Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 339046 times)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
Overall, I'm .... unimpressed.  Don't get me wrong, there are some design aspects I love and I don't have any problems with using Kickstarter to finance further developments beyond the initial three force offerings it's just...

If you're going to use decades old art to promote your kickstarter/relaunch and claim that you're going to be heavily influenced by that original art then don't get butt hurt and defensive  when old members that have been stewing in your newly acquired ip for decades point out that your new designs look nothing like the previously established design ethos.  Especially don't get upset at criticism when your kickstarter marketing is aimed directly at nostalgia and not at acquiring interest from new players in an oversaturated market, even more so when the old timers will be a huge portion of the primary investors in your expanded production line financing plan.
Tl;DR  listen to the people that want to give you money.

Overall force composition is one boss, one squad and one heavy, which leads one to speculate about whether the points system (which they spoke of as being statistically modulated (GOOD!)) is more of a one vs one equalizer or more of a paper rock scissors form.  TL:DR  how the heck are ten legionnaires equal to ten Hussars?

Algeroth: Love em, why isn't there a necromutant included in the box?

Bauhaus:  .....  scrap the mech inf unit entirely.  take everything else back to the boards and fine tune it a bit.  It's close but tooo... generic Sci-Fi atm

Brotherhood:  Why do we have to keep having Cardinal Dominic?  And the Judicator is a bit.. anime power suitish.  Cool but again, the history was always diesel punk, not cyber punk.

Cybertronic:  Actually everything is really darned cool.  except for the  Everassur.  It's wrong in every way.  It honestly looks like a Warmachine Warjack.  With the extra heavy torso, small legs, oversized weapons, square armor plates, randomn bolts, offset and forward canted head, how is this thing not made by Privateer Press?  Especially jarring when -EVERYTHING- else in Cybertronic is curved, sealed surfaces with, excepting the EDD, proportional human shaped bodies.  The Everassur just needs to be scrapped outright.

Anywho... the jury is still out.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »
Frazetta, the Hussar jacket actually comes from 18th Century-mid 19th Century uniforms. :)

All feedback is being taken on by Prodos Games. A little positivity goes a long way.

Anywho, what do you think of these finals? I think they are ace!

Offline micmellon

« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
Aaahhh, these are nice ones.

Later (after you found the final designs of the Megacorps  ;) ) you could add versions with some old armor pieces and clothes.

But thumb up!
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline leutenantbrittan

« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »
Hi!

The legionnaires look good but as I mentioned elsewhere, possibly a little too generic, maybe some shoulder pads or helmeted heads would be good to include as separate extras.

I concur with the comments about the use of the Paul Bonner artwork for marketing! If you say you are heavily inspired by it, why throw it all out as with the Bauhaus designs.

Also the Everassaur chappy just doesn't look anything like a Cybertronic construct. Hes too bulky and Gorilla like and as others have said, far too much like something from Warmachine. Possibly with a sleeker armour, less bits and bobs and a toned down gun (not to mention removing the smokestack) would improve him a bit!

Sorry for sounding so negative but Warzone is such a brilliant game and the initial concepts were really solid but each new pic makes me think they would have been better off creating a new setting entirely as the only similarities with the original Warzone are the names. Even the iconic weapons have been dropped for the most part for bitty and oddly high tech replacements!

Come on chaps! look at the original setting! Most of the folk backing it are going to be those who collected and played it first time round so its a bit daft to diverge so far from what your own potential customers want!

Offline semai99

« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
Cybertronic:  Actually everything is really darned cool.  except for the  Everassur.  It's wrong in every way.  It honestly looks like a Warmachine Warjack.  With the extra heavy torso, small legs, oversized weapons, square armor plates, randomn bolts, offset and forward canted head, how is this thing not made by Privateer Press?  Especially jarring when -EVERYTHING- else in Cybertronic is curved, sealed surfaces with, excepting the EDD, proportional human shaped bodies.  The Everassur just needs to be scrapped outright.
-PFC joe

I get where you are going on the Everassur as how would that get passed by the Brotherhood they would deem it a heretic machine and would give them a good excuse to attack Cybertronic in the background of the Mutant Chronicles universe.

On another note is the game going to be purely skirmish or will we be able to fiend hordes of Undead Legionaries?
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »
Lets not forget they are re designing/ re imagining these units and the fluff.
which really needs to be done. So dont be too attach to anytihing.
for the record I reallly do like the new bauhaus.
What I'm really waiting to hear more about are the rules....so far what little been said sounds good.

