Author Topic: Little boy's big dream...  (Read 4429 times)

Sedekiel

Little boy's big dream...
« on: April 12, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
Hi from Greece fellow warzoners, this is my first post here. Before I post my humble request I would like to share a small story with you.

About fifteen years ago while reading a magazine about Pc games my eyes were fixed in a gigantic blue armourd German like figure that was included in the magazines pages. I saw the toy soldiers and fell in love with them. It was love at first site I tell you, so I started saving money to buy the game for Christmas. I remember even now calling the shop manager and asking to send me the box with the toy soldiers in blue armor carrying big guns. The manager did send me a box but not the one I hoped for. He sent me a 40K Space marine box instead. Whether you believe it or not it took me around two years to understand the mistake that him and I had made (WZ in Greece didnt have such a big group of fans) and I was way in 40K to turn back. I made a promise to my self though that one day I would start collecting and playing the game no matter what...
Years have passed since then and about six months ago while I was watching a movie about the trench battles in WWI like a flashback it all hit me in the head. That was it, I started having the WZ fever again. After some careful preparation I was sure all was set for the fullfilment of a  little kid's big dream, the money was there, I had convinced three mates to join me, and (most important of all) my girlfriend had agreed that we could find some space for another mini Army and then ... Excelsior went down.

I have red carefully almost all the talks about the license issues and I am pretty sure that some how a solution will be found to continue the game. I was trully touched with the love you are showing towards the game and I honestly admired the ideas of taking over the responsibility for it's future. I personally know a couple of independent retailers in Greece that maybe if you did something they could help with the distribution in Greece.

Although the game seems to be shaky at the moment I am determined to start gaming. That is why I have recently bought a great number of SM scouts and IG (Steel legion and Deathkorps) which are currently unpainted and are waiting to be converted to Bauhaus and Capitols. I am really ready to commence the game but I cannot find the rulebook. Is there anyone out there who has the rulebook in electronic form and maybe be able to send it to me via e-mail or give me an internet adress where I can find it.
If yes just answer this post and I will give you my e-mail.

Thanks a lot and keep it up, guys. It is guys like you that make guys like us never give up until our little boys big dreams come true...

Cheers fdr

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
Re: Little boy's big dream...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »
That's a touching little story.  Welcome to the forums, sorry you got here after hours.   Sorry, I don't have an extra rule book laying around but  I'm glad to see that you have joined in the good fight.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:02:08 AM »
Welcome here, Sedekiel! :)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:12:59 AM »
There are a few retailers out there, some in Europe I'm told (check German sites) who still have some stock.  EBAY is also a popular source and if you follow the strict protocols then you can trade with people on this site.

You story makes me nostalgic; when we started playing 1st edition, we had to proxy with 40k figs.  I fondly using the dreadnaught as the cybertronic eraticator death droid and having it get taken down by an inquisitor.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:53:43 AM »
i have had great luck on e-bay in supplementing my forces! i try to buy it now if the price is right.the auction usually has me dreaming of building a squad, then someone outbids me at the last moment. usually when im at work!
   40k...yeah, before i got a computer that allowed internet use, i used them to supplement my forces. we used the imperial guards jungle looking fighters as free marines. they looked sweet in martian camo! i switched heads on the imperial guard heavy weapons set and put the plastic imperial regular heads on them as well as backpacks and such. how else can i get a mounted heavy machine-gun for my imperials?! games workshop figs have skulls all over them! on every facet!!
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

Sedekiel

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 02:00:19 AM »
I am out there looking for the rulebook now. I have searched quite a few European retailers but with no luck yet. Anyway I will keep on searching. If anyone stumbles on an extra rulebook or a rule book in electronic form let me know. Thanks a lot guys for the warm welcome.

Cheers fdr

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 08:23:26 AM »
i dont know if they still have it in stock but you should mail them and ask :)

Warzone Rulebooks
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »
hey sedekiel! go to this url
      www.mutantpedia.com/Warzone.html
 i found that site by accident the other night while i wastrying to find out who is still selling warzone stuff. its a free site and runs on adobe. the links may take a minute to come up(actually 5-10 sometimes) but its a great source of reference materials!
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

Sedekiel

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »
Thanks Ezekiel you are a life saviour.

Cheers fdr