Author Topic: Swampie force--spiders from mars  (Read 36347 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Swampie force--spiders from mars
« on: September 23, 2005, 05:58:27 AM »
I've kicked around the idea of starting a swampie force, being a Dwarf player m'self, and I'm wondering how I can max out a force like the all mounted Blackblood Goblins.  Then I thought, "Hunting spiders."  Lots of hunting spiders and some novice shaman to bring them to the field.  Those spiders are 45 points each, like the Desert Wolf warriors, and add up quickly.  I'll have to crunch the numbers this weekend.  Anyone have a spider heavy 1000 point force?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Swampie force--spiders from mars
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 07:06:45 AM »
funny enough my third army I got for chronpia was a spider heavy swamp goblin force. Havent't got the chance to try them out yet. but I sure would love too.

josh:instead of a novice shaman you might want to go with the web master. they adopt some his abilites and the pure joy of webbing a template full of guys and then haveing your spiders come in for the kill. priceless. ;D

Also it be kool to play game were the enemy fights in a spiders nest ( army of nothing but spiders ) it be like aliens in their hive but instead of aliens its spiders.
 yeah that would be kool.

-steve
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 07:15:41 AM »
That's what I'm talkin' about!!  Plus I figured (bad pun again, sorry) that the cost of throwing together this army would be managable on the budgie.  I'll be readin' up on the webmaster, masherking, as you've definitely pointed me in this direction.  Cheers.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 09:59:50 PM »
Ok...here's my take for the 1000 points Hunting Spider army of doom...

Unit #1

5 Hunting Spiders
1 Webmaster

Unit #2

5 Hunting Spiders
1 Webmaster

Unit #3

5 Hunting Spiders
1 Novice Shaman w/ Gourd Bombs

Unit #4

Shaman on Drone with: Fleetness, Seeds of the Poison Yukka, Chant

Unit #5

Sentinel

Total: 1000 points

Basically I put the Novice Shaman in there for the Gourd Bombs, to at least give the army some sort or ranged attack, to either disrupt of soften of core units before they get hit with the arachna-swarm. 

The Shaman on Drone plays both an offensive and defensive role. Both Fleetness and Chant add to stats (MV and CC/RC, respectively), so he is the perfect choice to augment the spiders when the time is right. The Poison Yukka is, again, as the Gourd Bombs, to give the army at least some semblance of a ranged attack, to soften and delay vital units, until the hairy, creepy-crawly butt-whooping commences...

The Sentinel is basically a support unit, to be used as an in between, to aid wherever an extra punch is needed.

There are also some options you could use to change this army.

As a variation, you can drop the Swamp Fiend, buy the Ambush! card effect (which I think would work quite nicely in this army), and that would leave 72 points remaining, to either buy special spiders for the Webmasters, and/or add another Hunting Spider in there somewhere.

Dang...this would be butt-loads of fun to play....going to have to order some Spiders...thanks Josh.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 10:15:29 PM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:49:52 AM »
Southpaw, it looks like you're doing the leg work for my lazy...  self.  One thing I want to check: Can the Hunting Spiders be had in units of 5?  I thought they were a 2-4 unit.  Either way, I appreciate you doing this breakdown.  I'm invariably going to go deeper in debt to possess this force.  Sigh.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 10:38:01 PM »
Southpaw, it looks like you're doing the leg work for my lazy...  self.  One thing I want to check: Can the Hunting Spiders be had in units of 5?  I thought they were a 2-4 unit.  Either way, I appreciate you doing this breakdown.  I'm invariably going to go deeper in debt to possess this force.  Sigh.

I'm not sure, I was using Army Builder, and didn't have my book handy. If they are only allowed in units smaller than what I posted, I will re-crunch the numbers for you.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »
Ok. The Hunting Spiders are indeed units of 2-4. So here is a revised 1000 pt. Spider army:

Units #1, 2, and 3.

4 Hunting Spiders
Novice Shaman w/ Gourd Bombs

Unit #4

8 Blowpipers
1 Blowpiper Leader

Unit #5

Shaman on Drone with Fleetness, Chant, and Seeds of the Poison Yukka

Total: 991 points

For a variation, and to keep with the spider theme, you can drop the Blowpipers, and add a unit of 7 Webmasters, and 1 Leader, for a new total of 997 points.

The basic principle remains the same. The spiders are, of course, the main attack units. I gave each spider unit a Novice Shaman, as opposed to the Webmaster Leader, to give them the Gourd Bombs, to have some sort of ranged attack, albeit a short ranged one. Seeing as how the Shaman can only throw the Gourd Bombs 5", the Powder Pipe seems to be equally useful, as I'd hate to see my Bomb deviate onto my own spiders...that would be most un-spiffy.

The Blowpipers are mainly a harassing unit, to slow down the enemy advance, and occupy their attention while the spiders advance. Even still, with such large numbers of darts flying through the air, you're going to make kills, just by sheer volume.

The Shaman on Drone, as before, is there to support and augment the spiders, and as a harasser, tossing Yukka seeds, engaging light troops, and general disruption and drawing as much fire away from the spiders as possible.

Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:16:09 PM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:20:46 AM »
You're obviously in league with that damnable Talamini!  I hope he's giving you a cut of all the money I've been dropping on models! ::)  If I have to start missing meals, I'll find a way to get'em. 

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 10:32:51 AM »
Nice force SP, I approve. Looking forward to your next order Mr. Slater.

The Damnable Talamini
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 11:53:01 AM »
"The Damnable Talamini"
                           -thom

.....ok, now thats funny
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 09:52:51 PM »
Glad you like it, boss. I aim to serve.

And as far as being in league with The Big Kahuna goes...well...I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you...  ;D
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 04:46:15 AM »
Damnable Southpaw!    ;D   I should have guessed you were in  league with the devil from your Milton quote.  Do you have a lit background from school?

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
I can't understand... how can you put a webmaster deplyed with the hunting spiders? Or a novice shaman? I always thought the rule: Deploy near a webmaster leader or a novice shaman just like the hounds of the SOK close to the hunter meant you nhad to place this people in their original wbs and place a wb of spiders in the correct distance from 'em. As it appears in this list, you can deploy the spiders with a novice shaman as an independent wb. Is it correct? This changes a lot in my army building ideas!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
I think he's part of the warband.  I'll ask Thom what he intended in the rules.