Author Topic: big battles  (Read 5663 times)

Offline darkcry

big battles
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:47 AM »
Hi ! someone uses house rules for big battles to speed the game?

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: big battles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
I would suggest:

Time limit the game to a reasonable limit. It is hard to time limit an activation since there are different sized squads etc.

Setting a cap on the amount of turns played helps. Also clear objectives with a point system that can be added at the end of the allotted turn limit would work.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
Familiarity with the rules allows for quicker gameplay.  Agreement between players to not look at the rule book every time that there is a minor technicality.

Lastly, assume that mistakes and oversights will e made, and let the game play out.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »
maybe some already do this every time but only measure movement for one mini in the squad and just move all the rest in the same squad by sight and not by ruler.
also it makes a big difference in time if both players agree to and are willing to play a "skirmish" game as opposed to a "tactical" game, by which i mean both agree to take the offensive and not spend all their time calculating how best to move a squad and where in order to absolutely make sure you beat your opponent. if both players are willing to play risky and accept the consequences of a more likely miscalculation the game speeds up and can be funner. (in other words, fun over competition. you don't need to win every time.)

edit: i just realized i gave a wordier version of what dmcgee said above. but yeah hes right.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline Raga

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »
We always play scenarios.
- take and hold (strategic points) - forces you to gain ground as soon as possible
- defend the line (forces only one army to attack)
- retrieve the arifact (this forces to play really fast and to use units that usually avoid combat - rest of the army is for support)
- turn limit is also welcome
- limited visibility + shorter distance of deployment zones

Everything mentioned above will do any good if:

Familiarity with the rules allows for quicker gameplay.  Agreement between players to not look at the rule book every time that there is a minor technicality.

Arguments considering rules eat most of the time.
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:58:14 AM »
edit: i just realized i gave a wordier version of what dmcgee said above. but yeah hes right.

No worries - support for one another is why we are here!  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
A copy of a quick reference sheet, army list printed and available, and a copy of the FAQ helps a lot also.

You should laminate them like me.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.