Author Topic: why is there no copy of the rules on this site?  (Read 4911 times)

Offline master of muppets

why is there no copy of the rules on this site?
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »
well subjet title said it all really

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: why is there no copy of the rules on this site?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
The rules are copyrighted, and, therefore, are not posted here.

To post them here would be to cheat the author pf revenue.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question.

The author of UWZ maintains this site for those who play Warzone.  He does so of his own cost, and trusts that we will use it to keep the game alive and kicking.  To post the rules would beto release his work for free.  For anyone else to post the rules for public consumption would be a crime, literally.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline master of muppets

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »
well where i live newzealand
we pretty much just have 4ok
i use to go to a shop back in the 90s that sold warzone and chronopia books  but that shut down with the 90s{gws shop was down stairs and bought them out} the lot but uwz pretty much was a download only situation for me besides shouldent   people on this forum already have the books \

also it would be much easyier to point out rules and other stuff by just refering to the book on the site with links and such   rather than typing it out manualy

but fair point  i just thought it makes sense to have the rules on the forum that discusses the game, after all i own the only 1ed and 2ed books in my game club and everyone just uses them   is that not pretty much the same thing ?
and {not that i do } couldent poor players just use paper counter/legomen/anything instead of models ?

i dont want to get banned or anything cause i love warzone and have played it since it came out and have lots of models etc  a forum devoted to it is awesome

but i thought warzone was a fan based game anyway kept alive by lovers of the game rather then a availble in the shops game like gw 

stephan

Offline Lopis

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »

but fair point  i just thought it makes sense to have the rules on the forum that discusses the game, after all i own the only 1ed and 2ed books in my game club and everyone just uses them   is that not pretty much the same thing ?
and {not that i do } couldent poor players just use paper counter/legomen/anything instead of models ?

but i thought warzone was a fan based game anyway kept alive by lovers of the game rather then a availble in the shops game like gw 

stephan

Surely is it possible for you to let others look into your rightfully bought books. No problem with that. You got with your buying the right to use it.
But the owner of the copyright has exactly what it says : the rights on copies of his work....
So if the owner doesnīt waive his rights on his stuff, you would just make yourself liable. Compare it to napster and such.
Same would apply I think to the models themselves if you would start to manufacture new ones.

But thereīs nothing against using proxies / paper counters / legomen as you proposed.
Hey itīs for the fun. Just do it !
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »

stephan

I don't know if I would call it, "fan based."  The rules are the game, as one could proxy any miniature to their heart's content.  The rules may be purchased on eBay (rather inexpensively, compared to its original selling price).

That said, it is entirely possible to get answers from people like the FAQ Team, other members, etc.  We remain at your disposal, and will strive to clarify.  However, as a member of the FAQ Team, I am not the "end all, be all" authority.  I still refer to the suthor, and speak with him when I am unsure of intent, clarity or possible error.  Please, continue to use this site for such things.

While I, myself, have the 2ed. rules and the UWZ rules, I am not an authority on 1 ed.; however, there are many, here, who are.

In short, we abide by the person who is providing this site for us to use to continue to keep the game alive.  In doing so, we also agree to use it according o the rules and follow the law when it comes to copyrighted material.  It is the right thing to do.  It is out of respect for the owner and author of the rules, not to mention gratitude for the availability of the forums.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
Not so far from topic, but...

I know that the rights to the actual Warzone are owned by a company, and would not be easy to retrieve rights to.

But how close are we to taking the rulesets and publishing them?
Say, taking the rulesets and army lists (stripping out copywrited names) and having them for sale on Drivethru RPG as PDFs?
I know it would be a project of size, and would need approval from the ruleset's owner, but it could be done.
"Bring your best dice or bring a good brick." - Thom

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »
I am not at liberty to say how close it is to coming to pass.

I, myself, have done, and am still doing, some work for said eventuality.

Unfortunately, as with most things, real life intrusions upon time and resources makes any kind of deadline or speculation permature at best.

I know that everyone wants to see it happen, but I cannot make promises of any kind, at this time.