Author Topic: Quit your Kvetching  (Read 16339 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Quit your Kvetching
« on: February 26, 2006, 05:00:17 AM »

Frankly everyone here is moping around like it's the end of the world.

First-the game will go on.  It's the fans who have kept this game together time and time again.  The future for Warzone is bright with the movie tie-in (no matter how badly the movie may or may not suck).  Someone will pick up the line (for pete's sake, SST has a line years after even the CGI series died).  If the WZ movie goes well, there is every reason to believe Chronopia will get picked up and perhaps even a movie of its own.

Second-EE has hooked us up rightly well.  They have provided a comprehensive set of rules and stats for dang near every figure ever produce (I'm still waiting on my Super Razide stats guys).  Sure some models are missing but there is an entire universe of proxies out there.  My only regret is that some of the greens may never see the light of day (dying for a surveiler).  We have rules.  We have figs.  We have PFC Joe to answer any question that might come along.

Now break out the dice and lets see some gaming.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 01:59:36 PM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
EDITED TITLE
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:42:30 AM »
Although I'm not certain that I agree with the colorful nature in which this message is delivered, I am in full agreement with its intent. 

Yes, we must move on!  That is why I am hosting a local UWZ tourney out of my house today.  I have a bunch of guys that are just excited about playing because they enjoy the universe and the mechanics of the game.  And that is what is ultimately important.  So, I need to thank Thom and crew for bringing this game  back to the limelight, even if it was only for a brief time.

I will start a thread and post some pics of how things went in the tourney.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:34:09 AM by Wedge »
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Wedge

Re: **** EDITED TITLE ****
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 08:36:59 AM »
Veez,

While I also agree that we should not immediately throw ourselves off a "Gaming Cliff", I must warn you that the colorful language and innuendo used in your post is against forum rules.  I know you self-edited your own curse word but the intent is still there.  Please refrain from using such means of communication in the future.

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »
personally, i'm quite happy with EE's doing (i mean, the big manual, being able to use all the old models from previous editions).
I'm worried that in the future they might change Warzone to a collectable miniature game or that the old models won't be compatible with the new rules.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 10:11:47 AM »
Awww ya'll do love me =)

I know I have everyone behind me when I say that we love Warzone and the Mutant Chronicles universe and we'll be right there with it until it finds a new home, wherever that may be.

(and yeah, i'm terrified that the next lic. holder will go towards a collectible sort of game.)

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Quit your Kvetching
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »
I disagree, I have some fantastic lousy rubber heinously pre-painted figs that are not gathering dust in the bottom of my gaming shelf (only because they are in a sealed container).  I'm  sure each set of core rules will come with an eight page foldout eye chart that states what every special power is on each fig and it will have a great back story which no one knows because the only place it is spell out is an obscure website and the one paragraph blurb on the back of the box that is generic enough to be about anything for Warzone to Watership Downs: the Hopping.

I'm sure that WOTC/Hasbro is standing by to make our lives hell.

BTW-sorry 'bout the naught mouth.  I'll find some soap.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
Warzone is great, and its current incarnation is the greatest its ever been.  So even without mini's in production or the active support of a manufacturer we will continue to play, I don't think thats ever been in question.  What I guess to be the main cause of angst, is a combination of uncertainty about the products future, and possibly more apt a feeling of comiseration for the folks at EE who gave us an excellent rule set and started to really raise the bar for both properties, who have now had the rug pulled right out from beneath them, and will now have to drastically modifiy their business plan if they hope to continue to operate.  This, compounded by other personal challenges, means very difficult times ahead for EE, and I know I speak for everyone here when I say I want nothing but the best for the people who brought us such an awsome game.

As for the Future of Warzone I very much doubt there would be interest on the part of Hasbro/WOTC, the necessary investment and consequent risk are far too high.  Currently all mini's produced by WOTC are plastic, the molds they would inherit from EE, were they to be awarded the license, are for Pewter casting and will not take plastic.  This means that before production can even begin WOTC would either have to retool they're production process to include the production of Pewter minis, vulcanize new molds suitable for casting plastics, or most expensively resculpt the whole line.  This means a high initial production cost, and consequently a high break even sales point.  WOTC carefully weighs the break even point against market size before making any investment, and due to the niche appeal of Warzone and the small current pool of consumers they would have to grow the market in order to even break even, of course growing the market means advertising which further raises the front end costs of a product reducing the eventual return on investment.  Lastly Warzone is a Licensed product, which means licensing fees and perhaps oversight by the Licenser (As is the case with Lucas Film Licencing Inc. and Star Wars Minis)  This means production delays and additional costs.

