Author Topic: At-43 Question  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Horned God

At-43 Question
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
Think AT-43 has a scale that would fit with warzone minis on a table top battle? I don't own any AT-43 but thought about some of the models for it and was wondering if anyone had experience and owned both warzone and this other game or is familiar enough to know if they are compatible.

Also I want something like drop troopers. To me the models for the Banshees could fit that bill but I noticed the design has a similar jet pack as Space Marines in 40k. Other good battlesuit / drop trooper type options  might exits. I am trying to think outside the box so it doesn't have to be something like Space Marine Sternguard but these out of all 40k seem to work well if you say the jet pack is a drop trooper pack, instead of a fast attack Jump capable pack.

Anyone got thoughts on this. If you know if any good models list them. I know of the Interdict Marines for Metropolis's Vridians. I like those? List if you like those models (do they suit your taste). I also know I could use a model like the Red Guard. I like those models but they clearly look more like Jump Troopers. I wonder if you can stick 40k Space Marine jet packs on their back and the scale and look would not look strange? I know GW is massively overpriced but a sprue of plastic might help do what I'm trying to do.

I am trying to avoid spending a crap ton of money on GW. I would think if they do plastic minis they'd be about half the cost of metal but they charge 13.50 for one single metal Sternguard. One. If you buy them singly. Wow. I bet it costs about 2-3 dollars max to make a whole box of that plastic sprue stuff bits (or sorry "Bitz") But if models like that are among the only one that could fulfill the whole "I wear a suite and drop from low-orbit like Para-deploy troops and use jet packs to soften my landing' then so be it.

I actually thought about it. In real warfare, in the future they'll probably have unmanned drone type bots do that type of thing. But that is another thought, yet if followed other model choices open up.

Anyone own or like the other 40k models like the daemon hunters or grey knight models? I was basically thinking of using them as proxies for Banshees, and in the rules I'll be using (similar to a game like No Limits) they would be Drop Troopers instead of Jump capable models. I also didn't care so much about the heavy weapons.

If you are interested in a topic like this explore it and share your thoughts and link any models you know of.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: At-43 Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
AT-43 models look to be a very good fit for UWZ proxies.  I was actually looking at picking up a few myself to serve as proxies, but have become side-tracked by another big life changing event. 

Fantasy flight and a couple of other places were blowing out AT-43 figures for about 75% off last year.   You may still find the clearance stock on the FF website, and I think the War Room or Miniatures Market also had clearance stock.   

BTW, the Kerans - Apes, might make for a new home-brew faction.  They have power suits ala Vulkans, as well as normal infantry types.   

Hope this incomplete information helps!

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »
AT-43's figs will be skinnier than WZ, but they are great near-future figs.  The UNA Shock Troopers have jet packs.  There are some Vulkan proxies to be had, if you look.  The UNA Tacarms and the Red Blok Kolossus units are soldiers in powered suits, not Vulkan or Orca-sized machines.   The Therians could be a robotic proxy for DL troops.  They are too creepy for Cybertronic proxies.  The COGS units could be Starship Troopers Skinnies. 

As for price, FF has a sale on their overstock around Christmas.  Other than that, pick your favorite retailer and go for it.

Does this help you at all?
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Horned God

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:06 AM »
Yes it does. Thank you.

I suppose it can't hurt to ask. What is the rule system like for AT-43? I don't know anything about it. I assume it is a skirmish game where you activate a unit much like Warzone or is it more like a squad activation system like Void was? Just curious.

There are some appealing things about these pre-painted, resin/plastic models. For example, younger or more accident prone individuals I play with I would be more comfortable playing with them if they had these models. I played with a guy once and 3 times a model was knocked off the board onto the floor. I remember some rule that stated 'if the model leaves the table for any reason it is out of play'. That rule so would have been in effect that game.

If models weren't a paint to repair it would not be a big deal and thus why I like a rule like that. But these AT-43 minis seem perfect for avoiding any issues like that.

I suppose I'll check out to see if I can snag a box or two cheap.

Offline Warlord

• THE WAY IS FORWARD!
    • 28mm World War II Wargaming at its finest...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:57:25 AM »
Hello:

I have actually about a year ago pick up a great deal of the AT-43 items with the intent to use them in WZ.

I have done several conversions (when time premits) for our various factions. I use the Kolossus models and we call them Orca IIs (a heavier Orca unit). We had a bunch of the UNA Drop troopers and we repainted/ converted them to be Bauhaus "fallschirm" jagers which are your basic Jager except they Para deploy.

I will see if I can get pictures and such up for you to have a look at, we are playing a game this weekend for my B-Day and using a lot of the new items theye.

Warlord
www.precisionmodeldesigns.com
www.Battlemart.com