Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162197 times)

Offline Daargrim

Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
I have been inspired by others to create my own project log.  Don't expect updates to happen very often, as my painting pace is fairly slow.  This is thanks to kids, a bad back, and in general "life" getting in the way of painting.  But I have really enjoyed checking out other posts on this site over the years so I felt compelled to start my own project log.

My current focus is on a specific Dwarven army.  I am trying to get "battle ready" the following first edition 1000-point army:
1 Fire thrower team
1 Keeper
2 (x4) units Vulture Crossbows
2 (x4) units Vulture Mallet Warriors
1 Vulture Marksman
1 Vulture Impaler
1 Vulture Talon Lord
1 Vulture Totem

I already have the crossbows and Impaler painted (see the Dwarf gallery thread).  One of the buddies I play with has the fire thrower team and a Keeper painted.  That leaves the Mallet Warriors, Marksman, Talon Lord, and Totem left.

My current project is the Talon Lord.  I just started, and the going is slow.  My back has been giving me trouble so I can only paint maybe 15 minutes at a time.  But here is the progress so far.  It has the same Vulture "green" theme that I established with my Crossbowmen.

Offline Von Koss

Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:16:49 AM »
Very nice Daargrim!  I'm glad to see a project log from you as your painting skills are very good.  I've noticed that you are a very "clean" painter.  Either you make no mistakes in splashing paint onto other areas of the model(s) or you go back with the previous color to cover up the splashes.  I wish I had that kinda patience.  Nice quality pic as well.

Two thumbs up and count me as "subscribed" to your log.

<between yours, Miner's and Cirith's log I'm gonna have a melt down in trying to decide what to paint next, as I'm not ashamed in painting the same army along with another Forum member...it's just too much good inspiration all at the same time>
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:33:31 PM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:43:35 AM »
 Nice to see more of your painting.

Sorry to hear about your bad back.

What are you going to use as the Vulture Totem then?

I hope to do a bit more today.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:35:26 AM »
Very nice Daargrim!  I glad to see a project log from you as your painting skills are very good.  I've noticed that you are a very "clean" painter.  Either you make no mistakes in splashing paint onto other areas of the model(s) or you go back with the previous color to cover up the splashes.  I wish I had that kinda patience.  Nice quality pic as well.

My style is "slow and steady" to minimize going back and correcting.  That's just what works for me.  Its a slow process though.  I've tried to change up my style to speed up the process but I haven't liked my results.  Of course I have some corrections to do as I go along but I tend to be a careful painter.  To speed things up I've tried to be less particular about tiny details and perfect shading, especially in areas that are hard to even see.  But I'm always trying to think of ways to speed the process up.  I've got WAY too many figures waiting for paint.

<between yours, Miner's and Cirith's log I'm gonna have a melt down in trying to decide what to paint next, as I'm not ashamed in painting the same army along with another Forum member...it's just too much good inspiration all at the same time>

Once upon a time you said you were going to replicate my War Totem...where is that slotted in the 2010 production schedule?  ;D

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:40:39 AM »
What are you going to use as the Vulture Totem then?

I'm going to use Reaper's Axe Beak:
http://www.reapermini.com/pages/figure_finder_image.php?sku=03092_G.jpg&image=3

Its about the right size, and fits the description (again, 1st edition rules is what I go off of).  I'll make the base bigger, and maybe dress it up with some armor and stuff.  I don't particularly like its "look" (I don't think it looks very "Chronopia-ish") but I already own 2 of them and they fit the bill well enough.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:17:06 AM »
Love's me the Chronopia Dwarf armies.  Count me in as interested.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
 Alex Bates on the forum has a miniature that is coming out soonish that will be most usefull for the Vulture Totem.

Where are your Dwarf miniatures Josh?Come on let us see them  ;D.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
"Once upon a time you said you were going to replicate my War Totem...where is that slotted in the 2010 production schedule?  Grin"

Oh goodness...I believe I just got called out... :P    ;D     :D

I can't say I did not deserve it though.  I admit my mind wanders quite often when it comes to Chronopia.  I just enjoy the fluff so much that it makes it hard to focus on just one project at a time.  I do plan on following your step by step for the War Totem some time soon...I need to track down all the parts because if I have to stop midway, well, like I said my mind wanders :-\ .

But on a side note: I'm planning a little something special for my one year project log anniversary on Jan. 27th and it is next on my agenda so be sure to stop by. 

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »
I really like your Dwarves in the Army Gallery, and I am looking forward to seeing how the Talon Lord turns out.

People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:55:37 AM »
Say, speaking of proxies, I'm trying to decide what I am going to use for my Marksman.  I'd rather find a figure ready-to-go but I'd consider doing a conversion as well.

Right now my top choice is this Reaper mini, but looking for any other ideas.  I think it looks OK...don't like the stereotypical dwarf mug hanging from the hip (not very Chronopia-like).
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03371

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »
"Once upon a time you said you were going to replicate my War Totem...where is that slotted in the 2010 production schedule?  Grin"

Oh goodness...I believe I just got called out... :P    ;D     :D

:) Not really a "call out"...just a friendly, selfish "nudge"!  I'd love to see someone else's take on that figure.

Quote from: Von Koss
But on a side note: I'm planning a little something special for my one year project log anniversary on Jan. 27th and it is next on my agenda so be sure to stop by. 

:o  :o  :o
Marking it on my calendar!!!

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:35:31 AM »
Alex Bates on the forum has a miniature that is coming out soonish that will be most usefull for the Vulture Totem.

Where are your Dwarf miniatures Josh?Come on let us see them  ;D.

:o WHOA!  :o

I'm assuming you are talking about the bird in this post:
http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,5205.msg45432.html#msg45432

Alex, if you are reading this, I'd love to get my hands on two of those birds...they look great!  What's the word on their availability?

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:37:51 AM »
Alex, I wanna know as well.  I got some "Bird Boys" that need a Totem.  Lay on the update. ;D

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
 Yep that is the bird in question.I will be after a few also.

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »
Um... best I can do is "soon".  I've been posting updates to my Forge of Ice thread/blog, but long story short I've had some very sick family & gotten involved in their care, and so I recently moved.  All of my miniatures stuff had been pushed aside, but I'm finally getting settled again.

So... um... soon?  It'll be in the next batch of greens that I send to the caster, and I should be able to send them in a month or so.

I suppose I could do pre-orders if people want to pay for them in advance, that would speed up the process somewhat.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!