Author Topic: My well meaning painting log  (Read 14347 times)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
My well meaning painting log
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:30:36 PM »
 As the title suggests I am going to try and paint some miniatures this year.I started today by undercoating four Dwarf Wlofclan miniatures.Also got the first metallics done on them.
 The need to get things moving comes from other forum members who have done armies.Thank you for guilting me into motivation  ;D.

Offline Von Koss

Re: My well meaning painting log
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »
Oh man! Oh man!...this is gonna be great.  One thing that helped me out a lot was to keep a small list by your painting table/area.  That way when you get a mini finished for the battlefield you just write it down with the completion date and after a year you can see if your making progress.  I know it may seem a little lame but it really starts to add up after just a few weeks.  Next thing ya know... you'll have a ready made "motivation" list right in front of you.   

Hang in there when you start to feel a little overwhelmed, it's tricky at first.  I like to bounce around from painting minis from one game system to another.  The greatest part of that is it can lead you to finishing a unit/war band/leader or war machine for each of your armies.  Spread the hobby wealth with all your armies, I say.  When you get inspired to focus on a specific army or system, go wild as you are the "King" of your painting log and when you look back you will have accomplished a pretty mean feat.

When things slow down at the painting desk (and it will as life can be mean and complicated at the best of times) I try to focus on doing a specific task better, faster, and more efficient than I did it previously.  Simple things we take for granted, like gluing a model to it's base.  We all have been there before, sitting impatiently waiting for the glue to set so we can put it down and move on to the next one.  I will go ahead and "crimp" all of the miniatures' tabs so that I can speed through gluing them down.  Its all about recognizing the little steps to put an end to the hobby slumps we go through sometimes.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
 Got a bit more done to them today.All going well I might have a new unit done by the weekend.

I think I will try to stay with my Chronopia miniatures for painting.I really want to get forces sorted for small games.The Wlof Clan Dwarves are a good choice as I have the Totem done already along with the Scavenger.Then I think it will be the Dark Tusks turn.Also got some Devout started.

Here's to hoping that I can get a small force for most factions done this year  :o.I can but dream.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
 Got the first unit done today.Just need to sort the bases out for them.Also started five more.Started a little routine of putting the first colour on one miniature then having a sip of beer.Seems to be working.Just dont paint too much or you will end-up doing more damage with paints.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:43:14 AM »
I will have to start one of these as soon as I get my terrain complete, chariot finished, etc etc. Always something in the way.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:18:22 AM »
 It is a very good way to keep motivated.Von Koss has been the one to get me moving.He really is putting me to shame.At the moment I have Dwarves,Devout and Goblins based and undercoated.One small force at a time though.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
Way to hang in there and stay the course.  Miner don't stress about the amount of painted minis or finished projects this early in the game.  I am also just doing baby steps on my collection and am by no means putting you or anyone to shame.  I have just been fortunate in finding my personal painting groove.  If you stay at it, you will too.

Come to think about it, it's kinda like the "runner's high" I hear so much about.  You know, when runners get to feeling real good when exercising.  (I really wouldn't know...I run the sink for water and that's about it :P)  You'll start the see those finished minis pile up and before long...a complete army.

By the way, how are those Dwarves coming along?  I ask because when I painted my Dark Tusks I studied them for a little bit and decided that if I base coated them with black then "over-brushed/dry-brushed" them the proper metallic color the boots and armor would be done.  Not a tremendous feat, but then again you have the model half way done.(I love half way done models...because at least your half way and not starting from scratch.)  Do this on fifteen models and now your making yourself an army.  Now decide on how you want the base of the model to look like and get that done.  Try this on all the war bands/army and  Uh-Oh, now the devil is just in the details.  ;) 

I am excited to see some activity from a veteran Forum member and whole heartedly applaud your efforts, just keep the momentum!

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
 Well after no updates for awhile I have completed several Dwarf miniatures.Thanks to prompting by Von Coss  ;).Pictures will be posted at the weekend.

I have done five Wolf Clan Swordsmen including the Leader.Four Wolf Clan Scouts.Also did the bases for the Darktusk Swordsmen,Leader and Standard that I sent away to be painted.

The next unit to get some lovin will be a full Devout Swordsmen Followers one.These have been sitting half done for awhile now.Need to dust them down first though.

Some older miniatures will need to have their bases re-done to fit in with the new style.

This seems to be a new surge in painting in the forums of late which is very inspiring.So to those who have forces to assemble let us see your painting log's too.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Yes, a surge of painting (and posting) is great for everyone!

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
Sounds like you've been busy... so come on and "Show Me The Minis!"   *claps hands and wriggles his rump in dance like fashion*  :D

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »
I will paint this weekend also. Not much else I can do since I will most likely be snowed in.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
I hear ya brother...

I ran out of primed models to paint so I set myself to just gluing models together and cleaning mold lines off of my figures...so much fun, I don't think I can stand it.  ::)

Roll on Spring time!

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »
So umm ... what have you been up to?  *wiggles eyebrows*

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »
 Well a long time with no updates from me  :-[.

I have bought a new camera and will try to get picture this weekend.

Not painted anything in awhile.Lots undercoated and ready to start just no motivation to get them done.I really need to join a club or something.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
How about a pic of your work space?

I always find it interesting in seeing where others do their painting magic.  Me...well, I'd paint upside down if I had too.  I have painted minis in all kinds of places such as:

* on the floor watching t.v.
* at a very small computer desk that wobbled a lot
* the bathroom ( hey, wives' have the best lights in there with all their make-up and "girly" tools)
* kitchen table
* in a galaxy far far away and a very long time ago I painted at work. (lunch time)

I have always wanted to go outside to paint on a pleasant day with little wind and abundant sunshine.  In fact I think I'll set that as a goal for the year and take pics for the rest of you fellas...just for something different to show.

2010- 294 (fail)