Author Topic: Wolf Totem Question  (Read 16829 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Wolf Totem Question
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
It's contradictory.  Any movement that brings you into CC with an enemy model is a charge.  By that, you would have to use Leap that way.

If you allow the Wolf Clan Totem and other Leaping models to do this, then you would have to open the game up and allow models with Sweep to do their thing too.  Or not.

We had a game where a Troll Deathseeker jumped off of some terrain into position where he was in contact with 3 Devout Forgotten, and killed them.  That made for an exciting game, so I can see trying the Leap with the Totem this way. 

If you play this rule, let me know how it goes.  I don't want to step on anyone's enjoyment of a game that's not in print, and any house rules are appreciated.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Raga

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 01:03:40 AM »
You may be right.
Leap does not override "by the shortest route" rule, only target priority.
But look at my diagram.

If model A chooses to charge model C using Leap (according to the rules, he can can ignore model B) and does it by the shortest route it ends up touching two models.

If the model A kills model C with its primary attack he should be able to direct the additional ones towards model B.
I am not sure if the charging bonuses are still applied.
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
Forgive me for chiming in where I have less than the requisite amount of expertise and/or knowledge of the game.

It is my opinion that you are reading, "by the shortest route," too literally.  If the model is allowed to ignore priority, then the shortest route to the targeted model is redifened so as to allow the leaping model to engage the target without being in base contact with both models.  Therefore, your diagram is not, technically, correct.  The shortest route to the target would avoid model "B" altogether, and the line should be redrawn so that "A" is only in contact with "C".

Does that clarify it?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Raga

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 02:31:30 AM »
Yes, it does.

It seems that Secondary Attack is fully efficient only for models such as Dwarven Keeper (goading spear) or Wailers (tail).

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:06:33 PM »
How so?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Raga

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
Models with secondary attack who kill with with their primary weapon do not fight efficiently.

Models such Keepers and Wailers who have "ranged melee weapon" (polearm or tail with 1 inch reach) can really kill 2 models in one action.
Their secondary attack is fully efficient.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 07:06:55 AM »
Secondary attack, like most Special Abilities, is situational.  If the situation does not present itself, then the ability cannot be used.  Efficiency, in my humble opinion, is less of a consideration compared to being able to tell a really cool story after the battle.  ;D

Offline Raga

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 04:18:23 AM »
Something like this:
"I remember that day when Keeper Drim Ovduum accompanied with Vuture Totem and survivors of 3rd Legion were surrounded near an desert oasis.
Stygian Axemen and Spearmen killed the Legion quickly so the Keeper and the Totem had no other option but charge the enemy.
Drim was able to dispatch a whole squad of Lizardmen while the Totem was still fighting three of them.
Keeper took a second breath and decided to assist the Beast."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
Something like this:
"I remember that day when Keeper Drim Ovduum accompanied with Vuture Totem and survivors of 3rd Legion were surrounded near an desert oasis.
Stygian Axemen and Spearmen killed the Legion quickly so the Keeper and the Totem had no other option but charge the enemy.
Drim was able to dispatch a whole squad of Lizardmen while the Totem was still fighting three of them.
Keeper took a second breath and decided to assist the Beast."

Exactly.