Author Topic: Medic ability  (Read 21774 times)

Offline mchiao

Medic ability
« on: September 24, 2005, 05:54:55 AM »
Is an action required for the medic speical ability.  It is not stated in the rule book but I would imagine that would be the case.  Just want to clarify it.   Wink

thanks

Offline kwegibu

Re: Medic ability
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »
If it didn't, that would mean if his entire squad was killed, and were all within 2 inches of him, he  could attempt to heal all of them and then do whatever he feels like with his three actions.

Wow.

Offline mchiao

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 05:12:39 PM »
If it didn't, that would mean if his entire squad was killed, and were all within 2 inches of him, he  could attempt to heal all of them and then do whatever he feels like with his three actions.

Wow.

I know.  That would be way cool.  Unbalanced but cool...

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 09:42:31 AM »
Is an action required for the medic speical ability.  It is not stated in the rule book but I would imagine that would be the case.  Just want to clarify it.   Wink

thanks

It is.  This has been answered in the FAQ, if memory serves me correctly.  The ability to assess and/or quickly treat an incapacitating wound requires that the medic spend an AC to perform.  The medic may not try this more than once per model per turn.  Failure indicates that the model is removed from the game (if this was the model's last WD).

Further, the rules state the roll for success must be below the medic's SA level - this is not correct.  The roll must be equal to or below the medic's SA level.

ex. 1:  Two model's have been wounded.  One is within the Bauhaus Hussar medic's two inch range, the other is three inches away.  He spends an AC attempting to use his medic SA on the closest model.  He rolls a 6 - success!  The model remains prone for the duration of the turn, and may spend an AC on it's next activation to either stand up or assume minimized presence (MP).  The medic spends another AC to move towrd the other wounded model.  On his third AC, he, again, attempts to treat a wounded model.  This time, rolling a seven, the wounded model is considered lost (the wound was too grave).

ex. 2:  On the following turn, two multi-wound models, within the medic's range, are wounded - one having one wound remaining, the other out of wounds and prone.  Our heroic medic springs into action and attempts to heal the models.  His first AC is successful, and the first wounded model may act normally on it's next activation.  On his second AC, he attempts to heal the second wounded model, but fails his attempt.  The wounded model is removed, as the medic is not allowed to attempt to heal the same model more than once per turn.  The medic may use his remaining AC normally.

Hope this clears it up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 09:47:56 AM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline mchiao

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 04:59:10 PM »
What if there are more than 1 medic surrounding a wounded model?  Can all three tries to save the model?  or is it the model that is being saved have to be removed immediately when the 1st save is failed?

just wondering...

thanks

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 11:20:29 AM »
What if there are more than 1 medic surrounding a wounded model?  Can all three tries to save the model?  or is it the model that is being saved have to be removed immediately when the 1st save is failed?

just wondering...

thanks

Good question.  It would be my belief that more medics would equal a better chance of success, therefore, I (not EE or the FAQ team) would say that each medic would be allowed one attempt per model.  That said, I cannot recall any units that are allowed more than one medic per squad.  If there are that many squads that close together, I hope you're not playing jjdodger - his AP RL troops would light you up!  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline mchiao

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:39:49 AM »

just wondering...

thanks

Good question.  It would be my belief that more medics would equal a better chance of success, therefore, I (not EE or the FAQ team) would say that each medic would be allowed one attempt per model.  That said, I cannot recall any units that are allowed more than one medic per squad.  If there are that many squads that close together, I hope you're not playing jjdodger - his AP RL troops would light you up!  ;)

Imperial Regulars allows you to have up to 3 Medics.  Not that they will save much...

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:42:55 AM »
...my belief that more medics would equal a better chance of success, therefore, I (not EE or the FAQ team) would say that each medic would be allowed one attempt per model

::quickly backpedaling::  According to page 76, "If the roll is failed, the mini is removed from play, a casualty of war."  As this happens immediately upon failure of the Medic roll, no other Medic is activated at that time (nor will be until the mini is removed), hence, only one medic per model per turn.  This is my opinion (as much as I adore my Pauldron Hussar Medics).  What to do in the case of a model that has been wounded, but still has one or more wounds left?  I dunno - FAQ team?

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 09:11:39 AM »
If a model is wounded to 0, a Medic may that turn spend an action to attempt to heal it back to one wound. If he fails the model is removed immediately. Mutilple medics do not work on the same wounded model like that.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 05:36:54 PM »
but what if the models has 4 wounds, and has taken 3 wounds? can each medic try once, and (if you have the dice of the gods), restore the model to full health? or can only 1 medic attempt to heal a model once per turn (ie, once the 1st medic tries, none of the others can try the same model)

Hope thats clear?

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 06:18:12 PM »
Correct Dodge.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 06:26:26 PM »
uh chief..
saying "yes" to an either or question is my joke.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 01:32:38 AM »
Apparently, Joe, I was unclear...  :P

Restated, in multiple choice for easy answering, the questions are:

Queston #1:
Given a model, who normally has 4 wounds. this model loses 3, having 1 remaining. There are 3 medics in the area. Can:

A) Each medic try and restore a wound, hopefully bringing the model back up to full life.
B) Once the 1st model has tried, successful or not, the rest CANNOT try.
C) Once the 1st model has tried, the others can only try on a (circle one) SUCCESS / FAILURE
D) Other (Please explain in FULL detail):

Question #2
To complicate the issue more (just because I can), what if the model in question has Regenerate?
A) Either 1 medic can try, or he can regenerate, not both
B) Can all try, regardless of Succeses/Failures
C) 1 Regen attempt, and only 1 medic attempt
D) Other (Please explain in FULL detail):

Your grade will be based on a Die roll.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 06:10:39 AM by jjdodger »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 06:16:13 PM »
I interpret Prime's answer to jjdodger's unclear question as, "Correct, Dodge.  Only one medic may attempt to heal any one given model - not matter how many wounds it has left.  No other Medic may attempt to heal that particular model that turn."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 03:11:42 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 08:39:42 AM »
but what about regeneration? can a model be healed by a medic, AND regenerate in the same turn? what about other spells/abilities that allow the same?