Author Topic: Talamania info?  (Read 41918 times)

Offline Doompup

Talamania info?
« on: January 13, 2010, 06:47:54 PM »
Hope this is in the right place. I read the Talamania IV thread, but was actually looking for info about Talamania (other than the tentative date). I gather that it is a convention for Warzone/Chronopia gaming, and I think it is in the Philadelphia area (?). It sounds like a lot of fun. I've recently returned to Warzone after a 10 year hiatus (I used to play under 1st edition rules).
Some things I'd like to know about Talamania:
1. Location
2. Is it like a regular gaming convention (ie vendors, admission fee, etc), or more a gathering of players for a fun gaming weekend?
3. Is there a beginner's table/events; so I could ease my way back into the game, possibly with assistance of more experienced player(s)?
Thanks in advance for the info to whomever responds.

Doompup

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Talamania info?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
It is a gathering of players from this forum. Held in the Philly area. There is no charge or venders. Those travaling from afar are given crash space where available. It's a fun weekend of gaming. We play at all levels of ability and there is always someone willing to ease you back into the game. ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:20:30 AM »
You forgot to mention how much fun is to be had, Phil.  Did you paint those Swamp Goblin Spearmen yet?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Only partially I haven't been in paint mode lately. And yes there is alot of fun to be had gaming against fellow forum members local and afar.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:13 AM »
Hope this is in the right place. I read the Talamania IV thread, but was actually looking for info about Talamania (other than the tentative date). I gather that it is a convention for Warzone/Chronopia gaming, and I think it is in the Philadelphia area (?). It sounds like a lot of fun. I've recently returned to Warzone after a 10 year hiatus (I used to play under 1st edition rules).
Some things I'd like to know about Talamania:
1. Location
2. Is it like a regular gaming convention (ie vendors, admission fee, etc), or more a gathering of players for a fun gaming weekend?
3. Is there a beginner's table/events; so I could ease my way back into the game, possibly with assistance of more experienced player(s)?
Thanks in advance for the info to whomever responds.

Doompup

Great answers everyone - here is my take:
1. So far every year - Dave's house. It may grow too large and new accomodations may be needed. As of right now (Dave correct me if I am wrong) it will be at Dave's house.
2. Is is regularly every spring so far (this will be the fourth one). No vendors yet but alot of figure trading, take out ordering etc. No admission fee - people usually bring stuff to share (food, drink, figures etc). It is a gaming weekend that involves people who play Warzone/Chronopia as a base. Many other games are played during the weekend with a concentration on (but not limited to) Warzone/Chronopia.
3. No beginner's table is needed IMHO. Everyone just wants to have a good time. Most (if not all at Talamania) would be more than happy to assist in helping you back into the game.

OK some for you:

How far from Philly are you?
What do you play Warzone/Chronopia and what armies?
What figures do you need?

Hope to see you there.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:14:39 AM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Doompup

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:48 PM »
1. So far every year - Dave's house. It may grow too large and new accomodations may be needed. As of right now (Dave correct me if I am wrong) it will be at Dave's house.
2. Is is regularly every spring so far (this will be the fourth one). No vendors yet but alot of figure trading, take out ordering etc. No admission fee - people usually bring stuff to share (food, drink, figures etc). It is a gaming weekend that involves people who play Warzone/Chronopia as a base. Many other games are played during the weekend with a concentration on (but not limited to) Warzone/Chronopia.
3. No beginner's table is needed IMHO. Everyone just wants to have a good time. Most (if not all at Talamania) would be more than happy to assist in helping you back into the game.

OK some for you:

Hope to see you there.

Thanks for all of the info. It sounds like fun - I hope to make it this year (as long as I don't have to get a formal invitation; I'd hate to impose on Dave).
As for your questions:

I'm probably 5 1/2 hours from Philly, but have been there and the surrounding areas several times, so somewhat familiar with it. I don't mind the trip.
I play Warzone/Capitol. I'm working on building my force up.
As for figures, currently I'm looking for the old style Capitol Hvy infantry (football helmets) with Hvy weapons x2 (to go with my old school infantry squad); Desert Scorpions Sgt. and Hero/tank-hunter; Capitol Rangers of any variety. I don't have a whole lot of Warzone or Chronopia to trade, but I do have minis from other games (Heroclix, Star Wars Minis, Starship Troopers, Infinity, others); I'm also always willing to buy my wants for reasonable prices.

Thanks again everyone. I am looking forward to participating in Talamania this year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:25:52 PM by Doompup »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »
Topkick and Dennis drove all the way from Illinois for the first one, Wedge flew in from Cali, and Coil flies in from Sweden!!