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline MCmutant

• Journeyman
« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »
Since I haven't played any edition of warzone I can't really say much about the game system itself but as a Mutant Chronicles hardcore fan this is my point of view of the miniatures so far.
Overall I'm quite satisfied and considering a fact that Prodos need to satisfy both oldschool Warzone/Mutant Chronicles hardcore fans and NEW players aswell. Some of the new modern designs is quite ok and I can settle with that since I understand that some bits need to be uppdated to attract new players (who doesn't have a clue what Mutant Chronicles is from the beginning).

Dark Legion:

The Legionnaires have an ok modern design to them, as someone mentioned you should be able to put on some shoulderpads or something if u want to. I really liked that they used oldschool Kratach again.

Razide seems to be an ok miniature aswell and much better than the two latest warzone versions that was released :P , seems they tried to stay true to original concept art. Would be nice though if we got alternate version with oldschool Nazgorth and pose.

Alakhai was the concept art they showed up which made me believe in Prodos. This 100% true oldschool design is just plain awsome.

The Brotherhood:

Overall nothing here dissapoints me. Cool oldschool designs and feeling in the miniatures. Judicator looks big and impressive and love the Cardinal Dominic figure based on the Paul Bonner art.

Cybertronic:

The Chasseurs miniatures seems to me the best of two worlds. They flirt with Warzone first edition designs (naked big muscles and cyber enhancements) and new modern design that might apply to new players/people

Cuirassier can't say much since I have't seen a close up on the final version.

Everassur....I believe most have been said. Imo just scrap the current design all together, trial and error.

Bauhaus:

The named character seems ok so far. The Vulcan need to be a little more bulkier and the hussars... well just look at the first edition ones aswell as second edition and start from there.

There are some troops etc that Prodos can modernize to revive Warzone, as long they try to be true to some of the most Iconic characters and concepts in the Mutant Chronicles Universe.

Offline Grinder

• In war, truth is the first casualty.
« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »
FINALLY! For me it will be a set of the Dark Legion and a rulebook. But what have they done with the Bauhaus? They appear to come from a low budget movie. Kev White's amazing Battle suit has been transformed into a square sissy made ​​of cardboard  ???

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
In at the Razide level.  Also, someone should post the helmet concepts for Bauhaus that they just posted.  Some nice stuff in there (posting from my phone right, a bit of a hassle and I don't want to hotlink it and eat their bandwidth).  But if you are social-media inclined then get on in and vote for a helmet (I have a feeling 4 will be popular).

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
I think it's better not to post it here and just get people to head over and make their decision there! :)

But for completeness...  ::)

Offline Jase

« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »
I was one of the first 5 people to back as soon as the KS launched... in at the Necromutant level..already getting eye rolls and head shakes from the wife..she is SO tired of kickstarter LMAO

Guess you'll be looking at getting a Brotherhood starter set then, Melanie?  :)
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
I was one of the first 5 people to back as soon as the KS launched... in at the Necromutant level..already getting eye rolls and head shakes from the wife..she is SO tired of kickstarter LMAO

duh! lol i am trying to con her...make that sweet talk her into letting me pledge more..but of course I am getting the Bro-hams.

Alos, I wish it was Dom in the starter..I'd rather have Laura, or even Nik.

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »

duh! lol i am trying to con her...make that sweet talk her into letting me pledge more..but of course I am getting the Bro-hams.

Alos, I wish it was Dom in the starter..I'd rather have Laura, or even Nik.

Heh, yeah, I managed to sell my wife on the fact that it didn't end until April.  Bauhaus and Cyber will be mine!

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »
I am sure Laura and Nik will come later. :)

It's just to get started, all the starter boxes are the same points value and absoloutely balanced, but still varied in their own ways. :)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
"my blood is boiling and heart is broken .... and who said how Cybertronic should looks like ? Paul Bonner - drawing guy?? or Mr. Fredrik Malmberg, creator of Mutant Chronicles, who approves all our concepts and so far he loves them!" - Jarek Ever

Just saw this over on the Resurrection page at Facebook in the thread about the Everassur. He goes on to make a valid  point that there must be content and fluff introduced to make this version different but it reads like a half explanation and half sneer at what we have done.

....please bear in mind, Warzone died, 3 times... and we won't follow previous license owners paths! There must be content of new stuff abd a small bit of fluff. After all we are making Horror- Sci-Fi game not D class Sci-Fi - Comedy - Jarek Ever

Not sure how I feel about all this and rather than start a war on their page I am hoping some of the more level headed people here who have kept me from blowing a fuse in the past will help me work past what I feel is a swift kick to the nads.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890