Author Topic: Homebrew  (Read 4904 times)

Offline micmellon

Homebrew
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:06:21 AM »
I and my friends are just starting some homebrew stuff. How does it work if we want to share the results with you in the forum? We will put everything into a PDf with pictures and a little bit fluff etc. As sources we want to use all the books from the RPG and the previous editions. We will use the units from the books and some personalities.
Who does it work with the copyrights, etc? We don’t want to run into trouble because violating any laws.
Is it enough to state clearly that it is a fan made product for non commercial home use?

We have no idea about it. Can somebody offer some help if we have to keep an eye on something?
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Re: Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
There are lots of fan pages around – some even sporting the out-of-print rulebooks in PDF form – that don´t get blasted by the current copyright holders. It always depends on the company´s attitude, though. Most times, they won´t give you trouble for a fan project unless you´re making money off it. After all, you´re advertising their product.

The only trouble you could expect would be with Fantasy Flight Games (stable of the MC collectible game), Isle of Man Film (makers of the MC movie - please forgive me for mentioning it) and Center of Gravity Games (a Swedish company which produced? - wanted to produce? - the 3rd edition MC with a radically different storyline and design, and might hold some of the rights). Any of those might possibly be offended if you wanted to revive the 1st edition since their vision of the MC universe is different. I don´t think they would feel exactly threatened by a fan project, though. If you ask all of them for permission, you´ll be on the safe side. On the other hand, it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie.

I love the idea of homebrew, and I´m looking forward to it! Though the general consensus seems to be that UWZ, in its current form, is a good and solid set of rules. Since there are significantly less players for the Warzone range than there are for tabletop games still in print, it probably would be best to stick to UWZ as standard, so as not to split the already meagre community.

That said, if you produce significant improvements, you can be sure that they will catch on like wildfire, since Warzone gamers tend to be an open-minded crowd. (At least that´s how they are in Germany.) And it is always interesting to look at different views. There´s some artwork from yours truly bouncing around in this forum that you´re free to use if you´re of a mind.

P.S. Correction: COGs license was revoked in Sep 2009 when they failed to deliver a finished product. The rights are currently held by Paradox Entertainment. Sorry!

"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »
We have no idea about it. Can somebody offer some help if we have to keep an eye on something?

Use the thread: Events, Army Ideas and Battle Reports.  If it is received well, and enough people are using it, perhaps I'll even "sticky" it.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:47:55 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline micmellon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »
Thank you! But first we have some work to do....  ;D
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Enker

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
Hello 

Thanks for the first informations about the copyrights.
But after this information I am not sure if it would be a good idea to share our pdf with the new units to the community.
You sure can understand that we do not want to get any trouble from the lizens holders.
But I think it would be a petty not to share it with you.

Can you say us which use in a fanmade pdf would be safe and which not?
Original names of the units.
Text (Fluff) from different sourcebooks.
Pictures from different sourcebooks.

And for the sources, which one could make trouble?
Warzone 1st Edition
Warzone 2nd Edition
Rulebooks of the Mutant Chronicle RPG.

Would it be a difference if we just make a topic with all the stuff (maybe except the pictures) in this forum, to a complete pdf with pictures and a semi prefessional looking?

Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
Hello 

Thanks for the first informations about the copyrights.
But after this information I am not sure if it would be a good idea to share our pdf with the new units to the community.
You sure can understand that we do not want to get any trouble from the lizens holders.
But I think it would be a petty not to share it with you.

Can you say us which use in a fanmade pdf would be safe and which not?
Original names of the units.
Text (Fluff) from different sourcebooks.
Pictures from different sourcebooks.

And for the sources, which one could make trouble?
Warzone 1st Edition
Warzone 2nd Edition
Rulebooks of the Mutant Chronicle RPG.

Would it be a difference if we just make a topic with all the stuff (maybe except the pictures) in this forum, to a complete pdf with pictures and a semi prefessional looking?

I would recommend against any copyright infringement, and err on the side of "Is including this bit of fluff really necessary, or is it simply self-serving."  Most of us (if not all of us) are familiar - enough - with the fluff and the rules.  Posting new units, modifications to existing units, etc. is not really infringement as long as it placed under a header of, "This is how we do it.  Please, use it if you like."
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Enker

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »

Hello,

We are still working on the pdf and what I can say, it looks very nice  ::)
I personally like a printed booklet with some fluff much more as only the necessary stats.
But at the moment I think we will only make a topic in the forum here without fluff and pics.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!