Author Topic: Multiple ROF burst  (Read 6253 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
Multiple ROF burst
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:06:55 AM »
How far can the new target be from the old one I just killed, so that I can still hit it with the burst?
What about if it changes weapons range?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Multiple ROF burst
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »
As long as it is in the models firing arc the extra hits may roll over.

If you change range bands subtract the appropriate number of dice.

for instance
If an HMG had a ROF of 3X at PB then only 2X at short then you would drop the last die roll.   This is why it's important to roll the multi-RoF dice seperately.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline chribu

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 02:33:51 PM »
Ok
But what happens if the ROF increases?

PB 2X, SR 3X.
example a) first roll, kills model in PB; second roll, onto model in SR. Do i roll a third one?
example b) first roll, miss; second roll, kills model in PB. Do i roll a third one onto model in SR?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »
Your actions are based on the target range band. Your shooting at a squad of 6 models 1 is in PB and the other 5 are at SR. Action 1 2 shots if you kill the model at PB the 1 shot carries into SR. With the PB model dead you know fire 3X at SR for your 2nd action.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
so in essence ROF will decrease but not increase if change of range band, right?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »
No it will increase as soon as the model in PB is killed.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »
Uhm I'm not sure I'm getting this right.
Could you just tell me how my example a) and b) work?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »
Answer: a) NO, b) NO.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »
Ok, so we had a misunderstanding on my last one
"so in essence ROF will decrease but not increase if change of range band, right?"

If while rolling a multiple burst you change range band and the ROF decreases, you roll less dice, as PFC said.
But if the ROF increases, you DON'T roll more dice.
Otherwise answer a) and maybe b) would have been YES.

Did I get it correct?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 05:39:21 AM »
Your rate of fire does not decrease, it is the same as it was when that action began. If your rate at 1st shoot is 2 it stays at 2. If on action 2 your range band has changed to SR then your rate of fire would increase to 3. Thats as simple as it gets.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 06:49:30 AM »
yes but if my rate at 1st shoot is 2 and after killing the first guy with the first shot I move onto next range band, and rof is 1/1, then the second shot is not rolled
Isn't that what pfc.joe said?

Wedge

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »
I think you are both saying the same thing but have lost each other somewhere in the process:

Let me see if I can sum this up:

In the example above you have a weapon tha fires x2 at PB and x3 at SR.  You have an enemy squad in front of you.  One guy is in PB and the remaining five are in SR.  With your first action your fire at x2 and the first shot kills the guy in PB.  The second portion (x2) of that initial shot in PB is now lost because it cannot transfer to the longer range band.  You lose a die of attack whenever you switch to a higher range band with a burst weapon.
Just because the weapon is x3 at SR does not mean you would gain an extra die in this instance.  What determines the ROF is the first target fired upon--not the ones behind it.

To further explain the example above, on the models second action he may now fire his weapon into SR at x3 on the remaining five targets.

If his weapon was the reverse, say x3 at PB and x2 at SR, then this could happen:

Same example above he fires x3 at the lone guy in PB and kills with the first shot.  Then one of the remaining two shots would transfer to the guys in SR because you only lose one die transfering to the higher range band.

Offline chribu

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »
Ah!
So... lets see if i get it now!

Transfering to a higher range band loses one die. Always.
So if I have +3x3 in PB and +1x1 at SR (hypothetically), and with the first roll (at +3) I kill the only model in PB range, I have one more roll (still at +3, not at +1) for the other guy in SR.
?

Wedge

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »
Ah!
So... lets see if i get it now!

Transfering to a higher range band loses one die. Always.
So if I have +3x3 in PB and +1x1 at SR (hypothetically), and with the first roll (at +3) I kill the only model in PB range, I have one more roll (still at +3, not at +1) for the other guy in SR.
?

Correct.  Even though he's only +1 at SR for that weapon you still get the +3 at PB when the dice transfer to the higher range band.  Sometimes game mechanics are not realistic but you have to suspend disbelief in order to maintain game balance.

Offline chribu

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
Thanks! +1 for the help!