Author Topic: Soul flayer woes...  (Read 26076 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Soul flayer woes...
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »
Jon is out today.

As for the debate, I apologize if I muddied the waters. The CM revision to flight is in my head and I default to it. How about I post that revision and you use it instead?

Ah gee whiz - I guess if we gotta  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 03:13:18 PM »
OK, done. This should streamline things a lot. Thanks to the playtestors for their invaluable input. You know who you are.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 03:14:50 PM by E Prime »
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 03:40:29 PM »
Thanks Thom
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 03:48:25 PM »
NP- MP
Excelsior!!

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 04:13:26 PM »
Latin and Greek phrases
Definition of: excelsior
excelsior: Higher; more elevated.

I thought it would be an awesome user name.   ;D
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 04:17:41 PM »
True, I agree. But this helps avoid confusion. The actual latin is "ever upwards", which is used by the state of NY on their flag and by Stan Lee in his signature, where I first caught on.
Excelsior!!

lancekilljoy

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 07:50:38 PM »
um... i agree with firstborn in his response to the new rules and it is basically a better representation of my earlier question.  :P (side note, engineers are not good at this whole 'talking' thing so sorry if i sound rude...)

from firstborn:

'Soul Flayer Balefire Template Attack:

With these new rules, how will the Soul Flayer Balefire Template Attack work? Do you simply substract the models altitude as inches off the template? Where do you have to measure the template from? I could see some abuse if players simply measure the template from the base of the Soulflayer and point it straight down.

The real un-balance with this would be if the Soul Flayer could fly over the board, using Balefire on your non-polearm close combat troops, and wipe them all out without fear of retaliation.

Could you please clarify this?'

thoughts?

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 09:06:02 PM »
With these new rules, how will the Soul Flayer Balefire Template Attack work? Do you simply substract the models altitude as inches off the template? Where do you have to measure the template from? I could see some abuse if players simply measure the template from the base of the Soulflayer and point it straight down.

The balefire attack template (or any template weapon for that matter) does not generally work as effectively against ground-based targets as it does when they too are ground-based. Let's look at how.

Assume a SF is flying six inches above the table. If she were to attack at an opponent directly below her the template would hit however the area of affect is the width of the templates far end only. The cone aspect doesn't come into play.

If the targets were forward of the SF, you would measure the distance to the targets and add the altitude (in this case 6"). Let's assume the template is 7" long. If the opponents are four inches in front of the SF she could not breathe on them. (4" + 6"=10 inches actual).

Using this method the SF can only affect soldiers on the ground if they are up to 1" forward of her position. As the template is narrow chances are only one soldier will be affected.

Let's further this example. If she were only 3" in the air, she could hit models up to 4" away. How many models are affected? Measure the template.

If a warband is one inch in front of a flying SF at altitude 3, that would mean the models under the template would be under the final three inches of the template (7" template- 4" distance (3"altitude+1" lateral) leaves 3" of template. It's fairly simple and quite intuitive. In the end, a template attack works best when used against a target(s) in the same plane, be it ground-based or airborne. 

As for where the measuring occurs, it is determined by the edge of the models base.

The real un-balance with this would be if the Soul Flayer could fly over the board, using Balefire on your non-polearm close combat troops, and wipe them all out without fear of retaliation.

If you do the math, the affectiveness of a balefire fly-by is not very affective at all as to get the maximum affect from the template it would need to be low enough to be counter attacked.

Excelsior!!