Author Topic: renaissance of warzone  (Read 7447 times)

Offline ewestphal

renaissance of warzone
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
A friend of mine and I had an idea to bring warzone into the 21st century, making a break from the original while at the same time respecting the background and fluff of the original. Essentially, I am talking reboot.   I am wondering if anyone here knows who holds the rights to which licenses?  I think it all reverted to Paradox, but I am not sure.  If I can acquire the rights, I can begin working on this in earnest.  If I can get it off the ground, I will need sculptors, painters and all manner of others to help. 

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: renaissance of warzone
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
The rights to Warzone and Mutant Chronicles are owned by Paradox.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
I wish you luck, as in my humble opinion...breaking from the original is why the movie and CMG failed to take off.

The original art of the mutant chronicles is its heart. I believe it is what captured people's attention. There's something about it that was rarely matched by games workshop's 40k.

That being said, times have changed...the 90ies was pretty much the golden age of wargaming and roleplaying games (as well as cardgames). Perhaps the gamers of today wouldn't like the setting as much as we did.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »
You aren't the only one to have the dream but unless you have a ton of cash and think you would like it when Paradox treats you like a new guy in prison I offer this bit of advice.....don't
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline ewestphal

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »
This is an idea I hatched a while back.  I am just a gmaer who dreams of bringing this setting back to life in the light of gamestores.  Will it happen?  Probably not, no illusions there.  Will I scrape the cash, I don't know what it would take but I know that initial invest in launching a system can easily top 3/4 million $, which I don't have (wish I had even a 10th of it.)  My reboot idea does not ignore the past of the system, rather it moves ahead a generation or less with one major event being out of keeping with the original.  I am being reclusive on this in case it actually works, but it involves a BIG boom. In my thinking, it would "freshen up" the system by shaking some  allegiances while paying due to the atmosphere of the art and previous games (except FFG's pathetic attempt, I love my hometown boys but they botched that one. I feel a little better that they weren't the first.) Does anyone know what the rights might cost (ballpark)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
Do a post search for Paradox. Amongst all the deragatory remarks is a price for the fights I believe
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
The original art of the mutant chronicles is its heart. I believe it is what captured people's attention. There's something about it that was rarely matched by games workshop's 40k.

That's why the first time i saw the art for an Inquisitor i fell in love! and HAD to play Brotherhood.

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
I would wish you luck.  It would be easier to start a new miniature game system.  I don't think there is enough interest out there to get people into into a game that has gone out of production more than once. 

If I had the rights I would look at redoing quite a few models, all the dark legion, most of the other factions models and all the vehickle models and redo the artwork.  I didn't like hardly any of the artwork.
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
I'm in the opposite boat. I love the artwork, but just never could get into the Warzone miniatures. There are some good ones, but most of them just do nothing for me.

Offline ewestphal

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
I love the artwork,  but if this were to happen (it won't , paradox and FFG still have a contract and Paradox has said MC products are out of the question until at least 2020 to give the liscence a "cooling off" period) it would be a new start, with a new name and a new storyline (well, one that starts about a generation after the warzone fluff.  I agree on the models, some are fantastic, most are mid-90s (you know what that means, chunky munkys in wonky scales) i have read some of what Cog had planned and thoguht that would work well coupled with my "big bang"(bye bye Luna)