Author Topic: SOK def Q  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Jaypeel

SOK def Q
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
Hi all,
I am starting to get into playing Chronopia again after getting a few armies from Ebay and B-town.
I have never played SOK, (and have mostly played 1st edition) and after looking at their stats, was wondering if all those low defs aren't to low?
I mean anywhere from -5 to -7 seems pretty impressive.
Unless you have the feint ability, even a soullflayer with cc 15 hits with a 10 or less, not to mention a lowly swamp goblin or risen.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Re: SOK def Q
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
I don´t usually play 2nd edition, but the rationale is probably that the Sons are unencumbered by armour, thus being more agile. And living in the Untamed lands amongst the wild beasts has made them into better warriors than soft city folk – after all, while a Firstborn soldier or Orc swordsman between campaigns pulls garrison duty and learns gambling, the Untamed warrior goes foraging and hunting, and learns to dodge the attacks of snow tigers and bears.

In game terms, I presume the Sons needed better Def modifiers to be competitive – after all, they suck at ranged combat (or rather, prefer to go toe-to-toe with their enemy), and their armour is virtually non-existent. So after braving the withering fire of the other races´ missile troops, they at least need to live up to their reputation in close combat. With 1st edition, playing the Untamed was all about gaining initiative. Basically, if you jumped a warband with your Sons on your own initiative, you had the opportunity to do quite a bit of damage. If you caught them on their initiative, the Sons were cut down in an instant before they could do more than snarl at the enemy. There were no second chances with the Sons of Kronos.

So the idea is that of an Untamed warrior ducking and weaving, braving the storm of enemy blades with sheer agility. Once his enemy connects, he is dead.
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
2nd edition is balanced quite nicely, but you still want to get initiative and strike first.  Even with the low Defensive Modifier, decent dice will kill you.  I just had my Shadow Tribe go down to Goblin Archers in CC with daggers.   :'( :'( :'(

I've been playing them now for the last four or five games, and haven't mastered the art of them yet against the Blackbloods.  Mind you, my opponent knows them like the back of his hand, but I'm still not playing my army the correct way.

The SOK are not the best army for a beginner, but the player who knows that and still dives in can do it with some sound tactics, and using enough cover.

The thrown spears of the Tribal Warriors are really a must it seems.  I'm finding that the all Close Combat force for the SoK is tougher to play than one for the Dwarves. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Jaypeel

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
Well, we play tested a small skirmish to refresh our memeories of the rules.
I ran with what I had painted, as a soon as my camera skills improve I'll post some pics.
Squads were 1/2 sized to get a quick game in.
I had a hunter,  3 wardogs, 2 bezerkers and 2 slingers, my wife had 3 risen, 4 risen archers, 2 dusk realm warriors and a dusk realm demon.
Things started great, one of the slingers hit a dusk realm warrior that rolled 20 for its  AR save twice and died.
After that, SOK all ran into cover ready to whoop some undead.
Risen archers took out most of dogs , remaining dusk realm warrior killed the 2 slingers, Dusk realm demon opened up and massacred the hunter and beserkers, who failed to hit , with some awesome dice rolls.

So my opinion of the SOK low def, being to low has changed. If they get hit, they get hit really, really hard.
Those little loinclothes sure don't offer much protection :)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:44:23 AM »
See? Told you so  ;)

The one thing I have yet to crack with the Sons of Kronos is a unit of Braced spearmen. Unless you jump them with an Aonbarr horse (which is a single model and will be wiped out regardless), they are just too good on the defensive. And pulling out your Viridians just to throw axes at lowly spearmen ties up more points than they are worth (apart from my predilection against elite troops).
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."