Author Topic: Help! Bio-Giant variant?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Bobban

Help! Bio-Giant variant?
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to these forums, and have a question I hope someone can help with.

Ordered a Dark Legion Bio-Giant from Prince August that I recently received. Very happy with the figure but I was wondering something ...

As seen in the pictures below my model is different from the one pictured on the front of the box. At first I thought that the photograph may have been a prototype and the final model was different. But after a google search I only found pictures of figures that are like the one in the photo. Have not been able to find a single picture of a Bio-Giant similar to mine. The major differences include the right arm, which is adjacent to the body in my model (instead of sticking out like in the picture) and have some kind of fur-bands at the center of the arm. And the big "belt" of sheet metal pieces that are visible on the back. Other minor features include an extra tube in the middle of the left arm and a small skull in the middle of the belt.

Does anyone know anything about this? Were there two versions of the figure? Can mine be a prototype, or perhaps some sort of later "upgrade"? Grateful for all the info I can get  :)

Offline Grinder

• In war, truth is the first casualty.
Re: Help! Bio-Giant variant?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:23 AM »
My model is the same as yours

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »
 Mine too looks to be the same as yours.It looks like the model was changed to help with casting.That would be one reason for adding the arm band too.Makes the jion less noticeable.

Offline Lancelot

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
As the story of the varients goes :

When the Bio giant was first made by Target Games, it was orginally made and packaged at the Design studio / Irish factory overseas.  The solid resin piece pictured body is from the first casting series. Thats how it was supposed to be. When it came time to make more, it was found someone over there had dropped the masters and broke them. To salvage it they added more armor and such  to hide the break and re- worked it  to become a two-part model. But yes they never changed any pics to show the difference.

Heck , It was a surprise to even us at Target US when folks started asking about it. We had no idea until we went and opened up the new packaged boxes and there they were...two pieces.  We did some asking and thats when folks over there admitted what happened.

Now there WAS a prototype Biogiant that was pictured way back when. ( pretty sure there was a Pretorian Behemoth as well) These had multiple parts and were HUGE(2x to 3x the size of the current models) . They were probably shelved due to the cost of producing them.

Offline Bobban

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »
Aha! Thank you so much for that information, Lancelot. Always interesting to learn the truth behind old legends :)

I wonder why there are so few pictures of the "new" variant around the web, though? I would assume that the original Bio-Giant model would be more rare and harder to find but all pictures of painted models I have come across have been the original sculpt.