Author Topic: Flipping Unit Cards  (Read 4365 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
Flipping Unit Cards
« on: February 06, 2006, 06:49:49 AM »
"The Unit Card remains on the table to represent the unit until the first time that unit activates or a spell/attack targets it."
"The only other way to reveal an opponent's unit that is still face down and unknown is to get a friendly unit within a certain number of inches from the target card."
"Models that are hidden, ... do not have to reveal themselves when activated"

a) So, if I have only standard units, that can't hide, once the first turn is over, if i've activated all my units, the only unit card not revealed will be the false lead?

b) "until a spell/attack targets it": how can I tell if I have LOS to the enemy unit if I don't know what unit it is? e.g. a Bio Giant is very tall, so I might still be able to see it over an obstacle, while if it's a SZ 2 model, I won't be able to see it.

c) what if I targeted the false lead? do I waste an action? What about aiming at a yet-to-reveal unit card?

thanks, Chribu

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Flipping Unit Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »
Example b) is a bit of a miswording.  Unrevealed cards may not be targeted - period.  That was clarified some time ago.  Therefore, the only way to target an unrevealed unit is to first spot it.  Draw LOS to center of card, ignoring SZ of model (you don't really know it's there, you just think something may be there).  If you are within LD (less any modifiers for the unit actually represented by the card), make your spot check.  If it is a Flase Lead, or a unit with no SA that allow it to remain hidden (Stalk, Stealth, Lurk, etc.) it is automatically revealed with no need to Spot.

SA's already mentioned, and others like Camo, Smoke and Cover all play a part, here.  They reduce the number of inches you must be within, and they penalize the LD check roll.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
So, normally, during the first round, the only units you can shoot at are the ones that have already been activated? And thus, the first unit activated in the game never gets to shoot (unless infiltrate, etc...)?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:17:40 PM »
your word of the day is

"Terrain"

unlike that other game, the majority of battles in UWZ are benifieted by being placed in a non-arena like valley devoid of any cover whatso ever.  If you can draw a straight unobstructed line between deployment zones you could probably use more cover.

That said, the first unit, while being the most able to be targeted throughout the game also gets the benefit of being able to move to cover without anyone being able to take popshots at them on the way.

Unless you're a follower of the Patton Doctorine, which basicly states "attack, attack, attack.  If you can't attack then move to where you can".  I paratroop and Infiltrate right on top of enemy squads and slaughter them in their sleep.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Jervon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:46:08 AM »
OK and what whit the hidden models. How to reveal them? Standard rules said that the center point of the unit card is the place where Squad Leader appears, and other squad members may be placed anywhere in comand radius of SL - and whithin the specifed deployment zone. I think taht those rules are very bad when used whit hidden units, because when I move outside the deployment zone, and i reveal my models then squad members may be placed 6" - standard CR is 6 - in front of my SL - the will never go so far if they must go in there normal way. Another example is crossing some walls. My unit card may by in front of bulding an if someone spot my models I may decide that only leader was outside and tha other models are in the building. There are more examples like that. Someone please explain me how hidden models should be revealed.
Sorry for my bad language.

Offline Jervon

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 08:56:25 AM »

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 09:44:15 AM »
Your examples of the hidden unit deployment from the Cards sounds about right.  In fact I've used something similar to my advantage.  When a friend Paradeployed his Crimson Devils close to one of my unrevealed infiltrating Ranger squads he revealed their card and forced them to be deployed on the board.  I placed the Squad Leader on the dot and the rest of the squad either in cover behind him or scattered throughout his Paradeployment zone.  He lost the majority of his squad due to them landing within three inches of my now revealed Rangers.

so, to your comment I can only say,

"i'm sorry you feel that way"

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum