Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 339147 times)

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #780 on: April 09, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
haha awesome. :)

Totally agree with your points there.  :)

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #781 on: April 09, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
Been a while since I updated, so...

Brotherhood Icarus Jetfighter

Capitol Sgt. Big Bob Watts

Warzone Resurrection Templates (Lasercut, clear acrylic)

Bauhaus Etoiles Mortant

Dark Legion Pretorian Stalkers (Some correction on the Ammunition Clip will be occuring before these are printed)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #782 on: April 09, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »
Max is perfect, completely and utterly perfect.  You may have just produced my favourite mini ever (and not even just for Warzone).  It oozes character, it oozes style, it is perfect.

They should have sent a poet!

I concur
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #783 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »
Damn, every time I look at those Etoiles I like 'em more and more.  It is amazing that Prodos managed to take a unit I barely even rated due to my dislike of their aesthetics to something that actively rivals V-Rangers.  It helps that this means Bauhaus now has a great unit to mine for awesome head swaps for our V-Rangers and Hussars.  Co-ed units hear I come!

And the smooth V-Ranger helms make perfect generic special forces helmets as well (the skull design being the default for most of our special forces according to the RPG sourcebook).

I think I'll swap one head out to make a V-Ranger squad leader and use my masked Angelika head to make one of my Etoiles a Templar (Order of the Flaming Sword would fit here).

So many great bits!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:23:48 AM by Durandal »

Offline Prodos

« Reply #784 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Rob,

My opinion:  Focus on the basic and "existing" troop types, first.   I think the guys will sell lot of new style Kadavers, Screaming Legionaires, Ducal Militia, Trenchers, Regulars...and so on.  

On the new figure concepts.   I like the Mirromen concept art.   Pretty much dead on!   Valkyries and Sea Lions - Especially due to having the named hero for both these units...these are good ideas.   The Necrotech Beastrider looks good, but I think adding a bunch of new troop types might be pre-mature.   The Armored Hussars...are those the replacement for the Vulkans?   If not, you have two troop types that are pretty much the same.   It would make more sense to release a new "basic" troop type, than to release another Bauhaus walker.  

Offered in the spirit of constructive criticism...

Oh, and Max looks pretty good.  

Hi Madbrad. :)
I can completely understand where you are coming from. However, it is really important to remember this is a license and as such, Prodos Games wants to add things to the license to prove how much they will use it. License-holders are normally keen to see their property being developed, but with complete control of how that happens. So far, it would seem, Paradox Entertainment are very happy with how things are going.

Nothing will be left out, nothing whatsoever. However, it is really important for Prodos to continue creating new ideas and concepts, but ensuring each one has the feel of Mutant Chronicles.

The Juggernaughts are not replacements for the Vulkan Walker. The Vulkan Battlesuit is already a strong part of the MC background and there is a model that had some serious design work put into it. The Juggernaughts are an example of Prodos Games using their concept art, as it was still good to use, but with a slightly different purpose in mind. These will be armoured Hussars, purpose built for particular battlefields.

The Mirrormen art is actually old! There is a chance they will see some updating to bring them in line with the modern range of Cybertronic units.

As for the Necrobeast, I really like the idea of the stalking, predatory landshark... Can't wait to paint some!!!!

The Prodos guys have a plan, and I certainly hope it is successful.    

My outlook is based on the belief that people want to build armies that they see as having a solid base of good looking basic troopers, and then adding heroes, support and specialty troops after they get the core of their army built.  

Of course, they may be under pressure from Paradox to expand the line with new troop types.  And, there may also be pressure to develop as much "new" stuff as possible to try and put distance between the WZ game and the hobby sotre owners who felt they were burned by Target's demise, and then burned again when Excelsior was blind-sided with the license being yanked.  

Durandel also makes the point that he is representative of a group of people who like the new stuff, and want to see even more.   His comment at WZ is a game, and not a museum piece is dead on.   My opinion is that you need to start out with the basics, first.

As for the future, I do want to see some new unit types, and I am mostly thrilled with the current re-vamp of the current troop types, and think there will be some new types that will appeal to me as well.  

Anyway, enough of my rambling.   I have stated my opinion, and either Prodos will follow my omniscent and perfect ability to see the future....oh, wait...that's not actually true. :D   But, it did sound impressive!    ...or they will go in their own direction.   Either way, I do hope for their success.  

Cheers!

Brad a bit of both, best way to describe the 5 year plan: all that has gone before and what is yet to come! As such, both will come throughout the time!

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #785 on: April 10, 2013, 12:21:48 AM »
And the smoot V-Ranger helms make perfect generic special forces helmets as well (the skull design being the default for most of our special forces according to the RPG sourcebook).

