Author Topic: Mitch Hunter  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Raga

Mitch Hunter
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:34:24 AM »
My question considers 1st edition, but I am aware that there are very few 1st edition players here.
Please treat my question as if the ability was in UWZ.

Mitch Hunter Rule:
"If enemy model charges into close combat with Mitch, Mitch automatically gets to perform one close combat attack before the enemy model gets to perform any attacks"

My questiobn is:
Should Mitch Hunter's extra attack be considered a charge or not?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:51:12 AM by Raga »
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Mitch Hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »
I would think not.  It might be considered a "Braced for a Charge," though; Phil?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »
I'd say no as well, since Mitch doesn't spend an action to Charge (and get the charging bonus). A more intriguing situation would be if Mitch is countercharging a model, but since the extra attack is not part of an action, it is not part of a charge or countercharge. This is different from models who may attack twice per action.

Aren't there other models who get those strange out of sequence actions? (slaughtermaster's tail comes to mind but it might be different)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:28:27 AM by Oakwolf »

Offline Raga

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
dmcgee1: Thanks.

Oakwolf: Slaughtermaster is pretty well described, but you show another problem.

We agree that if Mitch is charged he "braces" and gets standard CC attack (even if opponent gets the charge bonuses - there was no Bracing in 1st edition)
What if Mitch is waiting when charged? The extra attack is not part of an action so:
a) Mitch can fire his Shotgun (wait) and then make a first strike slash with his Sword (no doubts here)
b) Mitch countercharges and makes his free close combat attack, and then they resolve countercharge situation normally? (Im not sure here, but it doesn't seem to be against the rules)
c) Mitch is charged from behind (normally he wouldn't be able to use his wait action, but automatic attack could be possible)
d) Mitch is charged from concealment (Mitch cannot parry and opponennt gets additional bonuses) Does is disable Mitch's ability to strike? I know that considering normal models it would be disabled as in c), but since the attack is automatic it can be interpreted as reckless 6th sense swing before he gets stabbed.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
What if Mitch is waiting when charged? The extra attack is not part of an action so:

a) Mitch can fire his Shotgun (wait) and then make a first strike slash with his Sword (no doubts here)
Sounds fair and simple here, as long as the ennemy has reached him in cc ;)

b) Mitch countercharges and makes his free close combat attack, and then they resolve countercharge situation normally? (Im not sure here, but it doesn't seem to be against the rules)
That is my interpretation of the rule indeed, and goes along with how it is writen. The attack take places before normal combat actions.

c) Mitch is charged from behind (normally he wouldn't be able to use his wait action, but automatic attack could be possible)
Given Mitch is -the- epitome of the grizzled doomtrooper hero of the Warzone universe...i've absolutely no problem imagining that guy killing stuff without even looking. The rules does not hint to an exception either. I consider that he is made to butcher swarms of undead legionnaires(a la Army of Darkness) so that you need to commit a Nepharite or whatever monstruosities to prevent it.  Independant characters will likely parry the automatic attack, or save it through armor so it's not that powerful, when you take everything in perspective.

d) Mitch is charged from concealment (Mitch cannot parry and opponennt gets additional bonuses) Does is disable Mitch's ability to strike? I know that considering normal models it would be disabled as in c), but since the attack is automatic it can be interpreted as reckless 6th sense swing before he gets stabbed.
Same as the previous question, he won't get to parry and opponent will get additional bonuses, but he still would get the additional strike anyway.

-snip- Edited!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:39:19 PM by Oakwolf »

Offline Raga

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:15:18 AM »
Oakwolf: Thanks for your interpretation, but are you sure that Hunter's extra attack works when he has the initiative?
Countercharge is not exactly the same action as Charge, and ability is triggered only by charge.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
ah that's true, it's only when charged. I think i got off course and imagined all situations, even those not in the rules  :D  (going to snip that)

Offline Raga

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
I think that my problem is solved. Thanks for your support.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
To answser the original question. He receives a free first attack when charged. Its not a charge, counter charge, or braced.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
To answser the original question. He receives a free first attack when charged. Its not a charge, counter charge, or braced.

What Phil said.

Mitch gets a free attack against the man charging him SEPERATE from his actions...  From a fluff-perspective, he's got this 6th Sense for danger that's about to get up-close and personal.  If he's on wait, all depends on what he does.  He'd lose it on a countercharge (cause he is no longer waiting for the next victim of his mighty Pimp Hand)...
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y