Author Topic: Warzone and Chronopia or 40K and Warhammer  (Read 19068 times)

Offline Fallen

• Eighty Four, PA
Warzone and Chronopia or 40K and Warhammer
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:14:32 PM »
Okay,

I have been playing GW games for some ten years now but over the past year or so work and sleep have taken up most of my time.  Now that things are some what back to normal I want to jump back in to gaming with both feet to make up for lost time.  I am either going to go back to GW and start new armies or I am going try EE games.  I am leaning towards EE but I just need a little push and I have a few concerns about  EE games:

1) Finding players in South West PA.
                            2) Future support and growth of Warzone and Chronopia.
                            3) Getting gaming friends to give EE a try.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Warzone and Chronopia or 40K and Warhammer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 08:41:32 PM »
Okay,

I have been playing GW games for some ten years now but over the past year or so work and sleep have taken up most of my time.  Now that things are some what back to normal I want to jump back in to gaming with both feet to make up for lost time.  I am either going to go back to GW and start new armies or I am going try EE games.  I am leaning towards EE but I just need a little push and I have a few concerns about  EE games:

I left GW long ago when Warzone 1st ed came out but let me try to help. I heartily recommend Warzone and Chronopia. I think the factions and the storyline are cohesive and make sense whereas the GW products seem to go off on tangents to support whatever the current production team thinks is cool. Excelsior creates units that support and advance the storyline. The games are also much better balanced. Now on to your specific concerns

- Hopefully our Player Locator will be put on this forum soon. It was a great tool for finding people in your area to play. The home of EE is in Philly and there are several players in the West PA/East OH area if I recall. Give a shout out and I'm sure someone will answer the call. If nothing else I'll meet you in Columbus, OH and play - We'll have to take a break for Italian food and cheesecake though.  ;D  Napoli Villa is a major Midwest Crusader hangout during Origins

- Excelsior has had problems but I and everyone else here has stuck with them thru some hard times. That, in my opinion  speaks volumes about the support of the games and their growth potential. Some people will tell you Excelsior can't cut it but I know the people and work as a Crusader (Excelsior version of an Outrider) and I truly believe that these are the greatest games on the market.

- Getting them to try the first game might be a tad difficult but once they try the game and see the alternate activation system in action they will love it and you'll be playing all the time. That is probably the thing people like best about the game. Coupled with the excellent storyline, and balanced units the alternate activation is the heart of a great gaming experience. If you get them to try it once, they will play.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 10:02:35 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 11:05:36 PM »
Not to mention you only need 20 or so models to play Warzone/Chronopia. And if you liked the grim settings of WFB and 40K you'll love the darkness of UWZ and Chronopia.

Offline Fallen

• Eighty Four, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 07:50:18 AM »
Thanks for the help guys you have helped me decide.

Now I know that I am going to have to provide both forces for both games to get things started.  What points size do you recommend for some one who is just starting out with both games.  I have the rules books for both games and have been   reviewing them to get an idea of the game systems and how they play.  What force composition should I start with.  For     Chronopia I think I will start with Dwarfs and Firstborn and for Warzone Imperials and Dark Legion. One last thing can I                use a 4x4 table for this size of games.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:01:54 AM »
If the other players are experienced mini gamers I'd say start in the 500 to 750 point range. For that you can get 1 or 2 grunt units, an elite choice and an individual and maybe have a few points left over to add in support. I'd say to get factions that have a fluff appeals to you. As for the table size - I have used 4x4 numerous times and have had good results with armies in the 750 to 1,000 point range. Start with some of the scenarios in the UWZ book - they will work for Chronopia also. You just need to change the storyline but the technical aspects are basically the same.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 08:07:08 AM »
A 4X4 table can work. Warzone games tend to be loaded with terrain. Something 40K players I drag into can't seem to get their minds around cause they are used to one hill and a small copse of trees apparently. They want wide open firing lanes and Warzone supports tactical movement of squads more. At least in my games. The dynamics of Warzone make it important to position troops and do covering advances and the like. Since it's a more refined IGOUGO you have to plan out advances. No mad rushes across the table cause your troopers can shrug off a hundred hits from an HMG-85.
Imperial come in two flavors with me. Wolf Packs and IDMF. You can pollenate between the two to some extent but I keep the savages out of my lists usually cause it just looks odd to me. The Imperial list I play is pretty basic Regulars, Blood Berets, Hurricane Walkers but very solid.
Dark Legion? Hmmm, I'd suggest starting with a Horde or Cultist list and then choose to build a Dark Apostle force later. Hope this helped a little.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

dagorauk

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 08:12:22 AM »
Southwest PA, huh? Down near Pittsburgh or are you closer to Grove City?
Myself and a handful of other Chronopia players live just a short way south of Erie (on Lake Erie of course).
Distance could make regular gaming a pain, but occassional meetings might work, and if we can travel down to play with you in your haunt, then we might be able to convert some gamers to your new cause.

Offline mchiao

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 08:23:19 AM »
Anyone in NYC would be interested in getting together and play warzone/chronopia on a regular basis?

Philly is too far for me to go...

Sigh!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 08:27:45 AM »
There is a whole crew of guys from New Jersey that play regularly. I haven't seen their handles pop up yet but they might be sporting new ones. The Excelsior Crew and I assume the "Jersey Boys"  ;) will be at Southern Exposure (check the calander). Drop by if you can and I'm sure you'll find some guys to match up with.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:32:04 AM by Topkick »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:34:50 AM »
Gotta get the player locater back! 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:55:41 AM »
Gotta get the player locater back! 

I agree but until we get it back we need to help people find each other as best we can. Maybe we can all ID our locations in our signatures or in our personal text

If anyone in the Midwest Region needs to find someone contact me and I will attempt to point you to the closest known player or venue. The Midwest Region is composed of Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.

I can also offer limited help hooking up people in the US and Europe - at least I might know who they can contact anyway.  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 10:04:04 AM by Topkick »

Offline Spagg

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 11:20:01 AM »
Glad you are here Fallen. You will not regret the choice you have made. Not only do I believe the rules are better and a lot more clean than the GW stuff, but you will also not have to obtain a 2nd mortgage to get some playable armies!

I am also glad to see you are interested in the Dark Legion. Read the fluff and play whatever faction or factions you like. I play Algeroth and Ilian (I will be playing Demnogonis very soon also). The cool thing is, I also have enough minins to field a horde or a cultist army. The lists are very flexible and again the price is right.

Good luck and hang around the forums. You can get a lot of good info and advice!!

Spagg

Offline Shidoshi357

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »
I would look at your financial situation....GW models/armies will cost sooooo much
'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou
mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 07:54:12 AM »
Don't be rediculous; $50 (US) is NOT too much for a single plastic model that you have to have to make your army list valid.  And $35 for a squad of five is a bargain.

I work for the government. 

I use $50 toilet lids all the time just to put things in perspective.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 10:49:38 AM »
ROTFLMAO
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!