Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 339029 times)

Offline Warlord

• THE WAY IS FORWARD!
    • 28mm World War II Wargaming at its finest...
Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
Well I am excited about seeing them bring it back also but I sure hope they don’t turn it into something else with pretty much just the name being the only thing that tells us it is Warzone. Please keep it true and a real feel to the setting we all know and love. I agree that I like they are going more with the original concepts (the Mechinators) but the big hulking thing with all the bolts on it and such just does not have the Cybertronic feel to me - IMHO.

This game is by far the most loved and played game by me and my sons and I believe there are some loyal but skeptical fans out there, but if they keep it true the fans will be a huge marketing tool, I myself will push this game every where I play. This if done right can and will rival GWs Sci-Fi game! - keeping fingers crossed!

We will all just have to wait and see
www.precisionmodeldesigns.com
www.Battlemart.com

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
(...) but the big hulking thing with all the bolts on it and such just does not have the Cybertronic feel to me - IMHO.

Agreed. But much of the rest looks much like the original. Keeping my fingers crossed – and I could live with the Cybertronic guy if there´s not too many like him in the game. I care more for the background, which was becoming rather flattened as editions progressed.

2nd edition Warzone and 2nd edition MC took the beloved Bauhaus, which originally was a rich conglomerate of Czarist Russia, October revolution, Soviet Gulags, Italy, Mafia and ´Ndrangheta, Frederick-the-Great and WW1 Prussia, France, Foreign Legion, Switzerland, the Balkans, k.u.k. Austria-Hungary and Poland, with a smattering of Teutonic Knighthood orders and the like, and they turned it much into a single Monocled Prussian cliché.

Same with Mishima, which took a step back from its roots in Hindu-Buddhist India, Meiji Restauration and feudal Japan, complete with the schism between adherents of Buddhism and Shintô and the converted Christians, modern-age corporate Japan, Yakuza romance, the Chinese Opium War, Tongs and Triads, with Fukido hinting at Hongkong as well, and which was reduced to an all-Japanese generic-samurai-age stereotype.

(Repeat with any of the megacorps).

In the old background, from a role-player´s perspective, the concept of multiple clichés intermixed was a terrific boon: The availability of stereotypes enabled players to get into motivations and backgrounds quickly, with a minimum of description. The multiplicity of stereotypes provided depth, avoided for one cliché to become prevalent (with the accompanying vaguely ridiculous feel), and allowed for a multitude of campaign styles.

Examples in point:
Capitolian characters could be tough gunslingers or railroad prospectors in the ghost towns of Southern Mars. They could be hard-bitten private eyes (or needle-striped, fedora´ed mobsters staking a claim) in the grey-shaded underworld of San Dorado. They could be a high-finance family clan defending their business empire against dastardly corporate and familiar intrigue. They could be gung-ho veterans fighting for a numbered hill against Mishiman partisans in the Graveton jungle, or CBI agents investigating Heretical ritual murders on the backwater bayous of Venus. They could be rivalling fighter-jock aces at Capitol´s Top Gun academy. They could expose a plot to assassinate the Chairman, moving through a maze of conflicting Bureau interests. All this and more could be facets of the jewel that is Capitol. Same for each of the megacorps.

Of course, I see the obvious necessity for the background to be a bit condensed to fit a tabletop game, which was the probable reasoning behind the changes. A wargamer might not wish to have to delve through a plethora of sourcebooks to get "his" fraction´s character and history right. But I love the original background and would love to see it conserved.

"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline semai99

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »
I'm just looking forward to seeing something new for the Warzone background that I can use (unlike the collectible ones that were released), even if not all the figures fit they might be good to add as unit leaders to my forces that already own I'm personally hoping for some of the Dark Eden Tribes figures that were not released.  They could also focus on the cartel as it was never really fully fleshed out in the last version.

Here's just hoping to be playing more Warzone again.

Now where did I put that charger.....
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »
I think all the preview pics they have posted look quite nice. I see nothing wrong with modernizing the look of some units. We as long time fans have to realise that all the minis we love are quite old and some have not aged that well.

I think the muscular cyber dudes they have posted pics of look great. Obviosly they are different from the chasseurs or people's volunteers we know but that is a good thing since the PV minis are really old.

If their minis translate as nicely from render into physical minis as for example Wyrd has done with their Malifaux plastics this will look really good.

Offline Warlord

• THE WAY IS FORWARD!
    • 28mm World War II Wargaming at its finest...
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
I can respect that; however I would prefer to see it stick with the genre and then expand on it or it be cleaned up but moving to far of the mark to me it becomes something else. The hulking Cybertronic guy has nubs and bolts on his armor and for me and others that goes against the sleekness/sophistication of the Cybertronic look (its not Cybertronic). If you are going to change them to the point of not being recognized then why license out an existing creation – rather just make your own? So for me I am hoping they keep all the factions what they were meant to be.  

