Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162203 times)

Offline Daargrim

Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »
DANG Daarrgrim!!!!!

That is "putting the hammer down" on painting models quickly.  Bravo good man!

Yep I've never painted so many minis in such a short span of time.  It was just a magical combination of available time, my back clearing up, and probably starting this log.  All good things will come to an end though, and I suspect the pace will slow soon as I have been putting off some "real life" to-dos to keep this pace up.  But I've definitely got the bug again and its nice being back in the hobby.

What type of glue/adhesive do you use to hold down your figures to the little plastic card when you paint?

Just a dot or two of zap-a-gap.  Enough to hold, but not too hard to pop them off.  those plastic cards are just extra dividers from one of those clear plastic craft cases.  While I am painting I like to hold the front corner of the divider, and let the back edge rest on the table.  Easier for me to keep the mini steady while I paint.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »
DANG Daarrgrim!!!!!

That is "putting the hammer down" on painting models quickly.  Bravo good man!

Yep I've never painted so many minis in such a short span of time.  It was just a magical combination of available time, my back clearing up, and probably starting this log.  All good things will come to an end though, and I suspect the pace will slow soon as I have been putting off some "real life" to-dos to keep this pace up.  But I've definitely got the bug again and its nice being back in the hobby.

What type of glue/adhesive do you use to hold down your figures to the little plastic card when you paint?

Just a dot or two of zap-a-gap.  Enough to hold, but not too hard to pop them off.  those plastic cards are just extra dividers from one of those clear plastic craft cases.  While I am painting I like to hold the front corner of the divider, and let the back edge rest on the table.  Easier for me to keep the mini steady while I paint.

I really like this idea (using clear plastic dividers) I will have to try it. I usually use popsickle sticks (hobby sticks) and never tried the plastic dividers.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
So I'm painting my clawsmen...my first-ever bloodbones.  I wanted to use a blue scheme but I struggled a little bit with shade.  I ended up using a dusty blue mixed with some metalic medium and did selected pieces of armor.  Not sure what I think about this so far:

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »
 Looking good so far.You are going at a very fast pace with all of the miniatures.Might have to send some of mine over for you to paint up  ;D.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
The Excelsior Goblin Spearmen were okay, and I have them, but just primed.  I haven't figured out the scheme yet.  Your Goblin spearmen are off the hook!!!!

Best fleshtones I've seen and I'm so proud that you didn't go green on their skin!!  I know some people dig it, but I just don't picture the Blackbloods with green skin like other Orcs and such out there.

Kings to you.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »
Looking good so far.You are going at a very fast pace with all of the miniatures.Might have to send some of mine over for you to paint up  ;D.

Thanks for the compliment...but I think I'm going to have to scrap this specific scheme.  I let them sit all afternoon and I just don't like where this is headed.  It just looks like baby blue colors from a kids nursery.  And since I am setting the standard for all my all my blood bones, I have to find something I am happy with.  What stinks is that I've already done 6 of these guys almost as far as the one pictured (including the shields!)

I think I am going to go with a darker blue for a "clan" color scheme, and maybe have it be a compliment to a more metallic armor color..either a dark silver or maybe a brass would be a good contrast with the blue.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:02:08 PM by Daargrim »

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »
What about washing them with blue ink a bit thicker than normal?
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »
Call me weird, but what do you think about painting their armor a "bone/white" color?  You could leave the armor on the stomach red, trim the shields in gold with the "claw marks" the same red as the stomach on top of a "bone/white" field/shield.

I don't know about the chain mail color...  :-\ ... gold maybe?  If anyone was to have gold chain mail, it would be a Dwarf.  And in my mind the paint scheme would fit the Bloodbone Dwarves.  It would look kinda (in my mind) "elite" as if they were the best of the best.

You know, you gotta believe your one bad "mutha" to go onto a battlefield with numerous armored enemies armed only with a claw and a shield.  I mean that kind of "badness" reminds me of the great...

"To be tha Man, you gotta beat tha Man, and brotha...you ain't tha man." -RICK FLAIR

:o
WWWWWOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2010, 05:46:21 AM »
Call me weird, but what do you think about painting their armor a "bone/white" color?  You could leave the armor on the stomach red, trim the shields in gold with the "claw marks" the same red as the stomach on top of a "bone/white" field/shield.

I don't know about the chain mail color...  :-\ ... gold maybe?  If anyone was to have gold chain mail, it would be a Dwarf.  And in my mind the paint scheme would fit the Bloodbone Dwarves.  It would look kinda (in my mind) "elite" as if they were the best of the best.

You know, you gotta believe your one bad "mutha" to go onto a battlefield with numerous armored enemies armed only with a claw and a shield.  I mean that kind of "badness" reminds me of the great...

"To be tha Man, you gotta beat tha Man, and brotha...you ain't tha man." -RICK FLAIR

:o
WWWWWOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not a bad idea.  I think I'm going to try another scheme first...but I might save some of these thoughts for the wolf clan whenever I get around to those.  a "black and white" scheme.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Here's the new direction I'm going with the clawsmen...dark blue and brass accents around metallic armor.  shield gets an off-white background.  I like this better although perhaps the shield looks a bit "cartoony" compared to rest of figure, but it was hard finding a background where the blue claw symbol would show up.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Much more pop.  Did Von Koss Rick Roll us....??   :P
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
All right, I am at the Dullcoat stage for these Clawsmen and I am pretty happy how they turned out.  But some small part of me still doesn't like the shields as much as I would hope.  They just seem to cartoony/clean/bright when compared to the rest of the model, and to my other painted chronopia figures.  One of my iterations I did try to throw a wash on the shields but it just made the grayish-white look sloppy.

I don't think I am going to try anything else (I really really REALLY don't want to free hand paint any more blood bone symbols), but I thought I would throw a picture or 2 up and see what others think.  what do you say, forum friends...should I try something different with the shields, or call it a day on these little potbellied terrors?

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
1)  The black-lining on the figures is very well done.  The blades on the gauntlet and shield design are very "crisp".

2)  The eyes are better than anything I can do.  A++ on the effort, it must have been time consuming.

I think they look great and besides, give yourself time with the paint scheme.  I went back and looked at the previous models you have posted in your log and it appears that this is the first time you have used a silver for chain mail and armor on Dwarf models.  That alone is different enough from the gray/iron look of the Mallet Warriors and might make you feel as if something is a little off.  

But it is a great job...and...it's different.  Not to mention that the white on the shields kinda "balances" the figure(s) with their bright blades and the color of the stones on the base.  The blue lining on the stomach armor would not be enough color (in my opinion) and needs a little more blue "umph" to the overall scheme that the shield provides.

Barring all my other comments the only thing I can think of that would give you a little more "grit/darker feel" would be to paint the claw marks on the shield black.  Just my two cents.

@ Josh-   Some of the Chronopia fluff along with it's respective models demand a "Rick Roll" and I feel obligated to do so when they get a good paint job...and the fact that I "Rick Roll" so much ...I do it in my sleep. :D  Sad, I know.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:52:00 PM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
The shields really stand out for me. Great job on the figures. I really like the plastic piece you use to hold the figures while you paint them.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
 Great additions to your growing Dwarf army.