Author Topic: So whats happening...  (Read 6070 times)

xeoran

So whats happening...
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
Right! Well I'm new (obviously) but a big fan of the Mutant Chronicles look. Now i followed the release of Ultimate Warzone with interest. Never a game i followed (it was in a dead period when I started wargaming). However i like the 'feel' and 'look'. However, what exactly is happening now. The rulebook on sale in the store seems different to UWZ (or did they just change covers?). Not only that but this place was damn hard to track down (how many ex-Excelsior sites are there?!). So, is the game still running? Wheres it going? Is the rulebook any good? What books are available? (do i need any form of Codex/Army List or is all the 'old' information in UWZ). Does UWZ exist or is it dead? Frankly I'm confuse so would someone set me straight...
Thanks.

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

Re: So whats happening...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:48:52 AM »
Well there have been some recent developments that leave the immediate status of Warzone in a sort of limbo, I will try to explain whats been happening both in the past and more recently.  Warzone is, as you know based on the Mutant Chronicles setting, which was developed by heartbreaker hobbies, which later became Target Games.  Under Heartbreaker/Target Games three boardgames, a roleplaying game, and two editions of warzone were released.  Unfortunately for gamers Target Games, for whatever reason, was unable to operate profitably and closed suddenly and without warning, leaving retailers with lots of unsupported inventory, gamers frustrated by a lack of support, and employees unpaid.  During the Target Games closure Target Games was merged with Paradox Entertainment, another devision of the larger Target Inc., who focused on the development of electronic media such as video games, and also on brand management.

Paradox-Entertainment had no interest in producing non-electronic games and Warzone sat in limbo for some time until Thom and Excelsior Entertianment (EE) pursued the game.  Paradox Entertainment granted rights to produce warzone, and Chronopia, under license to Excelsior Entertianment.  Since then EE has produced the Ultimate Warzone ruleset (UWZ) and several new minis as well as putting the existing minis back into production and marketing them both online and through retailers willing to carry their product.  The rulebook currently in the store is the current, and only edition of UWZ (perhaps you're remembering the cover from 1st or 2nd edition?).

Unfortunately, since Warzone was produced under license from Paradox Entertainment, the license must be periodically reviewed and renewed.  In the most recent review Paradox Entertainment decided not to renew Excelsior Entertainment's license, stating that they had other plans for the brand.  This means that Excelsior can no longer produce, develop, distribute or market products connected to the Mutant Chronicles Brand.  This is the most current information we have regarding the game, if anything more becomes available it will definitely appear here on the forums.

xeoran

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 11:39:20 AM »
Oh thanks! Are Excelsior still producing then or is whats in stock now all they're be? As a final note, I really like the art I've seen, is there any way to get it (or at least images)?

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 12:30:26 PM »
Well, we've had no comment from the people at Excelsior, so anything I say here regarding what can or can't be done with current stock is just conjecture, but since the Excelsior does not have license on the intellectual property of Paradox entertainment then they cannot manufacture, or distribute anything based on that property.  Which means that they could not sell even currently existing inventory.

If you are interested in starting Warzone, which I recommend you do, you will have to turn to the secondary market.  Most notibly to Ebay and Bartertown.com.

As for the Art Excelsior did distribute prints through Cafepress.com but since they've lost the license on the property that must also stop, and I'm not currently aware of anyone else selling prints of Mutant Chronicles art.  I'm not a lawyer or an expert on copyright law so do not rely solely on me but I think you could use art from the internet to create a print for private non-comercial exhibition in your home under the Fair-use agreements.

xeoran

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 01:23:30 PM »
Thanks! Okay, nice to know.

BTW, is the rulebook full colour...etc, what is colour. A side from the rules I'd like to get the art (preferably in colour). Another question is this is the rulebook the definative edition, i remember hearing of army books of some kind or backround books at least.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 02:54:54 PM by xeoran »

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »
The book is in black in white with a Color section in the middle.  The Color section actually does have a couple of the nicer pieces of MC paintings as well as general model painting tips and galleries.

This is the deffinative edition (especially as of now) at least till Paradox describes future plans.

The books that you heard about were either the second editions FOW's, Capitol and Bauhas, or the future planned supplementary expansion, Mars, the McCraig Line.  The Mars book would have had new units for all the different corporations/factions as well as expanded campaign/siege information.  But that most likely won't be made available now.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

xeoran

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 12:48:18 AM »
Thanks, pity it wont be made. >:(

Offline OLD Dwarf

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 03:53:44 AM »
Thanks! Okay, nice to know.

Another question is this is the rulebook the definative edition, i remember hearing of army books of some kind or backround books at least.

There was a MC RPG that featured several background books I have Imperial,Ilian,Algeroth,Brotherhood & Capitol
but there might be some others.The RPG itself had a great deal of background material.

OD
Baruk Khazad!
Khazad aimenu!

xeoran

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 04:26:55 AM »
Oh, cool...so e-bay is basicly the only place to get stuff...looks like I'll have to learn to use it.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 11:42:13 PM »
There was a MC RPG that featured several background books I have Imperial,Ilian,Algeroth,Brotherhood & Capitol
but there might be some others.The RPG itself had a great deal of background material.

OD

I am fortunate enough to own a complete set of all the RPG stuff, both first and second edition. They made source books for all the Corps, even the much anticipated Cybertronic where they finally settled the suspense of whether or not they were a DL front.  They only ever made the two forementioned DL books though.  However, they put out a 3 part scenario suppliment. 
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

xeoran

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 12:24:30 AM »

OD

I am fortunate enough to own a complete set of all the RPG stuff, both first and second edition. They made source books for all the Corps, even the much anticipated Cybertronic where they finally settled the suspense of whether or not they were a DL front.  They only ever made the two forementioned DL books though.  However, they put out a 3 part scenario suppliment. 
Cool, have to hunt some of them down then!