Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162236 times)

Offline Daargrim

Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
Well, you guys convinced me...the shields were good "as-is". And once I got the figures completely based and on the game table amongst other dwarves, they looked great!  Thanks for all the comments!

Next up, what will probably be my "grand finale" of my current painting binge....the firethrower team:

This will complete the following 1000-point dwarf army that I hope to get on the table soon:
1 fire thrower team
6 Flayers + 1 leader
1 Dark Tusk Hero
6 Axe-Horn warriors + leader
1 War Totem + 2 Totem warriors
1 Impaler

This crew is way short on infantry-type groups...but when we play we usually have 2 players each side, each with 1000 points, so I'll have to get my buddy to put a lot of grunts on the table when I break out this army.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
Those figs turned out really clean looking.  Well done!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
Great job! Looking forward to the flame throwers.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2010, 07:31:40 AM »
Dwarf Fire thrower team is complete!  Went with a "dirty" yellow for the main color here.  Just to try something new, and to differentiate this team from my main dwarf clan color schemes.  Under direct light, I think it looks a bit too bright, but on the game table the color is muted a bit and I think it looks good.  Added some green color on the nozzle, and on some of the rocks to try and simulate the fiery goop that comes out of the gun.  I'm guessing neatness wasn't a priority when the dwarf engineers designed this weapon...

My son continues to nurture his new found Chronopia obsession.  He built a Lego dwarven fortress and stocked it with dwarves to defend against a combined Elf and Blackblood assault:

So, with the finishing of the fire thrower team, I am officially ready for my gaming weekend next weekend.  This also means the pace will slow.  I have been using pretty much every free minute I had painting, resulting in quite a bit added to my painted collection.  Looking forward to getting back to some other things in life, while keeping painting up at a more reasonable pace.  I have a half-painted kutara lancer sitting "on deck" that I figured would be a good easy next project.  Then I will probably turn my attention to the Stygian.

I will get some pictures together soon of my entire Dwarf and Blackblood force in the next couple weeks or so.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Bravo and well done!  If anyone has deserved a break from painting for a little while it's gotta be you.  Though, I admit, I hope it's not too long of a break.

I dig the paint job on the fire thrower team and the green "stuff" that it shoots was done really well and added a different "twist" to the visions I had for it...in a good way of coarse.  I love getting different ideas from others and this is one I can use somewhere in my future painting binges.

The castle is great and I couldn't help but chuckle to myself saying, "That's so cool."  I hope we can see some future battle reports involving it.

Good job all around!
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
 Nice additions to the force.

Looks like your son is getting in on the act too.Very cool castle.

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
who's got the cutest little drwaven castle in all of chronopia you do yes you do...lol.  Nice work by your son!  The painting looks nice too.
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »
Great job on the fire team. Like the castle also. Talent seems to run in the family.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
I am really liking your work, I have never really liked the idea of bright blue dwarves, but you seemed to have made it work with the BB Legion.
People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Well its been a month now since I had any updates.  During that time I was actually able to get some gaming in (sorry no pics).  It's nice to see some friends, drink some beers, and get the painted troops into a real battle.  Been using my free time to tend to some other stuff, but I've got my painting area set up again to slowly easy back into some painting, and at a less frantic pace.

First off I'm going to finally complete a Kutara lancer I started years ago.  Here's a pic of my starting point:

Shouldn't take too long...the most difficult part (the Kutara's skin) is already done.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2010, 02:20:50 AM »
 What colour did you use on the skin and did you use inks/washes too?

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2010, 05:40:33 AM »
What colour did you use on the skin and did you use inks/washes too?

I just happen to have my notes from when I first started this guy a couple years back.  No inks or washes on the skin.  Just a basecoat of Vallejo English Uniform and highlighted with Vallejo Green-Brown.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2010, 08:13:34 AM »
I am looking forward to the completed model. Are you going to add washes to the paint work?
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
I am looking forward to the completed model. Are you going to add washes to the paint work?

Actually, after I posted the pic, I re-painted the blue and yellow cloth the exact same way I did my orc swordsmen earlier in this thread.  Didn't come out as good I don't think.  oh well.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2010, 03:13:14 PM »
Hang in there Daargrim, this model has a lot of "open" surfaces that have no detail.  I found it a difficult model to "color-coordinate" as I painted it.  Try to look for interesting designs around the house such as on furniture, wall paper, and other such things and maybe you could find something inspiring to put on those open spaces.

I actually got the design for the green saddle cloth with the diamonds from the computer game "Rome Total War".  I kinda copied (sort of) the design from the Parthian Spearmen.  If you have not played that game, you should try it if you ever get the chance.  It can get addicting and cut into painting time if your not careful.   ;)
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)