Author Topic: Blackblood Cyclops.  (Read 15115 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Blackblood Cyclops.
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/shop/images/large/monsters007.jpg

When not working in the quarries of the Empire,  the Cyclops are occasionally pressed into battle.  They are large, ferocious, and the least intelligent of all the races in the Empire.  The Goblins, with their usual cunning, have found them a useful addition to their forces.

CC: 12  RC: 8  PW: 0  LD: 8  AC: 2  WD: 4  ST: 8  MV: 3  AR: 18  Def: -1  Size: 3  Cost: 65

This model is fielded as a unit attachment to any NON MOUNTED Goblin unit.  

Special Abilities:
Steadfast
Cause Fear
Cyclops adds +2 to the Goblins LD score as long as it's alive and within command of his squad.
Ferocity
Any Ogre model within 8" of the Cyclops must pass an LD test, or it will attack the Cyclops with Hatred, +1..

The Cyclops is armed with either option:
Massive Flail   1" reach  DAM 16
Massive Axe  DAM 17

Classification:  Mortal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:41:44 PM by joshuaslater »
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
Re: Blackblood Cyclops.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
I like. Even if the Ogres do not like these guys...

4 Wounds is beastly. Its easy to visualise one of these guys walking around the battle field with a bunch of Goblins swarming around his feet.
People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:56:10 AM »
The playtesting was great with these guys.  I had an army with four troops of Goblins, each with a Cyclops.

You have to remember the higher LD of the troop in your wait tests, and panic tests, and it's hysterical when the troop fails a panic test, but the Cyclops is still standing there, not unlike a big dummy.

Four wounds ain't a dealbreaker, as believe me, with the 18 armor, and being so large over the Goblins (Eagle Eye), they add flavor, and on a good day, smash their opponents, but they don't just crush everyone like the latest army from some companies.   ;)

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Hmmm. I don't think I'll ever use it, but I like the idea.
The only thing I can't understand is the racism of the ogres.  :) Why? How can they survive in the empire with an ogre on the blood throne? Add some background. It' a question of "flavor"...  ;)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
Flavor can be spiced later.   Feel free to write something down and post it here.   Now go test'em out!!  

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
Make the Cyclops a genetic mutation of the Ogres who are abandoned at birth. Some of these abominations  have been found by the Goblins who raised them and trained them to be war machines. In the past Goblins who dared flaunt a Cyclops to the Ogres were put to death. Now as Chronopia descends into constant warfare the Ogres attempt to control their rage over what they perceive to be the exploitation of their genetically flawed kin and allow them to be fielded in battle. However sometimes the Ogres in the heat of battle loose control and attempt to release the tortured spirit of their mentally inferior kin. To the Ogre this is a matter of honor.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Horned God

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I have a cyclops but mine has a big rock and so I gave it an ability sort of like the Crusher, and I made the current Troll into something like the Ogre Deathseeker, which I dropped from the army. For me the troll model IS an Ogre, that is mutated by Orc Alchemy to resemble a real Troll (which is much larger) as the troll is size 4 and the ogre deathseeker is size 3. The ogre deathseeker then has the weapons of the troll, which is like saying the same weapons plus a falchion and a net and it has those 'troll like' attacks per action and its cost is adjusted upward.

That way the 'troll' model is not out of place, their is no need for an ogre deathseeker model as it already exists, and I dropped the normal Troll from the army list.

Done and done.

I have a cyclops, some Narneesh from chainmail, a minotaur and I like the idea of adding them as either devout or blackblood. One thing I did though was make them general monsters so when we do a scenerio they can be placed on the board and any faction or army may face them. I have a band of skaven too (a mutant faction of evil dwarves). I could modify that +2 to goblins and instead grant the bonus to skaven too. That'd be a neat little warband and individual.