Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 341928 times)

Offline brynolf

Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #465 on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
Yeah, we want masked, maskless, gasmasks and everything! =D

Offline micmellon

« Reply #466 on: March 05, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
Hey the guys from PRODOS are actual crazy! The GRIZZLY is back!  ;D ;D ;D
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #467 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »
The Grizzly?!  Wow-- was kinda wishing they'd take on some of the smaller more manageable Bauhaus vehicles.

D

Offline Grinder

• In war, truth is the first casualty.
« Reply #468 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:01 PM »
It is quite small, its only 4 x 7 inch, i think this scale is moore suitable for a wolf tank. But i have to buy one as the collector i am :D

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:10 AM »
The Grizzly?!  Wow-- was kinda wishing they'd take on some of the smaller more manageable Bauhaus vehicles.

D

They will!
The Grizzly is awesome, I can't wait to paint one. I love painting vehicles, so many weathering opportunities!

Offline Grinder

« Reply #470 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:29 AM »
Me too,  i love to really make the vehicle dirty and realistic. I think i will paint the the old and the new in the same style and make a comparison shot. Rob one think you maby could pas on to the Prodos guys is to make the traks smaller. In the old model the resin is cipping everywhere  >:(

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
« Reply #471 on: March 06, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
I hate to be the sceptic all the time, but the Grizzly, really?

It's really one of the worst vehicle models there ever was in warzone, one of the worst i've ever seen in general actually. One unproportional mess of a tank. That was only made up by it's ridiculous size (which in turn made it largely unplayable) and now, at 10x7 inches, it seems terribly out of scale as well. I really don't get why Prodos sometimes moves away from very solid, iconic designs (hello Attila) but then keeps ridiculous stuff like this Grizzly exactly like it was. Just seems like the redesigns just aren't where they need to be tbh. Also, why do Dark Legion and Bauhaus get to keep their old Assault Rifles, but Cybertronic has to deal with these supersoaker kind of guns? I really loved the old design there and again, don't see much reason to change it.
In general, regarding vehicles I was hoping more for stuff in the vein of those APCs and stuff that can be seen in the 2nd Edition Armybook, there were some really good designs there. Also very curious what's gonna happen to the Eradicator (which badly needs a redesign tbh).

On the plus side, the Vulkans look really awesome now, and on the latest pics the bauhausers' shoulder pads are in the right place. Venusian Rangers look good as well.
Oh, and I really love the Mortificators and Tatsumoto by the way. Really true to solid old designs, very well done.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:17:26 AM by Niart Gunn »

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #472 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »
Imho they should stick to the original mutant chronicle art.

The eradicator deathdroid had a "charming" appearance on purpose. The death egg was also sold as a miniature toy to young children, making Cybertronic's military assets friendlier and so much more advanced than corporate assets. About the same reason there's a smirk on atila cuirassiers. The whole "Terminator" look of the corporation was awesome, from the T100 to Vince Diamond's Shwarzenegger traits , and the clean alloy used on the art (weapons or troops) stood out from other factions.

The new art for chasseurs almost look like dark legion necrotech to some extent.

I am quite happy they are trying to revive the IP though, and the undead legionnaires have potential.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:16:11 AM by Oakwolf »

Offline Prodos

« Reply #473 on: March 06, 2013, 06:35:58 AM »
A great review of the Razide and Undead Legionnaires by Templarcrusade01: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE31NtzI_28

Offline Grinder

« Reply #474 on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:32 AM »
After watching this video, I am completely in love with the Razide mini. If it only have had a Nazgaroth, it would have been perfect. But you cant have everything  ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:57:31 AM by Grinder »

Offline micmellon

« Reply #475 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »
How big was the old Grizzly?
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #476 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
The razide looks rather cool in design, though in fact the nazgaroth as drawn in the original books is such an iconic weapon for them.

Undead legionnaires are probably the more interesting miniature that i have seen so far, and not just because i am a DL player at heart (yes, balanced dark legion player :P).

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #477 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »
How big was the old Grizzly?

No clue on the model, but to be true to the RPG a model would need to be 16.9" long and 6.8" wide.  The old one mini was probably close to this (way too tall and squished though).

That said this new one is closer to the much smaller Grizzly drawn by Bonner for the cover of the Bauhaus source book.  Looking at the size of the gunner/commander, it is easy to see he takes up half the width of the turret (or thereabouts).  With a 28mm mini being about an inch wide that means a 28mm Grizzly turret (from the Bonner painting) should be a little over 2" wide give or take.  The Grizzly being produced by Prodos is 4" wide and the turret appears to take up half its span.  So given that, the Prodos cut-down Grizzly is actually the ideal size of a super-heavy tank and matches up to Bonner's iconic rendition quite well.

For reference, given the dimensions in the RPG, a Wolf, converted to 28mm is still smaller than this beast (it would be about the size of a Rhino or Predator from GW) at 4.5" long and 2.8" wide.  The art for the Wolf makes it look much bigger than it really is.

So basically, if Prodos retcon the Grizzly to be more like the super-heavy tank envisioned by Bonner rather than a land cruiser, then it still occupies a size band larger than even a to-scale Wolf.

For reference the new Grizzly is around the size of the experimental Russian KV-5 Super Heavy tank and is a fair amount bigger than a modern MBT like the Abrams or Leopard.  I think fitting it in to skirmish scale as a 100 ton monster-tank is a nice touch, and making it conform to the dimensions Bonner had it at makes it much more workable at this scale.  They can still make MBT-sized tanks that are smaller than it that still conform to the expected scale of a 28mm MBT.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
I hate to be the sceptic all the time, but the Grizzly, really?

I had a friend who coveted the Grizzly, and finally got one.   Was it totally unusable -not really.  Was it unbalancing? Probably.   Did it ever even hit the table, once? NO!   

Final question, however, is the kicker.   When he displayed the Grizzly at the local FLGS during a game, did he get loads of people asking him about the cool big vehicle?  YES!   

It is a marketing strategy to try and get the attention of different groups of consumer, and one of those groups is the "bigger is better" consumer.   
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
I'd imagine the size of the new Grizzly probably represents it as a better component of a game.

It will be a fantastic addition to a demonstrators collection as well for sure!