Author Topic: Warzone and Chronopia or 40K and Warhammer  (Read 19075 times)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Warzone and Chronopia or 40K and Warhammer
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 11:55:53 AM »
I like how he compares GW to Toilet Lids.

only Sh*t passes through here"
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 12:19:50 PM »
Banination for that comment! That comment would get you executed on some forums!

That said...  ;D
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Pietia

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 12:42:34 PM »
Ok, guys. To get you back on track: UWZ vs 40K

UWZ is about the little guys you can identify with. 40K is about the superhuman machines of destruction with psychotic and homicidal tendencies (also known as Space Marines)
In UWZ the terrain provides cover for your troops. In 40k the terrain is a stupid obstruction, the game would be so much better without it ;-)
In UWZ basic infantry weapons are BASIC weapons, support weapons are for SUPPORT. In 40k it is ok, if you roll dice only for the big guns. Guys with lasguns and other small arms are there only as ablative shield.
In UWZ you watch every move of your oponent with interest, as he is up to something, that's sure AND in five minutes it will be your time to do something. In 40k you can go watch TV on your oponents turn for half an hour, when you'll come back, half of your army will be dead, but you won't be surprised at all.
In UWZ you have to work hard to utilize the guys with pointy sticks properly (and the same goes for those with slugthrowers). In 40K all you have to do is CHARGE!

5:0 for UWZ ;-)

Offline dane

• Board Member
  • The Board
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 08:40:25 PM »
That was very cool, I agree al the way Pietia!

Be Well
We are all who we say we are. So long as our actions are the same as our words.

Mishima prophet

Offline Fallen

• Eighty Four, PA
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 09:01:50 AM »
Thanks for the help and all the replies, but I need some help on selling this to the guys I game with.

EE is unknown to them and getting them to try a new system other than GW is going to be difficult. What I am looking for is the difference between the two systems that makes EE games more fun or (funner) if you prefer than GW games. 

I don't want to beat up on GW just because they are the big boy on the block, and trying to belittle someone or something never really gets you anywhere anyhow.

I have been following  Chronopia and Warzone for years but only as a observer not as a player so I kind of know the fluff but am now just learning the games mechanics.

So I quess my question is why you guys prefer these two systems over other gaming systems, so I have an idea how to present it to the guys I game with.

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 10:42:07 AM »
Alright, I'm not a GW player and never have been, Warzone is the first and only TTG I've ever played.  But, I've stuck with it since 1st ed in 1995.  What I'm saying is I don't know the GW system but I will try to reiterate some of the comments I've heard converts make on the old forums.

Warzone uses an alternating activation system, that means you move one squad and then I get an immediate opportunity to react with one of my squads.  This makes for more engaging play because you have to watch your opponent at every step so you can plan your move.

Warzone uses double blind deployment.  Which means you wont know whats downfield from your position at the start of play and neither will your opponent.  Until they are activated units are represented by unit cards placed face down, so you have to think "Is that unit card over there a worthless grunt squad like the Freedom Brigade, or is it Something terrifying like a 3 man squad of Orca?"  Some units have special abilitys such that their deployment card isn't turned over automatically when you activate them.  Double blind deployment prompts strategic thinking on the part of the players and adds an additional dynamic to play.

Others who have more GW experiance can probably tell you more but these are the two things I hear most frequently used to extoll the virtues of EE over GW.

As for getting your friends to try it, if you buy the Pizza and beverages, supply the armies, and host the event at your place, who is going to turn you down?  If you don't want to invest in buying armies until you know that your friends will play, which is understandable, see if you can use these forums to find a crusader in your area to come to your local gaming store and put on a demonstration, once they see Warzone in action I bet they'll come onboard.

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 11:32:35 AM »
Honestly, it comes down to flavor. In some regards Warzone is a hard sell to some people. I've had hell trying to get people into it around Dallas/Ft. Worth. Comparing the two is a lot like comparing a Jonagold Apple to a Braebrun Apple.
40K has the monsterous support of GW which in undeniably the juggernaut of wargames.

The alternative activation is the truly big one. Honestly, you can react in a turn to a players reaction rather than wait for your entire force to be shot and charged before you can even think of a way to counter it. Warzone allows you more tactical flexibility during the game. It also keeps you at the table. Turn length is about the same between both games but you are constantly involved in Warzone rather than just waiting. Makes for a more dynamic game that is more raw-nerved to a degree.

The balance between combat. Perhaps Warzone favors shooting a little more but not to the extent 40K favors hand-to-hand combat. Hand-to-hand is the be all end all within 40K, 4th edition seems to have gone towards making shooting more equal but seems woefully inadequate still. Balance between shooting and hand-to-hand is more balanced. There is no charging of armored soldiers through a firing line in a seemingly suicidal fashion that has no casualties for receiving the volume of fire and mounting the fortification to chop the opponents to bits.

Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em