Author Topic: Assassinīs Shroud vs. Death Blow ( Mishima KI )  (Read 6684 times)

Offline Bagomba

• Journeyman
Assassinīs Shroud vs. Death Blow ( Mishima KI )
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
Hi,

just planed an army to kick my enemyīs down and read over the Mishima KIīs... thereīre two spells that make almost the same, Assassinsīs Shroud and Death Blow ( Page 319 ) One giveīs the Caster +3 Dam until end of turn and the other decrases the Armor by 3 and had no effects on Vehicles ( and harder to cast )
Why should i take Assassinīs Shroud, only because itīs one point cheaper or is there an Advantage i donīt see, maybe last for 2 turns or something like that... ;)

thx

Bagomba
They are in front of me, beside and behind me....
They canīt escape
ATTTAAACK !!!!!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Assassinīs Shroud vs. Death Blow ( Mishima KI )
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:24:35 AM »
One is for use in Close Combat only; the other works at range.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Bagomba

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:58:51 AM »
No, they both are for use in CC ( see headline of black temple KI ).... but death blow can be cast before... another reason why i will always choose Death Blow....
They are in front of me, beside and behind me....
They canīt escape
ATTTAAACK !!!!!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
No, they both are for use in CC

You are correct - my mistake.  Your argument is not wothout merit.  I will have to think on this some more and have a better answer.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »
Death Blow is against ANY foe in CC this turn, by this model. Assasin's Shroud is against ONE target, but, though not listed, should last til the end of the turn, or next activated, or something, so that anyone else targeting this model ALSO get the reduced armor bonus.

Just my $0.02.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »
I am going to disagree with you, here, Dodge.

You are reading, "its foes," incorrectly.  Both Ki's are Range: Self, therefore, only apply to the Channeler - not to other models.

That said, my next statement is pure conjecture (mixed witha  slice of opinion): I think that this is a typo based upon Second Edition where a model could strike back at models when attacked.  In UWZ, a model may only attack, ever, while activated.  In Second Edition, a model could attack in CC every single time it was attacked by another model in CC with it.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.  Play it as it reads unless FAQ'd, later.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:31:45 AM »
Play it as it reads unless FAQ'd, later.

This has been answered.  Reading, "unless FAQ'd, later," as, "This is not yet resolved," is similar to saying, "This game will never evolve past 1st Ed., unless thre is a 2nd ed. or a complete re-write, or is discussed ad infinitum in the forums until I read an answer with which I agree."

Forgive my snarkiness, but I cannot clarify, further.  I added the "unless FAQ'd, later" disclaimer as a way of saying that it is entirely possible that this might change at some future date based upon user input and designers' intent.