I think I'll swap one head out to make a V-Ranger squad leader and use my masked Angelika head to make one of my Etoiles a Templar (Order of the Flaming Sword would fit here).

So many great bits!

You are a gorram genius, consider it stolen!!! :)

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #786 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:01 AM »
Through the ever changing mists of dark symettry, the shaky visage of a creature, greater in stature than any man Bob Watt's had seen before began to work its way into a terrifying visual reality...

Updates a bit later on for this one!  :D

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
« Reply #787 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:11 AM »
I have been really happy with most of the stuff we've seen recently, but these Praetorian Stalkers make my heart ache. I do like that you kept the design largely the same, but it's implemented really, really badly. They have these really ugly clowns lips, but the worst part is their figure: they are WAY too bulky and clumsy, I'm not sure how they're supposed to stalk anywhere. Especially the legs need to be a lot thinner (and stalkier). In my opinion, the Stalkers should almost be gracile, in an evil, dark legionish kind of way.

Also their guns. The guns are seriously that bad, you might as well redo them entirely. They're horribly disproportionate, really fat and unhandy, and just look kind of ridiculous. I mean, how many bullets of that caliber would fit into the mag? probably not even one, since the magazine is really slimmer than the muzzle.

I'm sorry if I come across a bit mad, but the Praetorian Stalkers are one of my all-time favourite units and amongst the best miniatures ever in my opinion, and these just don't live up to anywhere near the old models.

Edit: Big Bob Watts is looking pretty good so far, but i would like some handling mechanism like the smartgun from aliens has, maybe connecting the miniguns to his ammo backpack. As it is, they're kind of floating in the air, and man they must be heavy on the long run.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:03:21 AM by Niart Gunn »

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #788 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:43 AM »
Praetorian stalkers (and many dark legion models) don't have lips, actually.They should look like the lips have been torn off, giving a really mean and scary sneer. Imho that is the key to make those models really complete and it's quite simple. It's one of the dark legion's horde traits (legionnaires, necromutants, some nepharites)

As a side note, the praetorian stalkers were always bulky, they are not infiltrators like a callistonian intruder would be. I don't know what the above poster is talking about, but the Scythe of semai is a large weapon, combining Lmg, flamer and grenade launcher as well as a vicious close combat attachment, and humans would be hard-pressed to actually lift the thing. He is right about the magazine size, though...the stalkers would have a hard time firing for more than a few bursts.

I don't see them as actually sneaking...but rather just completely outsmart the opponent and go through ways that they can't think of. Their most powerful weapon is actually the link they share through each other (they are always paired...not sure why Prodos goes for 3).

That would be easy to fix.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:04:09 AM by Oakwolf »

Offline Raga

« Reply #789 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »
Their bulkiness is okay.
- the magaizne needs to be resized - I totally agree
- do something with their feet armor - I have the feeling that they have metal stirrups (the loops used for horseriding) and they will slip and fall on the ground - please cut the greaves and end them near the ankle)
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
« Reply #790 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
You're not quite getting me there, I guess that wasn't the most fortunate choice of words. I do not mean that they shouldn't be huge, but as you said, outsmarting and outmaneuvering their prey, and look like they can do that. My main problem with the render as it is stems from the legs, which just look too fat for me. They look like they're mindlessly stomping across the field. If you compare them to the old model, which was bulky too, the old one just had much more human proportions (which is what they used to be, afterall). I think they just don't fit with the upper body together very well. Torso and arms look really good on the other hand, and the head's cool too as soon as the lips are gone.

I also don't disagree that their gun should be huge, it always was, but it should be proportionate. Not even necessarily to the model, but just in and of itself. Most of the weapon designs we've seen from Prodos look a bit too thick for me, but these just look kind of weird and toylike. A (much) larger magazine would probably already go a long way in fixing that.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #791 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
The face has something of a Clown. Clowns are scary but it doesn't fit to the Stalker.
The magazine is tiny in compare of the weapon and looks lost.

Please change these details.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #792 on: April 11, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »
Praetorian Behemoth...

Sneak peek at the stats...

Necromutants (Squad) - These are slightly different from the Necromutant 'heroes'/sqaud leaders.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #793 on: April 11, 2013, 02:31:17 AM »
These are nicely done!

Is it offending to call a Dark Legion unit nice? But horrible could be confusing...

Let's say they are nicely horrible!  ::)
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline rob_alderman

• PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #794 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »
Hiya mate, glad you like them too. :)

The behemoth is just one of those models that I lok at and IMAGINE painting. I am more of a painter than a gamer and this one totally does it for me. I seriously think this game is going to have some of the nicest miniatures available on the market.