This is why I predict that if the license finds a new home it will be with a more immature company more willing to accept risk, much like WOTC was in the early 90's when they tried to make a go of things in the then nascent Collectable Card Game industry.

Offline JohnL5555

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »
  I am also hoping that things turn out ok. I would humby suggest that a major faction of Warzone fans would debate the best incarnation ever statement. I think the core rules are quite good. But, their present presentatiion is not. The inclusion of OLD sculpts into the game as seperate troop types was a poor choice and will hopefully disappear.  I would vigorously debate that EE 'RAISED' the bar in any meaningful way for Warzone. That may have been part of the issue. Who knows.............

Thanks,

John

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:16:04 PM »
I can see missteps and potential errors in the EE handling of the Warzone license, but I can't see the inclusion of old sculpts as one of them.  I for one don't want to have a whole ton of minis rendered useless by a rules change.

Offline Pietia

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:41 PM »
I can see missteps and potential errors in the EE handling of the Warzone license, but I can't see the inclusion of old sculpts as one of them.  I for one don't want to have a whole ton of minis rendered useless by a rules change.
When Target released new sculpts for "old" units, they did not tell anybody, that the old sculpts are no longer "legal". You could field the old, ugly, big-headed Brotherhood troopers or the new, beautiful Trooper sculpts - it was your choice. So that would not be a problem, if EE decided to do it the right way.
Unfortunately, their decision to allow use of "old" sculpts not as alternate minis for a unit, but as a completely different units meant, that in some armies you HAD to buy the fugly minis in order to field a competitive army. Not everybody wants to spend their money on old sculpts.
The result? I tried to convert some of my friends to Warzone. After several demo games the typical result was "it plays great, but some of the miniatures are so ugly..." and they went straight to playing games with nice, new minis, like Warmachine or Confrontation (or 40k....). The "visual" aspect of this hobby is very important - if it weren't, we could as well be playing with cardboard counters.

No matter, what happens with the rules, I hope that the license will be picked up with a company that has both money and manpower, so that a single burnt-out casting pod or personal problems of a single person will not cause 2-3 months of pause in company operations, and the company will have enough resources to release new products on a regular basis. Even if the new rules will suck, we can play with the old ones with new minis...

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »
You nailed it.  The crux of the biscuit is that any new company taking over the license would have to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to resculpt and produce the lines for both games--I don't see anyone risking that kind of capital.

Even if an independent sculptor like Kev White for example, took over and produced the models, then they would still lose money because they would have to pay for the licensing.  There's no easy solution to this.  It seems like a small company could fill this niche market, but with the movie coming out, I'm sure people are seeing money coming from other directions.

We'll see what happens.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Wedge

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
  I am also hoping that things turn out ok. I would humby suggest that a major faction of Warzone fans would debate the best incarnation ever statement.

Are you speaking for them?  I am not trying to start a fight but where are you pulling this information from?

I think the core rules are quite good.

I agree.

But, their present presentatiion is not. The inclusion of OLD sculpts into the game as seperate troop types was a poor choice and will hopefully disappear.

This is debatable.  Some people really liked some of the older sculpts.  I know there are some that I prefer.

I would vigorously debate that EE 'RAISED' the bar in any meaningful way for Warzone. That may have been part of the issue. Who knows.............

As opposed to what?  No Warzone or Chronopia at all?  In my opinion that raises the bar from 0 to 100.  Could the product have been much better?  Sure, there is always room for improvement.  But nothing is ever truly error free.

And for future note, I am only stating my opinions--not my opinions as facts or on behalf of anyone else.

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »
also i hope the forum can be exported so that it is not all lost again...

