Author Topic: [2nd edition] Ring of Fire (red lotus spell)  (Read 25815 times)

Offline Oakwolf

[2nd edition] Ring of Fire (red lotus spell)
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
Hello, another question here.

I wonder about the Ring of Fire spell.

Can the Red Lotus Eater cast more than one of those at a time?

In some scenarios this could pretty much sceal a game (things like take and hold, defend a bridge, etc)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: [2nd edition] Ring of Fire (red lotus spell)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
I've seen four or five of these in effect on a board.  You can cast as many times as you are successful.  It's only Summoning that limits you to three castings in a game.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 04:52:54 AM »
Actually Josh, the rule is you may Summon as many times as the summoner has actions. All summoning models happen to have 3 actions, but if a new model were to have only 2 actions (for example) it could only Summon twice.
"Bring your best dice or bring a good brick." - Thom

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
There's a bit of an issue if you can plant 4-5 of those templates on a board...i mean for a normal bash, it's not a problem as you can go around it, it's when it comes to scenarios that the spell gets very gimmicky.

Cross the bridge: just cast that thing on the bridge and it's game over (imagine two).

Take and hold: a bit like the bridge, it can prevent access to the objective.

Sieges: cast in front of the gate.

Doing residual damage 12, only the most powerful pieces in the game can dare to go through a single time, let alone the other side.

While fluffy and worthy of a "fire bender" movie style, it can transform a game to a non-issue quickly.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
so would the spell be counted as one of the summonings one can maintain?

It is a game-breaker spell if not limited in one way or another, especially vs low/mid armor factions.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:31:48 AM »
The spell is not a Summoning, and will remain in place for game, if cast successfully.  Not so easy if the opposing force has a model with Eagle Eye to take out the Lotus Eater, or has fliers, or has units immune to fire like the Devout Wailers. 

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
This discussion is interesting and makes me wonder about this: beeing the ring of fire a SPELL, if my warband has magic resistance, should I try to resist it's fire effect when crossing it with this ability? This sounds something epic like the ring of Sigfried  :D. There's always a 50% of failing, but it's a chance for some army to deal with this spell.  ;) Imagine a battle of 1500 AP per amry between Helios elves and swamp goblins or sons of Kronos. Cast two rings of fire per turn, it will be ended in three rounds.  :(
Not like this if you put the right drum or horn on your warbands. Stated that it works as I'm supposing to... ::)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »
 I can see how this can drive someone crazy if the Lotus Eater successfully lays down multiple templates.

Offline Raga

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »
I had similar question and I was given this link:
http://www.chronopiaworld.com/artikel.php?id=2

There you can find a piece of text:
"Spells: Clarifications: Unless otherwise stated. All spells must target a model, they may not target a spot on the board. Chron pg. 133
Any continuing effect spells, such as Rings of Fire or Vortex, suffer the same limitation as summoning spells, i.e. you may only cast as many during the game as you have actions for one turn. So a Stygian Priestess could not cast Sandstorm more than four times in a single game. Spells that confer a bonus or extra action(s) to a unit are not cumulative. Multiple castings of the same spell will have no additional effect until the unit is no longer under the effects of the original spell. If a spell can be cast at varying levels it will state so in the spells description, otherwise the spells level is fixed...."

I believe this should also apply to second edition.
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall