Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 338987 times)

Offline micmellon

Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #840 on: June 10, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »
That is much more than a small peek or a sneak preview!

Great paint job and awesome boards. The example pages are nice, too.
But is it by purpose that the center technical parts have a weird similarity with a Futurama robot Roberto?  ;D

I am looking forward to get my copy of the rulebook and to test the final version!
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #841 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
Micmellon, not sure I follow about the Roberto reference! Do you mean the armoured chasseurs? I can assure you that any similarity was not intentional! Funny though!  :D

Frazetta, yes indeed! Missions are a core aspect of WZR, they have been devised so that no two games are the same.
You are also welcome to proxy your much loved old miniatures, using the new rules, in WZR. However, we had an overwhelming response of positivity at the show from fans both old and new. One remembered the stuff coming to the UK for the very first time in the early 90's!

Offline micmellon

« Reply #842 on: June 11, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »

That is Roberto from Futurama and the industria parts of the pages.
Maybe it is only me but the first thing I got into my mind when I saw the pages was Roberto...  ::)l
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #843 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:01 AM »
Haha! That's quite funny!

No, not intentional at all!

Offline Horned God

« Reply #844 on: September 29, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
Where did you get those character profiles? I assume that is the rules pdf printed and laminated? Can we get a copy. The rules I've seen so far from the site don't really include much in the way of stats or it 'top secret'.

Do the owners still have the attitude that their point system is a secret not to be published with the rules? I think that is a mistake. I thought about it. I'd rather ignore the official points if that is the case, and just create my own point system that closely or exactly aligns. That way I can play with a point system. I've gamed enough to know that is a mandatory requirement and could care less if someone said 'but then its not official'. Fact is, every game we play as gamers is 'official' as long as we have a pre-stated set of rules and a logical point system that (to our best knowledge) has a high degree of balance. Yet, it would be grand if they'd just publish one with the rules, saving me the effort. Plus, if and when the game goes to game heaven years from now, unlike most dead games this game will have a point system that future gamers will use. Take the long view. Think about it this way, first edition and second edition Warzone died, so did a lot of other games, and yet some still play it and eventually the fact that a point system was never done becomes a thorn in the side of those gamers. They either create one, or in the case of VOR, tweak it so its fixed.

Warzone Resurrection isn't published and thus it is not too late to include it, or even once it is, you an always release it later, for free or for a price. Sale it if that is what you want to do. Those who care about such things will pay for it, say 5 dollars for a pdf.

When I see a model is listed as 210 points. I want to know why? If the points reflect his stat profile, weapons and damage, abilities and any special model status (ie spell caster, vehicle) then it should be easy to see why its 210. It would be great to have a little set of model profiles in the back of the game book with a math breakdown of each model profile and their cost.

The game proports to be a game for the 21st century, but without such additions your really just pimping a 20th century idea and a backward bad one at that). Step up and put your mouth where your money is give gamers what they truly want and need, that includes a point system. It is highly useful for players present and future.

The model and terrain in the battle look nice. You should make a You Tube video series. That is another thing, back in the day companies like Excelsior and Target didn't have resources like You Tube. One key thing I like about Infinity is you can see awesome tutorials and other videos about that. If Warzone Resurrection is truly a game for the 21st century then you WILL follow and make such a you tube series, otherwise your ignoring a great resource and again making a 20th century game and I remember reading that isn't what your stated goal is. If it takes time and effort to do that, and that is your plan all along kudos to you.

I assume the game rules book will be out by next summer (Gen Con perhaps?).

I am interested in the game templates. I saw a template pack somewhere on the official prodos site? Got any created? will they be made of that plexi-glass material? much like Infinity, Metropolis games had?

Will you make a long skinny 'light' and long fat 'heavy flamer template? 

Offline Prodos

« Reply #845 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »
Hello!

The WZR book will be out by the end of the month250 ish pages, with all the rules, missions and stat lines for all the minis we have released and 10 further.

In the book one also has the opportunity to create their own heroes!

Points like in any game is integral. The system we use is based on mathematical principle! Hence the Everassur is 210 and legionnaires 10 for example!

Templates: there will be a shotgun, LE/SE and small flames / big flames so 3 in total covering 5 weapon types. They are and will be made out of acrylic.

Our kick starter pledgers received PDFs of all the stats and full rules. They are preorder able in book form on warzonegame.com

Offline Horned God

« Reply #846 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »
Thank you. I look forward to all these neat warzone things. If it is possible, try and make a Prodos appearance at Gen Con next year. That might really help the game out in the US and the US had a lot of warzone supporters.