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 04:40:13 PM »
The result? I tried to convert some of my friends to Warzone. After several demo games the typical result was "it plays great, but some of the miniatures are so ugly..." and they went straight to playing games with nice, new minis, like Warmachine or Confrontation (or 40k....). The "visual" aspect of this hobby is very important - if it weren't, we could as well be playing with cardboard counters.

I guess this is an area where your friends and I differ, I think the rules are by a large margin the most important element to a game.  When I first started Playing Warzone back in 96 I was 14 years old and broke.  To this day some of the most memorable games of warzone I can recall were played using 3/4" diameter dowels cut in 1.5" lengths as proxies.  We just wrote what the unit was on the top with a fine point marker and before you could say bob's your uncle we had a game going.  Sure cool minis are nice but give me a choice between a good ruleset that allows for a fun fast paced game or the best looking mini I've ever seen and I will choose the ruleset every time.

Of course the reality is with any company you will get something in the middle of those two extremes, and while there is certainly more I would have liked to see EE do with the product I think that what they DID do was superior to everything that had preceded it.  The minis that got released were better than any of the Heartbreaker or Target sculpts that preceded them, and the new ruleset was better balanced and more fun to play than either the first or second edition.  It is these points that I feel provide evidence that EE really did raise the bar with their work on Warzone.

Offline kman

• Journeyman
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
If I can throw my hat into this discussion, I really find myself in agreement with John on some of these issues.  While I tremendously appreciate the work that Thom did for these games, I was less than thrilled by the UWZ rulebook.  While it went a thanfully long way towards fixing what I considered problems with 2nd Ed., I felt it ultimately fell short of what made 1st Ed. so much fun, and so popular.  (Just a note, but at the peak of WZ's popularity, when the 2nd Ed. boxed set first appeared, the game was outselling Warhammer Fantasy in the U.S.).  Now before anybody cries out about 1st Ed.'s balance issues or just assumes that the "fun" I'm talking about was cybernetic arm equipped, command helmet wearing, Nimrod Autocannon carrying heroes, I can assure you, it wasn't.  And, unfortunately, my gaming group has long been of the same opinion, resulting in me being the only one to purchase any of the later incarnations of the game.

Second, I agree about the mistake of including older sculpts as individual unit types.  Of course, you are right Wedge, in that some people prefer some of the sculpts.  Heck, I've developed a renewed fondness for the Copplestone sculpted troops that were first released for the game and think the Capitol Special Forces figures are some of the best sci-fi models ever sculpted - far better than the resculpted Sea Lions that replaced half of them.

However, as Pietia noted, requiring individuals to buy horrible looking figures (and for as many old sculpts as we may like, everyone has at least one they dislike) to complete their army when newer figures, sculpted purposely to replace the old, are available seems like business suicide - especially in a business as depended on aesthetic value as the miniatures industry.

And that, Gallagher, is why I would have to respectfully disagree with you.  While a solid ruleset is what keeps players around long after a game dies off, it is high quality miniatures that attracts the unfamiliar gamer, whether by seeing pictures on the net or stumbling across the blisters in the store.  If your introduction to Warzone came through randomly picking up ol' Beach Ball Head, the Brotherhood Elite Sgt., you'd quite likely be immediately put off.

My recent mulling over what a new licensee of these games would need to do to become successful, I came across another reason that I believe removal of lower quality sculpts is necessary.  As it currently stands, WZ and Chronopia each encompass catalogs of miniatures that dwarf nearly all of their rivals.  While you might be able to convince a skeptical retailer that the games are now backed by a company that has the resources to produce a game that will keep customers coming back for new releases, you'll quickly run aground the second you show them the list of codes from which to order.  Sure, you can offer suggestions as to what figures make good starters, but eventually, a retailer is going to want to carry as close to the full line as they can; they don't want to lost customers to competing stores simply because they chose to make Enhances Chasseurs a special order only figure.

Gutting the line and retaining only the newest (or best) sculpts would definitely ease a retailer's shock.  Go ahead and keep molds for the old figures to provide for veteran gamers or those that want some "old school" character to their army, but by no means should they remain essential to the game.

As Wedge noted, not looking for a fight here, just some spirited discussion.  And for those that made it through all of my rambling, congrats.  :P