Author Topic: Warzone depression...  (Read 12286 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

Warzone depression...
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
I pulled out my Ultimate Warzone book over the weekend and just felt saddened. All these factions I'd never get to build cause heck... Looking at Prince August site and seeing VERY RARE!!!!!!!! $$$$$'s on all the minis just kind of gets my goat. I miss that brief period where I could order a couple squads on a whim and start building a new army without worrying that I'll never find a certain figure I was hunting. Hell, I'm still looking for some Wolfhead Dragoons. It's just sad that I'll never have that Cybertronic force or raise a Capitol group of Free Marines.
I got some good trades but ages ago I had a trade go completely south on me and left me out a couple hundred dollars in minis so I was kind of burned by that one. That was on minirealms all those years ago. Hell, trades aren't much for me as I really don't have much people both want and that I'm willing to part with. I jsut miss when the game was alive and orders were only a mouse click away to Thom. I guess it's regret that I didn't have the income to get everything I wanted at the time and now the quest for Warzone is stepping through a minefielded maze.
Sorry, guys, felt I had to share cause I was shedding a wargamer's tear to what was *the* game of choice for myself.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Re: Warzone depression...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »
 :( Thatīs not good to hear. Proxies only go so far, since it was the original illustrations which drew us to Warzone or Chronopia. How viable would a solution with counters be for you? This guy: http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,6499.0.html made some for Chronopia. I did the same since miniatures were scarce in Germany from the outset. There is a lot of artwork (and photos of the minis) of nearly all troops to be found in the rulebooks that could be copied-cut-and-pasted.

Iīve found that counters, while not as appealing as miniatures, are easy to carry and cheap to make, which means you can experiment with a lot of different army compositions with minimal outlay.
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
Oh the Irony, I JUST did this like 2 hours ago.  I wish i had time/people to play with.  I wish Warzone was right up there as a major player in the TTG industry.  But, as someone once said... "Wishing is for suckers".

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
 Put a list up of what you are after.Some people on here might be-able to help you out.I know a shop near to me which still has some Warzone and Chronopia stock.

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »
I may well do that. Just miss the one grunt squad, one elite, paint them order more. Rinse, repeat, no problem waiting for my next expendable bit of income. I could never do counters, though. Warzone was a line of minis I *REALLY* got excited about painting, converting, making terrain for. After the Excelsior fold it did spur me onwards to never bow to intellectual property again and start making games using generic rules like Astounding Tales, later Golgo Island and other more generic rules but I just miss that excitement around the game. I suppose Void, Vor, and other players of systems feel the same. I mean the game's alive as long as we're playing it, posting about it, but the last comment I got when someone came by at the shop was, "Wow, I heard of this game but this is the first time I've seen it played." Younger gamer, Warzone's been crippled for over five years now so... you know.

Out of my nostalgia I did rather decide perhaps to do my new post apocalypse 15mm project using the Ultimate Warzone rules. I mean really, why not? Probably not tweaking anything really just eyeballing stats and matching to be compatible. The idea is to recreate Operation Sunburst from Fallout New Vegas with the New California Republic troopers fighting the Brotherhood of Steel for possession of Helios One. Started thinking squad based tactics and well Warzone does that so well. Brotherhood power armor? I call them Venusian Rangers in the rulebook. If it follows my usual modus operandi it'll be a loose collection of scraps of paper I bring to the convention that is complete chaos behind the scenes but nice print outs for the players that make it look organized.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:00:36 AM »
This post had me leaf through the old drawings I made when I still played Mutant Chronicles. *sick with nostalgia*

"Like, do I shoot him now, Herr Leutnant, or do I let him stand where he is and let Lefčvre run him over with the tank? We can always claim it was an accident."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:34:17 AM by Horned Owl »

Offline Warlord

• THE WAY IS FORWARD!
    • 28mm World War II Wargaming at its finest...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
Where is the game now? I mean will it ever see the light of day again?

www.precisionmodeldesigns.com
www.Battlemart.com

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 05:41:38 AM »
Which one? MC or Warzone?

Offline micmellon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »
For Warzone there are two possibilities. People start their own homebrew like in the edition before or Thom and friends open their archives like they mentioned before as an option.

Thom mentioned to me in the past he would be willing to start an extra page for this project but never found time to start with it. But that is already long time ago. RL keeps him to busy... I can understand that.

Until that I think me and my friends will start a small homebrew project. After 10 years it is time for some fresh wind and I am not willing to get depression. Sorry guys but I am more a let’s take it into our own hands guy. That brings me to a new topic...
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »
I found a lot of good trades/purchases with people on here-- or through some patient and diligent ebay watching.

I may have extra stuff for sale - What are you looking for?

D

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
There are some companies making new models that would fit very well in our favorite games.   ;)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »
I would also post over at Bartertown that you are looking for Warzone, and maybe trade away some other gaming stuff you might have lying around. 

You see lots coming up every once in a while, and the prices are still pretty reasonable on most items.  Some of the hard to find stuff is out of control, but you can proxy those pieces, and fill in your collection a bit at a time, or maybe with a single larger strategic purchase. 

Good luck!
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
Have we had a bad trader here?  I'm pretty sure the good trader thread is very long.   
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:55:49 AM »
If anything I'm sad I haven't had MORE time to play.  One of these days soon.... :)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:04 AM »
I think what TwoGunBob is saying is that he misses the time where everything was available and you didnīt have to think about it. Itīs true that building an army is easier when you know in advance that youīll be able to get those Free Marines or Blood Berets later on, for a fixed and reasonable price, after youīve finished your grunts.

I had the same thing when I misplaced one book from my favourite series, found out it was out of print, and had to scour the Internet for it. It took me several afternoons, and the best offer I got was for € 180. Thatīs about US$ 235. For a bloody pocket book. If Bob has experienced something similar with his miniatures, I can empathise. And pointing the remaining traders out probably wonīt help, since the antiquarian issue is still there: itīs work to dig them out, youīre working under pressure if you need a certain miniature or squad, and you canīt be sure of the price. Itīs a psychology thing.

There are those who enjoy hunting down out-of-production miniatures (primal hunter-gatherer instinct, I suppose), but not everyone works that way. If itīs not your thing, thatīs an annoying chore you have to do in order to be able to do the things you really enjoy with the minis, like painting and playing. You have to work up the motivation to do it.