Author Topic: Charge / Counter Charge  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Horned God

Charge / Counter Charge
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
1) Do you feel that the need for going on Wait to Counter Charge can bog the game down?

2) What if an Unactivated model, who is not on Wait, can claim a Counter Charge action but only if an LD roll is passed. This means if a model has been activated, they cannot do this.

3) A lot of that depends on what the LD scores are set in the game. In Chronopia 2e that is generally 10 to 14 for the bulk of models and for a few 15, and still fewer 16+ so generally speaking a model has a 50 to 70% chance to claim a counter charge. It means models will be less likely to go on Wait simply to claim counter charge.

If you claim counter charge, then you still must meet and do the charge/counter charge initiative roll + LD of the model.

The big change: allowing models that are unactivated the opportunity to potentially Counter Charge, without the need to go on Wait, but if so, then an LD roll is required.

Furthermore, models who are on Wait, would not need to make this LD roll. There is a benefit then, being on Wait (as you also can do other things like Dive for Cover). I'm not proposing you can claim a Dive for Cover if your not on Wait, simply Counter Charge.

I feel this might potentially speed the game up and keep the fact some games get bogged down.

I'm wanting to see how you guys feel about this? If you do like it but feel an LD check makes it too easy, how about a modifier to the LD roll ie LD -2, LD -3, or LD -4, if so you can still make the roll but it makes it even harder with keeping that chance to do it. Meaning, if the key problem is you feel it opens up too much, a modifier on the roll will dampen the effect of having this option.

Give your thoughts please.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Charge / Counter Charge
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
Have you playtested this?  Off the top of my head, I never saw the need for the change. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
This is interesting but I think it can unbalance the game somehow.

Just think how sometimes it's solving the game the fact of charging units by winning the turn initiative. With your sistem, this benefit would fall down. An army with a high LD could potentially never be taken by surprise. Remember that a countercharge can be done by a model who's not the charged one, so a warband becames very difficult to charge.

I'm saying this against my interest, because I usually play the Untamed (S.o.K), and they have an average LD very high. This is already an advantage when checking who's the first in a countercharge situation, but the possibility of countercharging without being on wait could lead some pieces to be very strong: just think to warbands with throwing weapons (they will ALWAYS attack their opponent first, just checking their LD stat...) or the ones with ram attack or similar effects.

Let us know how it works after some tests. I'm curious about it.

Offline Raga

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 12:49:18 AM »
I have one more comment:

Every use of "free" countercharge will give one more action to move through battlefield.
Unactivated unit having for example 2 actions and 6 movement will be able to move 18 inches per turn.
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall