Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 341488 times)

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
Before my aestethics considerations, I think one thing has yet to be totally explained:
What is this new Warzone project going to be? A reboot of Mutant Chronicles, or an evolution of the original setting?
This is important to justify the differences with the classic Mutant Chronicles we have been loving. Do you want to change the classic concepts? Ok: just explain, in the background story and the fluff, WHY there have been such changes. Has the Brotherhood found a way to purify technology so that weapons and such could be more sophisticated? Has Cybertronic advanced in their researches? With such explanations, it would be easier to accept the new concepts, because these changes will be blended with the original canon.
If a reboot is what is going on, well... I do not think it is the right path to follow. It would always be something different from the MC we have learned to love, and it is a risky way to impress new customers. Which is the problem? Big shoulderpads? Bulky weapons? Well, that is what made Mutant Chronicles... Mutant Chronicles. Maybe a better approach would be to put classic bulky weapons and shoulderpads as optional pieces (maybe instead of a legs/arms pose).
Other point is: I hope Facebook would not be the main site where this project will be discussed and supported. I do not use it (and I won’t), so I really hope that opinions of non-Facebook users will be taken into consideration equally.

The guys at Prodos appear to be old-school Mutant Chronicles fans.  So while I would still term this a re-boot (i.e. they are remaking everything in the game from the ground up), the aesthetics scream MC/1st Ed. Warzone to me.  And since the RPG side of things is being rebooted I have been following a bit about that as well, and it sounds like they will be sticking to what made Mutant Chronicles, Mutant Chronicles (and we already know that communication is occurring between the RPG team and Prodos).  So I don't think you need to fear a movie/COG/FFG incident again.

As for the use of facebook, websites cost time and money (and usually more of the former than anything).  They have already said the game will have an official website and forum, but for now a combination of social media and forum visits seem to be a fairly good way of getting info out.  The thread over on DakkaDakka is pretty active, I'm keeping one going with updates on RPGNet (and the occaisional update from the Prodos guys), Facebook gets a fairly good clip of new news, and now with the Kickstarter, they have an organized and centralized update method.  A website will come eventually, but their use of the internet as a news spreading tool is certainly commendable.

Dark Legion:
Alakhai and Necromutant seem great. The Razide seems too small. The Legionnaires are a bit too.. anonymous. Some metal plate on their skin should characterize them better.

Apparently a stretch goal is to include corporate shoulder pads as bits if they make it to plastic production.  I hope they get to 70k on the Kickstarter.

Cybertronic:
A bit too futuristic if compared with other pieces. As I said before, if this level of technology will be well explained in the background story, no problem here. The new Everassur design is better than the old concept, but it should have a more dynamic pose.

They look about as futuristic as they did in Mutant Chronicles and 1st Edition.  Any time Prodos show off a low-tech/industrial unit, people seem to get mad ( ;) ).  But Cyber have always had chromed units, augments out to wazoo and other high-tech bits.  That's what set 'em apart from the rest of the diesel-punk factions.  Hell, I'd say their weapons look a bit lower tech this go around since they aren't wielding things that look like they fit in to Ghost in the Shell.  :P

Bauhaus:
Well... I do not like it. Sorry. Shoulderpads shoul be shuolderpads, armplates should be armplates. My biggest concern about new Bauhaus design, even after the recent re-design, is its lack of details on armours; is it related to the use of resin/plastic? Why has its design to be so sharp-cornered? Why its surfaces should be so plain? The new Battlesuit concept (though better than the previous one) seems a walking washing machine with a man inside...
For the shoulderpads (and just for them), i would recommend this design:

SNIP IMAGE

It is not as exaggerate as old illustrations, and it is more characteristic.

The actual concept artist chimed in on the sharper, angular details.  He wanted to go in a different direction with the shouldpads.  He had always felt that rounded shoulder pads had been more Imperial (and I tend to agree).  Their only unique feature was being elongated.  But if one is looking to tone down and modernize (just a bit) then shortening Bauhaus pads make them look almost exactly like Imperial ones (see: image you posted...  remove the helmet and the insignia and I would think it to be a great rendition of an Imperial trooper).  Prodos may change to less angular shoulders.  But I quite like the angled, squared look.  Always seemed odd the a faction called Bauhaus had so many rounded features anyways.

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »
Hi guys, Prodos successfully reached £35,000 today. They express their eternal gratitude to all the awesome fans out there that have pledged.

Here is what the Bauhaus starter pack is going to look like (pre-3d, which is coming soon!):

Keep the pledges and suggestions coming. Don't forget to recommend to your mates and pledge early. Remember that certain things will only come out and get done in the way you want if certain targets are reached. By reaching £35k, Prodos are also giving everyone 1 LTD edition card pack PER starter box they have pledged for!

;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:29:45 AM by rob_alderman »

Offline micmellon

« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
Hi guys, Prodos successfully reached £35,000 today. They express their eternal gratitude to all the awesome fans out there that have pledged.

Here is what the Bauhaus starter pack is going to look like (pre-3d, which is coming soon!):

Keep the pledges and suggestions coming. Don't forget to recommend to your mates and pledge early. Remember that certain things will only come out and get done in the way you want if certain targets are reached. By reaching £35k, Prodos are also giving everyone 1 LTD edition card pack PER starter box they have pledged for!

;D

Nice options for the Vulkan but I still miss some weapon options.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline semai99

« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
I like the new Vulkcan I prefer the one with the fans on the back everything seems to be dropping into place nicely

Also if you were wondering what the cybertronic hand signals are in the pictures

I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Lopis

« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
Nearly there !

Vulkans getting better, just a bit more ;-)

The back is better thatn the early designs, the feet now look like a machine as they should and yes there´s the turbine on the back !

Say do I see that right, that the short arms end in a slot where the waepon-modules are put in ?

So there´s still apossibility to other weapon options ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:11:24 PM by Lopis »
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
Yeah, the arms have been weaponless the whole time.  They show the weapon options on the main army picture (and HMG/autocannon and flame throwers), though I dare say there may be others as well.  The small dino-arms are just weapon hardpoints (just like the gatling arm was on the original).  No point attaching weapons when the main design isn't hammered out yet.  And just to be contrary I like the vented back with the holes.  The fans feel too exposed to me.  A nice alternative might be slatted vents as well.

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »
Here's a version posted with a couple of ranged mounts:

I wonder what kinds of load outs these things will have.  The design seems to be quite modular.  I could easily see some sort of fist/manipulator being an option.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »
Now I love the new design.... I always thought in the arms would be the weapons.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline kvaerne

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
Good, beautiful Vulcan , friends ;D

Offline Jase

« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »
God damn that's a monster.

@Semai99, any chance I can get the link to those signal interpretations?
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Pollo

« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2013, 03:49:35 AM »
A website will come eventually, but their use of the internet as a news spreading tool is certainly commendable.

But why hasn't the official site (with a proper official forum) come yet? Why such a countdown to see mostly concepts and very few images of the actual casting quality? How much time do we have to expect for a sample of the rulebook?
I repeat: I love what Prodos is doing; but, IMHO, these choices are hindering their own work. Anyone can speculate on their reasons, butI'd like to have some official answers. ;D

Cybertronic:
They look about as futuristic as they did in Mutant Chronicles and 1st Edition.

I disagree. Just look at the new Armored Chasseur.
And comparing the new Venusian Rangers, the Armored Chasseurs and the Mortificators, they seem to come from three different games...
I wonder how can new Bauhaus and Cybertronic concepts fit with old illustrations. I hope there will be much more new art and coherent explanation in the fluff. The FFG CMG tried to maintain old illustrations and just mix the new concepts with them; but the result was just weird and ugly. Instead, WZ 2nd ed. blended the innovations evolving the existing background, and that is one of the few things I like of 2nd ed.

On the shoulderpads I have posted:
obviously, that is not the classic Bauhaus shoulderpad design. They were made for an old project of the MC movie (and that is what it should have been...). I was only trying to find a compromise between classic design and realism.

New aestethics considerations:

Venusian Rangers (and still Bauhaus in general):
They are not really different from Hussars. I think they should be characterized more.
Bauhaus design should somehow instill awe in their enemies. I do not have that sensation when I look at the new miniatures... anyway, I like the Vulkan Battlesuit more with those heavy weapons attached.

And then... everybody dance now!  :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:07:20 AM by Pollo »

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:31 AM »
It's important to keep in mind that Prodos Games is run by 2 people and not as a full time venture. The sculptors, concept artists etc are in different countries and working on a freelance basis. EVERYTHING that you see has been shown to the liscense holder at Paradox. Nothing, not even the website, can go through without their knowledge.

Be aware that websites etc are all on the go, but at this point, the Kickstarter is doing that job for them. The Website would contain no extra material, it would contain a forum, yes, but that can also wait for now.

If the Kickstarter is really successful, then who knows what way the company will go!

Again, this is all speculative on my part, I am only a friend of the company, not a spokesperson!

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:33:06 AM by rob_alderman »

Offline Lopis

« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2013, 05:45:57 AM »
Did I say Judicator too bulky ?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563115_10200529139332448_1731437121_n.jpg

this one is a perfect hit for me. I want this one (the smaller one) !
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline brynolf

« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »
Did I say Judicator too bulky ?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563115_10200529139332448_1731437121_n.jpg

this one is a perfect hit for me. I want this one (the smaller one) !
Yeeah! the left one is perfect!