Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162187 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
I'm painting 18 Blackblood Goblin Spearmen.  I mean it.   :(

I love how all of those models are stacked in foam like that.  I've been wanting to do that for some time.  Need to get some trays!!!

Can't wait to see the Wolf Clan painted.  Mine are, but they're not brilliant.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »
Having a bit of trouble getting started...hard to find a block of time to work on minis.

Started to base some Stygian, but struggling with making a realistic looking sandy desert base.  Tried using some woodland scenics "fine" ballast -- but it looks too rocky.  Going for more of a "sandy" look with some scattered rocks.  any suggestions?  Thinking of grabbing some actual sand from the local beach.

Also, any suggestions on a proxy for the Wolf Totem?  Lots of Cerberus-type minis out there that look good, but they have 3 heads instead of 2.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
In a stunning development, I am ALMOST ready to start painting!

I've based and primed a Stygian Axeman!  It's on my painting table!  My paints and brushes are out and within reach!  Will the madness ever end?!!?!?!?

Trying for a sandy desert look with the base, with a couple scattered rocks.  Ended up mixing 4 parts potting sand from Michael's with 1 part fine woodland scenic ballast.  Ballast alone was too rough.  Sand alone was too smooth.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
Looking good.  I need to take some pics with some sunlight.  I actually have some WIPs to show.  Your Dwarf like progress is faster than mine.   ???

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2011, 05:14:54 AM »
Finally got some time the other day to slap some paint on this guy.  Trying to go simple with a limited number of colors.  Went really fast so its a little sloppy in areas.  Using citadel washes on almost the whole mini to speed in shading.  Taking inspiration from VK's stygian, I'm going grey/black for most of my army...all the grunt troops and probably the Great Warrior.  All other INDs will have different colored skin.  So this is my "prototype" grunt.  Different grunts will be differentiated by armor color.  Like this picture shows, my Axemen will have a red theme.  Desert bases for all...although I think this one looks a little bland.  I painted the 2 small rocks the same color as the sand...I Think I might have to darken them to make them stand out.  Also will add sparse greenery after sealing.

So once I have this prototype nailed down, I hope to do assembly-line work and crank out a bunch of these relatively fast.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
 Very nice choice of colours and the base came out really well too.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
I am totally digging the paint scheme.  The washes really add to the model and as far as the bases of your models...I wished I had went for a "lighter" sand look rather than the dark one I chose. 

Well done!
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2011, 03:41:48 AM »
Wow, I  am loving the scheme.

Makes me feel like there is a rival Ziggurat in town and my Stygian want to get fighting.
People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »
I blink and two weeks fly by.  Finished prototype #1 by cleaning up the base, and adding just a smattering of greenery struggling up through the desert sand.  This guy is done!

Next up, one more prototype before I start up the assembly line.  A lone reaper:

And here is the rest of the Stygian Horde.  I'm going to take a different approach than I usually do.  Going deflash, base, and prime the whole dang collection first.  Then I can pick up and paint any figure I want at any time.

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2011, 03:12:33 AM »
I am quite envious that you have 2 Priestess and a Sand Crawler.

Looking forward to following the Stygian progress.
People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
Oh boy.

Been a LONG time since I've made any progress. 

So...I'm trying to kickstart the painting again.   Got all the stygian staged on my painting table. 

Going to try to go the mass production route.  And develop a step-by-step plan so I feel some sort of progress.  Here's my plan:

0)  Glue everything....YAY I am done with this step already!!!
1)  Review my collection. Decide if there are any that simply don't need to get painted.  For example, I probably don't need 3 painted great warriors.
2)  Go through each remaining mini -- de-flash, re-base, and modify as needed.  For example, those blasted Excelsior spearmen always tip over. 
3)  Base them ALL.  This means adding desert-like sand to the bases that need it, and a smattering of rocky terrain
4)  Prime them ALL
5)  Design a 1000-point army that I would like to play
6)  Pick one warband from that army....paint ALL the minis I have of that warband that survived step 1.
7)  Sit back and enjoy!
8]  Develop a plan for additional painting

My analytical mind likes seeing those steps actually written down....lets see if that gets my miniature production back into gear!

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »
Some good goals there.

I found my painting went by much quicker when I began using a bigger brush.

Currently the majority of my Stygian are primed with the base colour added.

If you are having trouble getting them painted, then I reccomend using a bigger brush.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
STEP 1:

After reviewing my collection, I've come to a conclusion that I probably subconsciously already knew...I don't like the newer (Excelsior?) sculpts for the grunt troops -- the various warriors and the starved.  I like the more basic/raw look of the original minis.  Eliminating the newer sculpts also makes my army look a lot more uniform.  It also reduces the total number of poses I need to paint, making the assembly line work much easier.

So that eliminates:
4 spearmen
2 axemen
8 swordmen
8 starved

Other than that, I think I will be basing and priming everything else.  I thought about eliminating one of my 3 great warriors, but I need to build new bases for them (hate the skinny base).  so if I'm going to build 2 bases, its just as easy to build 3.

That leaves me with the following:
1 Sisters of Tiamat
1 Ophidian
1 Big Crawler Worm dude (from 2nd edition????)
1 Venom Spawn
1 Guardian
1 Embalmed
2 Tree Devils
2 Priestesses
1 Hammerhead
1 Flayer
3 Great Warriors
4 spearmen
8 Axemen (1 already painted)
4 swordsmen
10 drugged
8 reapers
16 starved

Cutting out the excelsior sculpts leaves me a little thin with swords and spears.  Anyone got some laying around they'd like to part with for a reasonable price?
(For that matter, anyone want/needs some of the Excelsior versions....I'd be willing to part with some of them)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »
I'll be honest, I like the non EE sculpts better too.  If I had any to spare I could work it out.  I'm still getting my Stygian together.

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »
I'll be honest, I like the non EE sculpts better too.  If I had any to spare I could work it out.  I'm still getting my Stygian together.

Yeah... at first the EE sculpts seem more detailed, but on closer inspection they are not. They also suffer from scale creep, and their poses are less reptillian.

The standing poses are nice, as it makes them stand out as something different to the rest of the swarm, but there seems to be something about the casting process that made the EE sculpts seem flat compared the the non-EE sculpts. One swordsman in particular looks especially bad.

I like the EE Starved though... if only they were smaller!