Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162887 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »
Firethrower looks great.  I've found it to be devastating in game on a good day.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
It's been slow going as I haven't spent much time at the painting table, but here is the completed Kutara Lancer.  I think if I did it over again I'd shy away from yellow and blue on the mount's adornments and go with more neutral colors.  I think the figure overall looks just a tiny bit "clowny" with all that yellow and blue combined with the blue and gold on the rider.  Some parts of it are a little sloppy but I was really struggling to get this guy done -- and I'm glad he's part of my painted army now!  I'm pretty happy with the Kutara's skin (which was done a couple years back when I first started this guy!)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:31:30 PM by Daargrim »

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
Good job Daargrim!

I actually like it a lot better than the paint job on mine.

I know what you mean about the "clowny" look of bright colors but I think you pulled this one off really well, as the difference in the yellow tones of the Kutra's hide and the saddle skirt is just enough.

Well done and congrats on adding another figure to your painted force.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
 Very nice painting.The colours work really well.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
Great work! I really like the colors.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline MassDistortion

« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »
I love the colour scheme and the shading :D

I find it fairly realistic looking

Offline Krate

• Journeyman
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
Wow! :o  That Lancer looks great from the colors right down to the base. Great job!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »
Very nice!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline insan0

« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
I've been eyeing up my dwarfs in preparation of painting them and I like your use of dark grey 'plate' armor on many of the dwarfs.
I will give it a try on my dwarfs to give them some alternate colour, otherwise they will all be silver blobs after I dip/wash them.

I like the bright colours on your blackbloods, plays well with the eastern theme they have.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
*bump*

Where are you at?  I am in need of some inspiration!  *shakes paint brush*     ;)           :D

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2010, 07:27:55 AM »
Hey VK -

Been way too busy to post, let alone paint...unfortunately (getting a house built, cars dying on us, kids schedules, now the holidays, and so on).  I had to move from one temporary house to another (smaller) temporary house back in August.  Have very little painting room and half my supplies are in a 20'x20' storage unit (along with most of our family's belongings).  Should be moving into our house in January and hope to fire up some painting again.  At minimum, I can get all my stuff out again which in itself will be a victory.  Until then, I'm just putzing a bit -- gluing together some figures and building foam storage shelves for them.

*bump*

Where are you at?  I am in need of some inspiration!  *shakes paint brush*     ;)           :D

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
Oh wow, you have been busy.  Well I hope things fall in line for you guys and runs smoothly for your new house.  Man, I know exactly what you mean about car trouble.  I don't care for being stuck along the highway ever again in my lifetime.  I eagerly await January for you to break out those paints and brushes as I'm sure your "troops" are like mine and are looking forward to being reinforced.

Here' s to some Happy Holidays for you and yours in the coming month.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:49 PM »
Dig.  My models are assembled and primed.  Trouble is, I keep assembling and priming more, and not gettin' to the paint!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2011, 06:56:10 AM »
I'm BACK!

sort of.

It's been a while since my last "real" update back in June.  Time flies.  During that time I've moved twice, finished having a house built, had one car die, bought another one, survived the holidays, and everything else that life throws at you to steal away hobby time.

So what I have been able to with the little time (and lack of real painting area) is to work on assembling some models, building miniature storage, and eventually setting up my hobby area in my new house.  I don't have any more painting pictures to share, but here's a handful of other shots.

Many years ago my buddy came up with his version of portable miniature cases.  They are boxes made of plywood, with shelves that slide out.  Each shelf is a piece of plexiglass that slides in and out on grooves cut into the interior sides of the box.  There is also a groove in the interior back side to help with any "sagging" that occurs.  A larger piece of plexi slides onto the front of the case "closling" the box.  Each plexiglass shelf holds a rectangular piece of foam of appropriate thickness.  The foam is then cut by hand to hold specific miniatures.  This is the most time-consuming part.  But the end result is a custom case/shelves that can be swapped in and out as needed. 

Picture shows my 5 cases.  The two reds were the prototypes, and the 3 black ones are my main cases.  Right now the black cases are holding about 60% of my Chronopia figure collection, and the rest of them are in a rubbermaid bin.

Most of my assembling work lately was piecing together my Firstborn.  Here they are lying out on foam shelves in preparation of some foam-cutting sessions.

My plan for this summer is to build a large storage shelf that is on wheels.  Basically a taller version of the individual cases that wont be portable....probably about the size of 3 portable cases on top of one another.  Then I'd use the existing cases for transporting to games.  But that project will wait until the weather warms up, and I get my saws back (they are patiently waiting for me at my mom's garage 2 hours away!)

Here I'm working on cleaning up some rare wolf clan dwarves I picked up from Josh last summer, getting them ready for appropriate storage:

FINALLY in our new house, I built a light-duty workbench in the utility area.  The perfect place for miniature assembly!

In the last couple weeks, been working on assembling some larger minis:

A second Horned Totem, so my first one has a buddy:

Stygian crawler (side note: I only play 1st ed, I don't think this mini as built was in 1st ed....any 2nd edition players want to clue me in?)

A few other odds-n-ends that needed to be glued and/or need foam storage...including some wacky looking birds from Alaska...

A Goblin chariot that has needed assembly and storage for several years:

Trying to decide what is going to go onto the painting table next. I"d really like to start a new faction (probably stygian).  But I'm really tempted to grind out all the Dwarf Totems first.  And if I did, I would paint two of each.  I don't have all of them.  I need to proxy the Wolf totems, and pick up another Hordes "Lug and Cragback" which I'm using for the Bloodbone totem.  But for now I'm easing my way back into the hobby.  Still have lots of unpacking to do, family vacation coming up, other stuff to keep me busy.

Including cheering my UMD Bulldogs at the NCAA Frozen Four! (any college hockey fans in here?  Didn't think so....)

Until next time,

Daargrim

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
 Nice to see you back.Love all the miniatures you have ready to go too.