Author Topic: Convention Preferences  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Convention Preferences
« on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
The  Midwest Crusaders have decided to stay together and run at Conventions in our area. Included in our AO is both Origins and GenCon-Indy. We have been running at Origins the last few years and I thought I would ask which of the major cons would be best to run at to give the most people a chance to play. I personally like the layout at Origins better but as both are within 10 hours of my house I can make either. I am going to be at GenCOn on Saturday to scout out the Miniatures area to see if they have made any changes that would make it more conducive to our paying to run for 4 days.

Please take a moment to voice your opinion. A vote is nice but I would like some discussion as well so please take the time to comment as well. Thanks

Hal "Topkick" Gibson
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Convention Preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:23:58 AM »
Wish I can add something this but I dont go to either con. (maybe one day)
I would imagine the one with the biggest mini gamer turn out would be your best bet.

Good luck either way. Hope a ton UWZ gamers go to whatever con your at.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 10:44:42 AM »
It is my opinion that GenCon is really not focused on Miniatures wargaming.  Origins is where you'd find the most people who would sign up for a game, just because it sounded cool.  Gencon would be good to get some exposure to a "wider" demographic, but convincing a 12 year old kid who plays primarily Yu Gi Oh and Magic to play a miniatures game is going to be a hard sell.   Convincing a Civil War/WW2/Napoleonics Mini's player to branch into Sci-Fi, much easier. 

Being at both, in an optimal world with unlimited cash resources would be best, but I suspect Origins would be easier to fill events at. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 04:11:42 AM »
I agree.

Origins is likely the better bet.  And I ithink if you contact Prince August about flyers to advertise their having the stock/ability to sell warzone figs,  might get them that business they need to make molds. :)

That and origins is closer to where I live now.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:24:14 PM »
it seems like GenCon has become strictly a WOTC commercial and card gaming spectacular, so I think that Origins is a much better bet.  Either one is close to me, although Columbus is much closer to me (Cleveland, Oh), so I could go to either.

I just like the atmosphere at Origins...it is very informal and always has good walk up traffic...(I played in 2 walk up games just to fill up space)

B...
one of the mysterious Midwesterners...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »
Hey Top,

You know that I'm down for whatever is decided as long as "the man" gives me the time off to make it.  Considering my, soon to be new, living arrangements, you know Origins has my vote.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.