Author Topic: Scale model sizes for wargames  (Read 12860 times)

Offline Jase

Scale model sizes for wargames
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:51:05 AM »
I couldn't find any definite answers on this. Primarily I'm wondering what scale model sizes work with 28mm miniatures? I wouldn't mind getting a model of a MK IV Mother tank, modifying it with Warzone weaponry and making it a centre piece for my Imperials.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline micmellon

Re: Scale model sizes for wargames
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:07:23 AM »
I have no answer regarding your topic but I would love to see such a model in an Imperial force.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
I believe it's somewhere between 1/40 and 1/60, but I don't remember exactly.
I'm pretty sure that 1/35 is too large compared to the figures.
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Lopis

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
If I do the math right, it should be 1:60 to 1:70

Guy of approx. 170 cm (standard european) goes for 1700 mm. If he´s down to 28 mm  he is scaled pretty exactly the sixtieth part of his original size.

If you do that with 1800 mm Original downsized to 28 you should reach 1:64, so this would be a good guess.
If you go for a Person with another 10cm more for a helmet reaching 1900 mm now you reach 1: 68 and with a big guy and helmet reaching 2000 mm it is approx 1: 71,5

So my guess reach into the middle !

1:65 (that reaches the height of an average male from the netherlands with a height of 1,82 m)

;)

Just looked up the standards of the modelling range, take the common 1:72 models and you won´t be too far away (see above).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:12:50 PM by Lopis »
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Jase

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
Great, thanks for the help. I found the perfect model online through a local retail, have to put in a pre-order for it though
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Lopis

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:19:33 AM »
you´re welcome ;-)
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dane

• Board Member
  • The Board
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »
Depending on the model company and scale I have found that true 25mm figures do go pretty well with 1/72 scale. The larger 28mm to 30mm miniatures also have some good matches in the 1/48 (a little bit big) scale for vehicles and HO train scale (a little bit smaller), they are  close depending on what you are getting for scenery. If you look at the pilots in the vehicles you can make a great guess. I usually buy a sample from a company to get a pilot figure and match it to the scale of the game I am kitbashing to.

When I made the Archangle Jet that was in the old Target magazine, it was a 1/48 scale Revel, it did OK.

The 1/72 calculations are good ones, no dispute to them. Just some of what I have found kitbashing.

all glory to the bits box!!!

Bill
We are all who we say we are. So long as our actions are the same as our words.

Mishima prophet