Author Topic: S.o.K. Spells  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Buzzu

S.o.K. Spells
« on: June 21, 2021, 10:00:59 PM »
Hy everyone.

Time for meetings, here in Italy, after a long and suffered pandemic lockdown, and I'm getting my Untamed out of the dust to March on the battlefield again. But I have to clear my mind about a couple of spells.

1) Dalan's cloack. The description of this spell continuously shifts from the word "model" (singular) to the word "them" (plural) so I can't understand if it affects a single miniature or an entire unit. If I compare this spell to the Jade Elve's "Illusory shroud" I see that they are really similar: same level (-3), same actions required (3, so you can do nothing else nor concentrate that game turn) and same price too (25 points, which is expensive!) ; the only difference is that the Illusory shroud ends at the end of the unit's next activation (which means I can cast it as the last activation of my game turn, and it will last for the next turn until I use the warband I cast it upon) and the Dalan's cloack lasts to the end of the turn I casted it (which means it will not disappear as I move the unit, but it will not hide it once the turn ends). Pros and cons for the different lasting, but seems fair as long as the spells work the same way. But my playing team always considered the Dalan's cloack to affect a single model, so I never played this spell because A) needs the wyrd to be close to the hero to hide with this spell B) it's really expensive, for a single model to be hidden by C) especially if it can be normally spotted! A single LD test will vanify the whole spell, so it's really unworthy it's cost in army points and it gives nothing else to be casted by the wyrd for an entire game turn. Maximum effort for a minimal result. This would radically change if the spell affects an entire unit: a hidden warband will get a couple of warriors normally spotted, ok, but the others will get their foes charging them from hidden, with a great advantage. So tell me, once and for all, which is the subject this spell affects: a single model, or a whole unit??? Thanks a lot.

2) Same question arises for the helm of Moriath and the sword of Gwrnach. I always considered them affecting a single miniature. Is it correct?

3) Not properly a spell, but a magic effect, another discussion I had with my comrades is about the cursed shots of the slingers. You form a warband and than you add the price of the desired effect to the warband total. OK. Now the question is: how long does this last? I always played this way: once you decide to use the cursed shot, it affects ALL the shots of your activation. The slingers have a RoF of 2/1 so if I don't move or aim this can be 4 shots with the special effect. One of my opponents replied that it should affect only the first shot of that activation, the subsequent ones are normal ones. Who is correct? Slingers are a very effective unit only when they use cursed shots, otherwise they are expensive cannon fodders to distract the enemy and be killed a moment after, so this is a really important question to answer.

Thanks for your help. Have fun.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:59:47 PM by Buzzu »

Offline Buzzu

Re: S.o.K. Spells
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 08:39:35 PM »
While I wait for an answer, which I hope will come before our national meeting (July the 11th), I specify that we play SECOND edition. In first edition, Dalan's cloack and Helm of Moriath do both affect an entire unit. In the secondth is not clear.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: S.o.K. Spells
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 05:52:33 AM »
I’m on vacation but I will try to get an answer before the 11th.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA