Author Topic: wall fighting  (Read 6061 times)

Offline kwegibu

wall fighting
« on: September 24, 2005, 01:15:56 PM »
So years ago I played a game were we fought on a wall. It was remarkably fun, and yes everyone involved was sober.

I don't recall the rules we used to the "T" but  I decided to open a discussion about what they could have been or should have been.

1) Imagine that the field is actually a wall. This means any terrain would be "Ledges" .
2) Any time you move you are actually climbing, you have to roll if you are further then your height from the nearest ledge beneath you.
3) If you fall on a climb roll and fall back and hit a ledge, you take falling damage. If there are no ledges, you keep falling and die.
4) If you fall and hit someone,  they have to make a falling roll minus the would be damage for the height the person fell from or they fall too. 
4 alternative)  If you fall and hit someone, roll for falling damage on both of them. Then whoever is living should make a climbing roll to see if they hold on.
5) Ignore the rule about not being able to perform any other action while climbing. You can climb into close combat but not fall into it.
6) Anytime you are shot at and absorb/take wound roll to see if you hold on.

Yes, if one person is climbing up and one is climbing down there is an inherent advantage to being the one climbing down. But for both sides, it is really fun. Havent played with UWZ rules/troops yet though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 01:20:45 PM by kwegibu »

Offline Goldwyrm

• Journeyman
Re: wall fighting
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »
That sounds brutal... and fun all at the same time. 

I might allow models to move 1" per action without checking to see if they fall unless it was a very difficult climbing surface. I also would allow allow models to drop into CC as well as climb into it.  I'm not sure what the best way is to handle friendly models falling into enemy or friendly models. It would be like a grapple or CC if the stationary model is not knocked loose by the impact immediately.

I'm curious. Did you use the table with the figures standing up? It would be cool to model a cliff out of pink foam with ledges and then temporarily glue mount a 2" pin or wire under a models base. Or use small alligator clips with a pin attached and clip it onto a model's base.

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:53:59 AM »
I'm not sure what the best way is to handle friendly models falling into enemy or friendly models. It would be like a grapple or CC if the stationary model is not knocked loose by the impact immediately.

When we played we actually did play if you got hit you instantly fell yourself. And that worked fine.

We just imagined the playing field to be rotated, it was a spur of the moment decision :)

The idea of people swooping down from 12 inches into a charge seems to give the top person way to much of an advantage.

Having a safe distance per action isn't a bad idea. Since cimb is half, maybe it should be a third or for easier math a fourth.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 07:56:27 AM by kwegibu »

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:49:33 AM »
I like ideas like this, it keeps the game fresh without ever having to come up with new units or whatever that may unbalance it. Kudos!

Offline Goldwyrm

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:08:39 AM »
I like ideas like this, it keeps the game fresh without ever having to come up with new units or whatever that may unbalance it. Kudos!

Yeah, but I suppose tanks are at an obvious disadvantage in a wall fight  ;) Forget I went there.  :)

The reason I would allow dropping into CC is using optional rule 4 from the original post.  You can fall into an enemy model for free and what happens if both models survive the damage and make their subsequent checks to hold on? ..it would have to be CC, yes?.  I could see some really interesting attrition tactics for a Dark Legion player who started with the higher ground, like say a Corporation's assault up the side of Dark Citadel while it is raining undead legionaires.

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 12:18:22 PM »
Well, if both models survived and held on I think the poor guy who got hit deserves a break. hehe, thats absorbing some monster damage - the model that fell on him probably has actions reaming to attack in cc with anyway.

Maybe it's just an in joke with our group, but we've had games won by people jumping on people and thats what inspired this idea. Actually I recently won because i jumped one of my last guys off a 13 inch building onto a mounted hmg. And the hmg lost both his wounds.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 12:21:04 PM by kwegibu »