Author Topic: SO how does one start up a game once the company goes belly up?  (Read 9682 times)

Wedge

Re: SO how does one start up a game once the company goes belly up?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 01:37:03 PM »
Game Towne in the old town (fancy that) part of San Diego.  This was a couple year ago.  The real treasure trove was at a shop located on Carlsbad (also not far from you) but I don't remember it's name and it moved.  What I can tell you is that the guys at OT know about it and knew that it had moved (and probably the new location).  I envy you-it was a great store. 

I argue that where I'm located right now I am pretty much hosed unless I do a lot of on-line orders before they dry up at last or unless I can justify a road trip (gotta convince the wife and get off from work-then there are those pesky liberty limits).

I met the Carlsbad store owner at a convention in L.A. YEARS ago when target first died.  He was selling off all his warzone and chronopia for super low prices.  The next time I saw him at the convention (later that year) he still had some stock left and I bought it all.  Not that it matters now, but I am sure he didn't dive back into getting Warzone/Chronopia stuff pre-EE.  He didn't have the stomach for it.  I am sure the store is still there but highly unlikely to be carrying ANYTHING related to our favorite games.

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »
Game Towne has been Target/EE free for years, not even doing special orders....because they said their distributors didn't have whatever I was trying to order.
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 03:39:11 AM »
Yeah, the guy had a closet full of stuff.  Bummer it's all gone. 

I think that gets to the heart of the problem; I think Warzone should die.

Before you lynch me hear me out.

It should be repackaged and re-released under a different name (I never thought Warzone really fit the MC universe anyway).  The fluff and figures and even the rules although (the book istelf would need a rework) but give it a new name, throw out some new plastics for every corporation and re-launch it as something new.  I justify this with too many distributers and stores being burnt three times by Target/Paradox/EE.  Warzone has a bad name to it but "Dark Legions" or "Dark Eden: Soiled Womb" might have a chance.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 07:09:25 AM »
sounds too dark, but i think youre right. it needs a new face to be marketable.everything is dark or questionable and since even the church(brotherhood)has is quirks(how can a crucifier not be engineered or mutated?)maybe something darker would work?!corporate greed or megacorporate war or blackened earth/scorched earth...blah blah blah...
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

zebuleon

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 07:52:17 AM »
something new is exactly what fantasy flight is trying to do with the IP.  If they are successful then there may be hope for Warzone.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 05:44:05 AM »
Problem is, FF just wants to to a collectable figs game as a movie tie-in.  In essence they are going for the easy money.  I don't see them investing in the infrastructure required to do a TTG, especially with the molds MIA/KIA.  It will take another company with the fan love level of EE but with more assets.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!