I also believe it will be a TOUGH sell, I have noticed that many of us fans like our Bauhaus to be Bauhaus and so on and so forth. What you or I say is not going to have any real impact to make a difference but as I said before it is going to be either a Hit or a miss – M.C. Warzone fans are true blue and a tough audience  ;D and we LOVE the fluff of the Warzone world!

But I am very happy to see someone attempt to give it a whirl and the skeak peaks so far look pretty good – again – just taking a wait and see position for the moment.

Warzone won't die - it will just multiply  ;)
www.precisionmodeldesigns.com
www.Battlemart.com

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »
Actually, the first thing I though when I saw the new Cybertronic stuff was that they were going with a lot of the B&W artwork from the RPG as a basis.  That stuff is a lot chunkier, more angular and a lot grittier (with a higher proportion of gubbins, head tubes and other bits).  Definitely not the sleek, chromed exteriors of most of Bonner's work (hell a lot of 'em look tarnished to me).  I actually kind of like that look so I am enjoying the grittier look Cybertronic is getting this go around.  They are one of the factions that has had the least solid base for visual style.  Coloured art had everything sleek and shiny (until 2nd Edition when it was all dark and industrial) and interior B&W art in the RPG was grim, gritty and dirty.

Out of all the factions Cybertronic was in need of some kind of standardization/facelift (along with the DL, really).  I'm glad the first bits have focused on them because it is hard to screw up more timeless designs like the Imperials and Bauhaus, but Cyber and the DL are two that could cause some troubles.  I know I'll certainly be grabbing some of the new cyber stuff, myself.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
Hi guys.  It's good to see you.  It's been too long.  Are we ready to do this again?

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem præparet bellum

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
Welcome back Joe
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline nicklas_danielsson

• Journeyman
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
(...) but the big hulking thing with all the bolts on it and such just does not have the Cybertronic feel to me - IMHO.

Agreed. But much of the rest looks much like the original. Keeping my fingers crossed – and I could live with the Cybertronic guy if there´s not too many like him in the game. I care more for the background, which was becoming rather flattened as editions progressed.

2nd edition Warzone and 2nd edition MC took the beloved Bauhaus, which originally was a rich conglomerate of Czarist Russia, October revolution, Soviet Gulags, Italy, Mafia and ´Ndrangheta, Frederick-the-Great and WW1 Prussia, France, Foreign Legion, Switzerland, the Balkans, k.u.k. Austria-Hungary and Poland, with a smattering of Teutonic Knighthood orders and the like, and they turned it much into a single Monocled Prussian cliché.

Same with Mishima, which took a step back from its roots in Hindu-Buddhist India, Meiji Restauration and feudal Japan, complete with the schism between adherents of Buddhism and Shintô and the converted Christians, modern-age corporate Japan, Yakuza romance, the Chinese Opium War, Tongs and Triads, with Fukido hinting at Hongkong as well, and which was reduced to an all-Japanese generic-samurai-age stereotype.

(Repeat with any of the megacorps).

In the old background, from a role-player´s perspective, the concept of multiple clichés intermixed was a terrific boon: The availability of stereotypes enabled players to get into motivations and backgrounds quickly, with a minimum of description. The multiplicity of stereotypes provided depth, avoided for one cliché to become prevalent (with the accompanying vaguely ridiculous feel), and allowed for a multitude of campaign styles.

Examples in point:
Capitolian characters could be tough gunslingers or railroad prospectors in the ghost towns of Southern Mars. They could be hard-bitten private eyes (or needle-striped, fedora´ed mobsters staking a claim) in the grey-shaded underworld of San Dorado. They could be a high-finance family clan defending their business empire against dastardly corporate and familiar intrigue. They could be gung-ho veterans fighting for a numbered hill against Mishiman partisans in the Graveton jungle, or CBI agents investigating Heretical ritual murders on the backwater bayous of Venus. They could be rivalling fighter-jock aces at Capitol´s Top Gun academy. They could expose a plot to assassinate the Chairman, moving through a maze of conflicting Bureau interests. All this and more could be facets of the jewel that is Capitol. Same for each of the megacorps.

Of course, I see the obvious necessity for the background to be a bit condensed to fit a tabletop game, which was the probable reasoning behind the changes. A wargamer might not wish to have to delve through a plethora of sourcebooks to get "his" fraction´s character and history right. But I love the original background and would love to see it conserved.

Offline nicklas_danielsson

• Journeyman
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
I can respect that; however I would prefer to see it stick with the genre and then expand on it or it be cleaned up but moving to far of the mark to me it becomes something else. The hulking Cybertronic guy has nubs and bolts on his armor and for me and others that goes against the sleekness/sophistication of the Cybertronic look (its not Cybertronic). If you are going to change them to the point of not being recognized then why license out an existing creation – rather just make your own? So for me I am hoping they keep all the factions what they were meant to be.  

