Author Topic: Imperial Chieftain Dungal  (Read 6646 times)

Offline micmellon

Imperial Chieftain Dungal
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:26 PM »
Does anybody know Chieftain Dungal?

There was a picture in the Imperial Hall of Fame of the Warzone 1st Edition rulebook and it is mentioned that he led sixty Wolfbanes to victory against eighteen Kohorts of Screaming Legionnaires.

I imagine him as a Berserker but I have no idear if he is part in some novel or of the RPG.

Other names mentioned in the same book are

- Field Mashal Sir Sebastian Johnstone - chief of combined IAF
- Sergeant Mike Morgan - first from his clan to be knighted twice.
- Sean Gallagher (I think I know enough about him ;-) )
- Privat Jones of 32nd Trench Battn.
- Sergeant Michael Mc Bride of Imperial Blood Berets

How is it with these guys? Are they part of some novels or RPG book?
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Oakwolf

Re: Imperial Chieftain Dungal
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
It could be part of the novels or the rpg, or even one of the pre-warzone board games. Sometimes designers are not above plugging their own rpg characters into the mix ;)

The novels were initially published in 3 pocket books with no illustrations, so they are the most well known versions today, but the italians surpassed that.

i suppose i could take a look in the translated italian novels when i get the time, because almost all the color art found in the 1st ed. warzone book is from the italian fascicoli (spelling) novel series. Only the late illustrations and black and white sketches aren't depicted in there (every 2nd page is a full color illustration). These novels are from 1993-1995, which is the same time the rpg came out.

If you ever wondered why the images in the warzone books looked like an ongoing story with unknown characters, now you know; it's the story of the novels! Since the authors also wanted to plug alot of details about the world, they even included the images of the weapons and interesting facts from the setting. Those characters may be from one of those isolated closed captions, but i can't translate italian very well...so only someone with the english version could attest that they are not secondary characters in the novels.

Fun fact: There was 2 italian versions of the novels; a series of +-22 magazines and 3 hardback volumes (seriously awesome stuff). The inner pages are the same, but the magazines also included the italian version of Blood Berets as a "collect and build yourself" kind of deal, if you dared cut the very large covers (which also depict art).

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:55:00 PM by Oakwolf »

Offline micmellon

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »
WOW! I 'm not sure if there was a German version of the novels at all and in Italy you had even different versions?  :o

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »
Absolutely...i don't know why they got such an awesome treatment in italy, and it confirms that the reception of the mutant chronicles was much better outside the english-speaking countries. I'll try to take a look tonight for the special characters you mentionned.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:15:24 AM by Oakwolf »

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »
I wasn't able to spot all those characters in the novels, yet. As i said it's full color with art every 2 pages...6x10 (the books are in 10x12 format) so i have alot to check. There are even small illustrations in the sidelines of the text page (often a caption about a weapon that is being used in the novel...likely the very same text we later found in the rulebook, they just had to stick those small captions together for an armory for example  :D). Those italian novels were the very reason the book from WZ 1 was so spectacular...and why the later books included less refined black and white sketches.

But i did find this so far:

I could see Sean Gallagher's art in there, and there is a small description of wolfbanes in general. Then it mentions that the illustration shows commander Sean Gallagher in all his splendor, as well as some piece of gear that is supposedly noticeable on it.

Private Jones's art can be seen in the novels, but does not mention him by name, describing generic info on the 32nd trench battalion. Private Jones is mentionned in a fluff text in the warzone chronicles (#6 1997) containing rules for the trenchers, i didn't have a chance to check if the same fluff text can be found in the warzone expansion (Casualties of war), but odds are good.

I could find a doomtrooper card refering to a Sgt. McBride ( giving bonuses to blood berrets), so we know he's one of those cross-game characters, possibly hinting that he was in the rpg or the pre-warzone board game Blood Berrets.

I didn't find references to other ones yet, but it does tend to show that they were probably not created randomly.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:13:28 PM by Oakwolf »

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:49:48 PM »
I found that Sergeant Mc Bride features in the italian Blood Berrets version that accompanied the magazine novels. He is one of the more powerful imperial character, and the traditional blood berret art appears in the novel as well, as a caption depicting Sgt. Mc Bride and featuring an interview with him.

He apparently served in ISC in his past...

Since he was in the italian illustrated novels, the card game, the wz 1 book and the Blood Berrets game, I wouldn't be surprised if he originally appeared in the RPG.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:34:16 PM by Oakwolf »

Offline micmellon

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:26:15 AM »
Thank you for the information. This brings some light into the Warzone/Mutant Chronicles Story... :)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
Should we start with Michael McBride? He featured rather heavily in the Mutant Chronicles RPG (representing the "average guy" of Freelancers in the RPG rules, narrating the how-to in the Freelancer´s Handbook, fighting alongside the player characters in the Mishima sourcebook adventure, and also appearing in the sidebar fluff of the Algeroth sourcebook). He appeared in the DoomTrooper card game, but never made the jump to WarZone.