Perhaps you guys can do a little YouTube video about the experience and game at Gen Con 2014. It would help launch the game here in the US.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #847 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
Can someone explain the following from the new rules:

AVV

I see this is a value, for example, 3

What is A (armor) 16 (12) mean? is that 12 somehow a vehicle armor? and would AVV reduce it? Does that mean 12 would become 9?

How do range bands work. If something has a range of 18" is there point blank (6"), short (12"), medium (18") and thus 3 range bands with a set modifier, or one specific to the weapon?

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #848 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
Can someone explain the following from the new rules:

AVV

I see this is a value, for example, 3

What is A (armor) 16 (12) mean? is that 12 somehow a vehicle armor? and would AVV reduce it? Does that mean 12 would become 9?

How do range bands work. If something has a range of 18" is there point blank (6"), short (12"), medium (18") and thus 3 range bands with a set modifier, or one specific to the weapon?

AVV is the anti-vehicle value.  This value is subtracted from a vehicle's armour (Strength isn't used against vehicles anymore; strictly vs. infantry/monsters/etc.).

When a unit has a parenthetical armour value, that means the one in parentheses is the minimum it can be dropped to.  Basically saved for tough units with very heavy armour who will always have a good chance to save against damage.

The game, as it stands, does not have range bands.  Instead the difficulty of a shot tends to ramp up naturally as cover stacks.  If more than three pieces of terrain intervene between you and the target, then only a natural '1' will hit.  So like most previous versions of WZ cover is of great importance but it has also basically made long shots on boards with dense terrain a tough prospect (should help close-range factions shine if they can keep cover stacked in their favour).  This is probably one of the largest changes between the new edition and previous ones.  Though as I was a fan of the twin range-bands of 1st Edition, I'm finding this iteration's simplicity to be refreshing.

Of course, some or all of this may be subject to change.  We will have to wait for them to release the final PDFs that incorporate the rules updates that went to print.  Should be interesting.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #849 on: October 26, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
I just noticed the devout rider model is perfect for being a Blood Hunter for the devout (minus the gun which you cut off and replace, add a javelin and shield, easy to do considering its all resin bits)

So I see many models have been painted (by professionals no doubt) and it looks like they are ready or almost ready to start making real, eye candy demos they can stick on videos as I want to see the game in action. I really do.

Someone review this game and break it down, poor over the mechanics and explain things like AVV and show in a video. That might be the best way to do it.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #850 on: October 28, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
I noticed that the book above states: Armor Type and then lists as Light Armour

That is English English right? I get that guys from England helped make the game, but please just use American English it is better. This is not Games Workshop.

Be consistent: use Armor in all cases you write the word.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #851 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
(...) but please just use American English it is better. (...)

I´d ask you for evidence to support your assumption, sir?
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #852 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
Umm, a guy from the UK didn't help make it.  It is a product made in the UK (though I believe two of the staffers outside of Mark are ex-pats from other parts of Europe that live in the UK).  The KS was even one of the few to be done in GBP(£) since they have no North American staff to handle things on this side of the pond.

But while I agree that consistency would be nice, it is really easy for it to creep in to a project in this day and age.  Most software defaults to US English and sometimes this will futz up something written in a program that has been switched to an UK English setting (or worse yet had UK English added to a US English dictionary; or vise versa).

Neither is really superior of course (I mean, the o vs. ou difference isn't even the big one and I much prefer re to er in most cases; most US spellings don't cut down on letters, they just swap positions).  Then again maybe Prodos are using the lesser known Canadian English.  We will spell things either way when it suits are purposes because our dictionaries default to one or the other at random.  

As a Canadian I can manoeuvre for a better defensive position to get more mileage out of my armor.  Then when they have labored against my superior position and overextended themselves I can go on the offence having gained a sizeable advantage.  And I don't have to feel bad about any of that (even if my spell check is barking at half the bloody words in it; and hilariously enough it isn't consistent about 'em either, flagging some US and some UK spellings as wrong  ;D ).

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #853 on: November 03, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I noticed that the book above states: Armor Type and then lists as Light Armour

That is English English right? I get that guys from England helped make the game, but please just use American English it is better. This is not Games Workshop.

Be consistent: use Armor in all cases you write the word.

Hey, look...a nit!  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #854 on: November 05, 2013, 03:31:39 AM »
I feel massively insulted!!!

The game is manufactured and written by Prodos Games, a company registered and entirely based in the HEART OF ENGLAND.
Therefore we use English! All references to Armour in the rulebook are referenced as such.

Even 2nd edition was in English, because the head office was in Edinburgh, Scotland.

As for superiority, don't even go there. One is not better than the other. Sure you may have preference, I know my Polish colleagues prefer to use American pronunciation, but in terms of writing, they use 'proper' English.