I also believe it will be a TOUGH sell, I have noticed that many of us fans like our Bauhaus to be Bauhaus and so on and so forth. What you or I say is not going to have any real impact to make a difference but as I said before it is going to be either a Hit or a miss – M.C. Warzone fans are true blue and a tough audience  ;D and we LOVE the fluff of the Warzone world!

But I am very happy to see someone attempt to give it a whirl and the skeak peaks so far look pretty good – again – just taking a wait and see position for the moment.

Warzone won't die - it will just multiply  ;)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »
At this point, I think we will need to wait and see what develops. 

I liked their page on facebook and left a post on some info I thought might be useful to them.

In the end, we are going to get new figures, and I'll probably be dissapointed in some, but man...getting a whole new wave of players into a great system would be great.

...and I hope the new team reaches out to Thom and Lance.   Talk about a huge trove of information and dedication. 

Overall, I will keep a positive outlook on the project.   At worst, we'll find that the IP was bought by GW, and I will be forced to jump off a cliff! 

...or not.   :)
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline micmellon

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 12:17:41 AM »
The bulky guy could be a Chasseur maybe even enhanced or the MK II or Shock Troops.
That stuff on the back looks a little bit like jet engines.

It looks more like steam punk then the old Cybertronic stuff but in general steam punk was always part of the MC Universe.
Cybertronic was the exception. That is maybe because they are the only company with access to the real technology.

To push Cybertronic into a steam punk style fits for me. Maybe a mixture would be nice.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Jase

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »
Question is: how many will back their Kickstarter if it occurs? Also, what happens with the current miniatures from Prince August? Will they end up getting a cease and desist?

I'm interested to see how this develops. I hope it succeeds, because I firmly believe Paradox will pull the liscence if things start to sour. They've done it before.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »
Hi guys,

First off, thanks for letting me join the forum. I understand there have been a lot of issues with spam in the past.  :) Prodos Games have been desperately trying to register so that we can actually talk with you guys!

Secondly, thanks to everyone that has liked the facebook group so far, the more support Prodos Games get, the better they will be able to present Warzone Resurrection.

Thirdly, I am friends with the guys that own Prodos, I am the messenger. Check elsewhere and you'll see.

Anywho!

This is what I posted elsewhere:

Q. Are the old miniatures making a comeback?
A. No, these are completely new miniatures, with a great effort to bring them in line with modern designs, whilst still keeping in tune with the original artwork which WILL be used again as it hasn't aged like the miniatures.

Q. Who is behind Prodos Games?
A. Some folks from the UK who were big fans of the original game that felt disappointed when the game died. We've worked really hard to get this liscense and it's important we do it justice. We also understand the disappointment that failure could bring customers and every effort is being made to ensure the success of this project, with a modern market being kept in mind at all times.
Jarek Ever and Mark Rapson are the driving force, with a supporting base of friends, including professional Miniature Designers, Rules developers, Graphic Designers and writers. We're a creative group of mates!

Q. What scale will the miniatures be?
A. Heroic 28mm. Modern standard (i.e. GW, Warmachine, Malifaux, Dark Age, Etc)

Q. Can I still use my old miniatures in the new game?
A. Yes indeed, but given the new designs, you won't want to!

Q. What material are the models made of?
A. High Quality Plastic and eventually Resin too, but they are going to be priced accordingly. This is going to make the game very accessible, but still have a 'hobby' aspect rather than pre-painted, collectable (as has recently been attempted with the Mutant Chronicles Liscense).

Q. How will the miniatures be produced?
A. An odd one, but important. These are 3D printed... I know, I know, WHAAAAAT?! But 3D printing looks F*** ugly and the texture is horrible! Well, last year a new printer was developed that creates beatiful, smooth textures in high quality plastic, replicating the 3D sculpt perfectly. Not only are they incredibly cost effective, but the material is still high quality, check out the pictures on the facebook page (you don't have to be a member to view AFAIK).

Q. Is Prodos Games affiliated with FFG or Prince August?
A. No, not at all. Prodos Games, as fans of Warzone 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition felt diappointed by the FFG offering and also feel that to make Warzone thrive again, they must make up to date sculpts that are still true to the artwork and storyline.

Q. What are the rules like?
A. Still in last stages of Development. All I can say is they are D20 driven.

I hope that helps you out, please keep asking questions and those of you that do have Facebook, please follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/WarzoneResurrection#!/WarzoneResurrection?fref=ts

A website is in production, but there's nothing there at the moment. Keep an eye out, but I will make sure to keep you updated.
http://warzonegame.com/warzone-resurrection/

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »
As for what will happen to Prince August, I couldn't say as I do not know!