McBride is a former staff sergeant in the Blood Berets, having fought in the New Bocca campaigns on Venus and taken part in the storming of Alakhai´s Citadel. He had more than his share of action, since a personal enemy, Brigadier James Arthur Carrington, saw to it that he got assigned the most dangerous missions. (Carrington was later revealed by Major Strasser to be a Heretic.) Finally, McBride was dishonourably discharged, left the Imperial fold and started working as a Freelancer.

During his career, he has been known to work for Major Strasser of Bauhaus Security, Inquisitor Kane of the Brotherhood, gang barons like Fat Freddie, and an assortment of other clients, acting as hired muscle or private eye. McBride is the typical "knight in tarnished armour" of the film noir: a moral person in an amoral world, preserving his own code of decent behaviour, but hiding it under a thick veneer of cynicism and gruff demeanor.

The Mishima sourcebook actually has RPG stats for him. McBride could be either represented during his stint in the Blood Berets, where he would be an Imperial individual model, wearing heavy composite armour and being armed with an Invader assault rifle or Intruder SMG, possibly with the usual Blood Beret sidearm. Or he could be represented as a Freelancer – the picture by Paul Bonner shows him wearing combat fatigues with Capitol light body armour (similar to the Free Marines´ armour), with Bauhauser shoulder pads, toting two Bolter sidearms. As a Freelancer, he would not be attached to any Megacorporation, but could be picked by any force except the Dark Legion.

Either way, McBride has proven to be resourceful and strong-willed, being able to resist the Dark Symmetry on sheer willpower in several cases. He is very good with firearms, less so in close combat; his exceptional agility makes him very quick and dangerous (he has 5 actions per round in the RPG, which is a more than excellent stat!). In the interview with Major Strasser in the Bauhaus sourcebook, he is likened to a Venusian devilcat: being able to explode from repose into violence in a split-second.

As a (former) Blood Beret, he should have jungle training and other Blood Beret special abilities.

There is, by the way, a McBride miniature (from the old Mutant Chronicles series, long since discontinued), showing him kitted out in the latter version. Maybe the Warzone guys over here could come up with stats for him.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:10:34 PM by Horned Owl »
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline micmellon

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
Thanks! That's a large story (and you only made a short summary ;)  ).

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »
The others are each only mentioned once in the whole canon of publications: Dungal, Johnstone and Morgan had only a small picture each in the Warzone 1st edition rulebook. They were included just for fluff. Private Jones is the name the design team gave Paul Bonner´s representation of an Imperial trenchman, which appeared first on the back of the RPG´s Imperial sourcebook. He is never mentioned anywhere else and has no storyline of his own, but his picture of course appears in later Warzone publications, and on a DoomTrooper card.

Major characters from the novels include:

Cybertronic agents Cyril Dent (Dementia) and Coral Beach (Frenzy and Dementia),
Bauhaus pilot [in the novel not a V-Ranger] Capitaine Maximilian Steiner (Frenzy)
Cybertronic freelancer Fay Fan (In Lunacy and Dementia),
Bauhaus freelancer Klaus Dahlen (In Lunacy and Dementia),
Capitol freelancers Pam Afton and Lane Chung (In Lunacy and Dementia, mentioned in passing in Frenzy), Yojimbô [his assistant the Whiz Kid may or may not be intended to be Tatsu] (In Lunacy and Dementia),
Mitch Hunter and his entire squad (Frenzy and Dementia),
Big Bob Watts (Frenzy)
the Nepharite Ragathol (In Lunacy, Frenzy, Dementia)

There are several interesting supporting characters who did not appear anywhere else, e.g.:

Former Imperial Blood Beret Cameron Glen (In Lunacy)
Former DoomTroopers Vic Baer and Skippa (In Lunacy, mentioned in passing in Dementia)
Bauhaus pilot Anna Lindholm (Frenzy)
Mishima warhead operator Momoko Watanabe (Frenzy)
Cybertronic VAC secretary Ms Madeleine Wickersham (Dementia)
Cybertronic doctor Andrea Carter (Dementia)
Cybertronic official "Carl" (Dementia)
Attila-III cuirassier Ashurbanirpol ("Ash") (Dementia)
Capitol settler Lorraine Kovan / Cassandra Ellsworth Raleigh (In Lunacy, Frenzy, Dementia)
Capitolian information broker Timothy Small (Frenzy)
Capitolian Colonel Rebecca Vardon (Frenzy)
Capitolian stockholder Elijah Wood (Frenzy)
Capitolian head of internal security Nicholas Sebastian Kell (Dementia)
Capitolian corporate military advisors Lynn Sutter, Dirk Bamble and Calvin Hart (Frenzy)
Capitol General Vernon Powers  (Frenzy)
Brotherhood mortificator Scythia Scipio (Dementia)
Brotherhood Inquisitor Titus Gallicus (In Lunacy, Frenzy, Dementia)
Brotherhood Mystic Portius (Frenzy)
Necromutants Echmeriaz and Caliqabaal (Frenzy)

"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."