You don't sound remotely like the type of person who could impose upon Dave, and I'm sure he'll chime in to offer directions and the like.  He routinely drives to the airport and train station to pick people up to play this event. 

I've physically met more people from all over through these forums than I have from the Reaper forums, and they have loads of traffic.  This community is second to none.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
Topkick and DM will also be driving in for this one - Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:25:04 AM »
This year's Talamnia is coming together very nicely.

If you do not have the figures (Capital) or do not get them prior to Talamania, I am more than willing to let you borrow some for the event.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Doompup

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »

If you do not have the figures (Capital) or do not get them prior to Talamania, I am more than willing to let you borrow some for the event.

Thank you. That is a very generous offer. I am working on a trade for the Hvy infantry, but I'm not sure of it's status. I might order the others from Prince August (unfortunately, no Football Helmet Hvy gunners there yet  :'( ). I'm looking forward to it.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »

OK some for you:

Hope to see you there.

Thanks for all of the info. It sounds like fun - I hope to make it this year (as long as I don't have to get a formal invitation; I'd hate to impose on Dave).
As for your questions:

I'm probably 5 1/2 hours from Philly, but have been there and the surrounding areas several times, so somewhat familiar with it. I don't mind the trip.
I play Warzone/Capitol. I'm working on building my force up.
As for figures, currently I'm looking for the old style Capitol Hvy infantry (football helmets) with Hvy weapons x2 (to go with my old school infantry squad); Desert Scorpions Sgt. and Hero/tank-hunter; Capitol Rangers of any variety. I don't have a whole lot of Warzone or Chronopia to trade, but I do have minis from other games (Heroclix, Star Wars Minis, Starship Troopers, Infinity, others); I'm also always willing to buy my wants for reasonable prices.

Thanks again everyone. I am looking forward to participating in Talamania this year.

No formal invitation is needed.  Anyone who reads this is welcome.  Crash space is limited, but there are several motels/hotels nearby (within a mile - most, closer)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »

Thank you. That is a very generous offer. I am working on a trade for the Hvy infantry, but I'm not sure of it's status. I might order the others from Prince August (unfortunately, no Football Helmet Hvy gunners there yet  :'( ). I'm looking forward to it.

Whatever Capital you need for the event, I am sure I can let you borrow it for the weekend. I hope we will have a 750pt tourney this year (at least 3-4 games each. We will see if we have enough participants. If you need help with army lists let me know. There is also Dodger, Dave, Top, Archer and several others who can assist you. Do you have Army Builder?
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Doompup

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
Whatever Capital you need for the event, I am sure I can let you borrow it for the weekend. I hope we will have a 750pt tourney this year (at least 3-4 games each. We will see if we have enough participants. If you need help with army lists let me know. There is also Dodger, Dave, Top, Archer and several others who can assist you. Do you have Army Builder?

No I don't. Can I get that on the Warzone site with all of the links to the pdf books, etc.?
Thanks again for the offer. I'll have to start thinking about the 750 point range. I shouldn't get this excited - it's still 4 months away  ;D!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:37:23 AM »
We use version 2, so it should be available on e-bay etc. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bring all your Capitol figures and we can easily come up with a good list there.

We also play 1000pts but I am hoping for a 750pt tournet type atmosphere this year.

I am already getting set for Talamania also.

Other things at Talamania (besides Warzone/Chronopia):

Poker
Warmachine
Super Munchkin
Space/WWII flying games (help me out Dave)
SOTC
Spinespur
etc etc etc
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
Other things at Talamania (besides Warzone/Chronopia):

Poker
Warmachine
Super Munchkin
Space/WWII flying games (help me out Dave)
SOTC
Spinespur
etc etc etc

I iwll post a complete list of all games that I own and/or possess, currently, along with other games that I know will be here that weekend:

Miniatures
Ultimate Warzone
Chronopia
Silent Death
Full Thrust
Check Your 6!
CAV
OGRE
Spinespur
...and others

Board Games
Axis & Allies: Revised Edition
Battle Ball
Battlegrounds: Crossbows & Catapults
Munchkin Quest
Memoir '44
Duel of Ages
Tank Battle
Siege of the Citadel
Blood Berets
...and others

Card Games
Poker (at least one game on Saturday night - usually a $20 buy-in; first gets 80%, second gets 20%)
Munchkin (and many - if not all - of the expansions)
Infernal Contraption
Red Dragon Inn (?)
...and others

If I think of/remember any more, I'll post 'em.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!