Author Topic: Deployment  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Enker

Deployment
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:26:45 AM »
There are three special deployment abilities and the normal deployment.
What do you think is the best deployment option?

My oppinion:

Guerilla: A bad deployment SA. You have to deploy your models on the table in the deployment phase.
So, your enemy could be able to shot them, if they are not completly in cover and your opponent knows earlier what you field.
You don't have the advantage of a normal deployment to spread your force out (ready to shot at the enemy) when revealing the deployment card.
The redeployment on another place in the D-Zone cost you a full turn. The best thing on Guerilla is the -1 to hit, but
here I'm only talking about the deployment.

Parachut: The worst option. There is a great chance that your trooper is landing on an obstacle and can do nothing, and even if he hits
open ground there is big chance that you have only one or zero actions left. So your troopers sit like ducks on the battlefield,
ready to be taken out by the enemy.
One plus is that in some scenarios you can win easily, if the scenario is not well thought-out.

Infiltrate: A moderate option. You get your troopers close to the enemy. That has advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages: You can field your troops in good strategic positions. You can field them close to the mission objective.
Disadvanteges: Your troops are isolated from the rest of your army and could be an easy target. The fact that they are
close to the enemy makes them vulnarabel to many weapons.

Normal deployment: I voted for this. You have your army stick together. The unit cards make this option very usefull.
And last but not least, it cost no extra points, the models are cheaper. I play Capitol and with normal deployment you are
most time in the perfect distance for Assault Rifles which have most Capitol troops.

The other options in my oppinion only make sense for special mission objectives
but for this I love the Banshees. They get quick and save to the object.

What is your vote?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Deployment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:39:30 AM »
I love paradeploying.  I have wreaked havoc behind enemy lines time and time again.  Further, paradeploying a Kaptain with LD 15 can on your first activation can force an enemy to reveal many deployment cards, thereby exposing them to fire as you activate your squads.

Paradeploy has risks - no doubt - but they can be minimized with proper planning and tactics.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 06:57:16 AM »
Guerilla also has some nice advantages. If you place a guerilla squad or 2 on one side of your deployment zone, your enemy MUST react to that, or else your guerillas are going to march up that side of the board uncontested. But, if they do that, they risk you moving them to the other side of the board, leaving those squads well out of position, and scrambling to get back into a useable position.  I won a game because of that, backing up the guerillas with a couple of great greys. redeployed the guerillas, and moved the greys to the other side (move 6 really helps with this). Had all troops basically charge up one side of the board, while 1/2 of his forces were on the other side of the board, effectively useless.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »
Paradeploy and Infiltrate are the best by far.  I drop/trate my guys as close as i can allow  (13 inches for infiltrate and 9 inches for paradeploy) as soon as I can (first turn).  the paradeploy template being 9 inches away gives for the closest attack force with acceptable chances of loss and the infiltraters in 13 inches gives me the greatest number of rifles on target at once. Both of these force the opponent to reveal his cards before he wants to and also to deal with the immediate threat while I can manuever my troops in the rest of the field.  THe one requirement is that you have to take slightly beefy squads as they will effectively be alone for most of the game.   I tend to take at least two squads of either and at least one Individual with the same ability.

Normal is possibly my least favorite choice as it is the most limiting and tends to be an even distribution of clumps of troops.  Given that most of the time I won't know what the other guy has or where he has it, I tend to just deploy however I want.

Guerrila I like if only because it gives me both a heady decoy (i love the guessing game it forces onto the other player) as well as an extra permanant penalty to hit are a real boon.

-PFC joe

*edited to correct misreading*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:49:01 PM by PFC joe »
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:03:06 AM »
Another good discussion topic Enker. :)

Guerilla: A bad deployment SA. You have to deploy your models on the table in the deployment phase.
So, your enemy could be able to shot them, if they are not completly in cover and your opponent knows earlier what you field.
They can't be shot at (unless you leave them in place) since you can remove them at the end of the deployment. You do lose a turn if you do it so that can be a downside.

Guerrila I like if only because it gives me both a heady decoy (i love the guessing game it forces onto the other player) as well as an extra six inches of advancement are a real boon.
Guerilla Training does not give an extra six inches, that's Reconnaisance Training. I guess you use a Covert Ops. :)

Offline LAWwaldo

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:36:54 PM »
  I agree with jjdodger on Guerrilla training being very useful.  The losing a turn is not big compared to your ability to disrupt the enemy plans and make them lose turns with at least one of their other units.  I have caused lots of headaches with this ability.  Plus, that extra -1 to hit is an awsome ability.  Everybody knows if you get hit in Warzone your most likely gonna die and so anything that stacks onto other modifiers is awsome in my book.
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when your stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:02:54 PM »
Sorry I can't vote - The best style of deployment depends on the scenario and the unit/game  objectives.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »
I like the standard form of deployment. Its one of the things that drew me to UWZ.

But my fav form and the one that got my vote is infiltrate. I started playing the game with Bauhaus and the Jaegers are awesome. I used to field a full squad of Jaegers with 2 HMGS and the Kaptain. Seeing as you can deploy as close as 12" from the nearest card/model the kaptains 15" LD tends to reveal alot of units. If you win initiative, then one move for the HMGS and you can unload from short range and reek havoc on their line up. If used properly this can be devastating.

Philly
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 04:33:08 PM »
I am a big fan of Infiltrate...I like being able to set up a squad in a strategically advantageous position from the beginning...

yes, they can be shot at from the beginning, but if you use this properly, then yuo ahve the advantages of good cover and, nore importantly, the rest of your force can start to march up the field with little aggravation...

other than that, I like plain ole simple normal deployment...just keep the lads together and supporting each other...

I very rarely use the other two SA's, even though I have squads that have them...

B.
Sneaky Git...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline behemoth

• Journeyman
    • Kimmo's Corner
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »
Ahem... Guerrilla Training has one extra advantage not yet mentioned.
Once you deploy your *models*, your enemy cannot deploy their infiltrators within 12 inches of those. With two Guerrilla units, you can very effectively narrow down the possible places your enemy must place their (possible) infilltrators.

The SA of Infiltrate states *model* not card. So unless I'm gravely mistaken, you CAN deploy infiltrators closer than 12 inches to unit cards. If not so, then I hope a FAQ entry will soon be introduced to clarify this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 11:26:27 PM by behemoth »
"Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
That don't mean you got the right."
-Motorhead

Offline Enker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 12:17:05 AM »
Ok, with infiltrate I can go along, that this is a good deployment option.
For Capitol the Rangers with their medium range kicking sniper Sniper it works well.
(Why can't I put two of them into a squad? Arghh!)
For Bauhaus with their HMG it's even better.

A few sentences on Guerilla. We play on a 72'' x 48'' field, so you have to deploy your
troops along a 60'' line. On this 60'' I usally deploy 4-6 squads plus individuals and support.
Sometimes we play with four player and slightly smaller forces, so you have even more troops.
I personally need the whole 60'' for deployment to give each squad a good position with cover
and a firering area. If I would concentrate them all on one side of the table, there were not enough
cover for my soldiers and the squads would contrain each other.
They would stick together and be an vulnarable target to template weapons.
So I really don't know if the concentration on one side is dangerous for your opponent or for yourself.
If tried this once and I have come a crooper with this tactic.
Beside that the Sea Lions and Adm. Colbys Guard belong to the worse elite squads of Capitol.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!