Author Topic: A few unrelated questions  (Read 14218 times)

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
A few unrelated questions
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:25 AM »
Hello everybody
Our little Swiss Warzone group finally found time for a game again, and as usual, a few questions came up which I'd like to have cleared up.

1. Do Smoke Grenades deviate or deteriorate in level of Smoke if you miss? I believe to remember having read both versions, though the second one seems kind of unreasonable, since smoke grenades for example would have very little chance of effect usually.

2. Praetorian Stalkers have both the Special Abilities Paradeploy and Symbiotic Link. These Abilities both augment the command distance of the squad, Paradeploy adds two inches, while Symbiotic Link sets it to a specific level (12 inches). Is this effect cumulative? As in: Do the Stalkers actually have 14 inches of command radius?
EDIT: Actually, after rereading Paradeploy, it sets Command Radius to a specific level too, so I guess it's not, but I'd still like to have this cleared up.

3. The Cybertronic Operations Overseer seems to have very weird CC/RC stats to me. As a model with absolutely no weapon usable in close combat, why would the Overseer have one point more CC than RC? Please tell me this is a typo.

Kind regards, Niart

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: A few unrelated questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Hello everybody
Our little Swiss Warzone group finally found time for a game again, and as usual, a few questions came up which I'd like to have cleared up.

1. Do Smoke Grenades deviate or deteriorate in level of Smoke if you miss? I believe to remember having read both versions, though the second one seems kind of unreasonable, since smoke grenades for example would have very little chance of effect usually.

Yes, they do, indeed, deviate; however, they only deviate by up to three inches.

Example 1:  A Ducal Militia Sergeant fires a smoke grenade from is UBGL.  The roll is a success, and the smoke lands exactly where it was intended.
Example 2:  The Ducal Militia Sergeant fires smoke, but misses the roll by two.  The smoke template deviates two inches in the direction indicated by the rolled die.
Example 3:  The Sergeant fires, but misses the roll by 4.  The shot misses, and the Action is spent.  It is considered a dud and/or ineffective round.

2. Praetorian Stalkers have both the Special Abilities Paradeploy and Symbiotic Link. These Abilities both augment the command distance of the squad, Paradeploy adds two inches, while Symbiotic Link sets it to a specific level (12 inches). Is this effect cumulative? As in: Do the Stalkers actually have 14 inches of command radius?
EDIT: Actually, after rereading Paradeploy, it sets Command Radius to a specific level too, so I guess it's not, but I'd still like to have this cleared up.

It does stack, but only for the specified round(s) in which Command Distance is increased.

3. The Cybertronic Operations Overseer seems to have very weird CC/RC stats to me. As a model with absolutely no weapon usable in close combat, why would the Overseer have one point more CC than RC? Please tell me this is a typo.

It is not a typo.  The OpOver is not meant to be a CC troop, yet the CC stat is correct; it represents that the model at least has a fighting chance to defend itself should it find itself in the dire situation of being overrun by the enemy.

Kind regards, Niart
[/quote]
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:38:55 AM »
So the Stalkers have 14 inches command radius after the first round, pretty ace.

Thanks a lot for the quick answers, however the Stats of the Operations Overseer are still puzzling me. You're saying it represents a fighting chance in CC, this would require some kind of rule similar to the "use weapon as a club" which spawned a huge discussion on it's own in this thread. According to the rules in the UWZ book as well as the FAQ however, the Auto-Mortar is a weapon that's not usable in close combat at all (nor point blank or short range), nor does the Operations Overseer have any other weapon. So his CC stat is useful for one thing only, breaking away, and might as well not even be there because, let's face it, once he's in close combat with anything, he's f'd.
This just seems wrong to me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:28:34 AM by Niart Gunn »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
The OpOver is NOT meant to get into CC; it is meant as a strategic rear unit.

I highly recommend keeping it from CC at all costs.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
Is it possible that the Operation Overseer's high CC stat is a hold over from 1st ed where it was possible to give models additional weapons (like pistols and swords) ??
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:04:09 AM »
The OpOver is NOT meant to get into CC; it is meant as a strategic rear unit.

I highly recommend keeping it from CC at all costs.

No **** sherlock! My point is that you're justifying the high CC stat with a "fighting chance to defend itself". However, what fighting chance is there when he doesn't even have a weapon he can use?
He's not even allowed to fight in close combat, so there cannot be any fighting chance. Why would he still have more CC than RC?

Also, please don't give me advices in a snotty manner like this. I'm not an idiot man.

Is it possible that the Operation Overseer's high CC stat is a hold over from 1st ed where it was possible to give models additional weapons (like pistols and swords) ??

I could actually see something like that, although i'd still classify it as a typo. Not too sure if the Operations Overseer even existed in 1st ed though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:33:41 AM by Niart Gunn »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
It was not meant in a snotty matter.  "NOT" was emphasized more for it obviousness than for driving the point home.  I apologize if it read differently.  Please, may I suggest that, in the future, if I type something that seems less than appropriate, would you be kind enough to ask me to clarify my response rather than resort to simply accusing me of bing snotty?

As Brother Jim stated, it could be a holdover, or it could simply be a means of keeping the OpOver's PC at a balanced level without having to increase another skill which may see more use.

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »
I just dug out my books.

I was wrong. I confused the Surveiller (which was in 1st) with the Operations Overseer (which is new to 3rd).
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32