Author Topic: Discussion: If you could re-do an Army...  (Read 12171 times)

Offline Lopis

Re: Discussion: If you could re-do an Army...
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
This is a good idea for all armies!

I wouldnīt say so for all of them.
Sure itīs nice to do that but remember Bauhaus has 4 Houses to cover which are not interchangeable.
If you do that with other arnies with only two factions the construction would be softened and in some cases might throw off balance in comparison to the others....
OK, imperial is an exception but other armies arenīt diminished in their choice of consuktants either...

And explicitly you micmellon should remember Bagombaīs golden rule: In the End the one with the support wins.....
So not everytime a good choice to throw in other elites instead if the original support....
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »
As far as Dark Legion goes I would rather be able to cross Apostles elites in a similiar way to Bauhaus.  You may choose Elite choises from other Aopstles but they count as Support choises instead.

If I am not mistaken, that can, already, be done.  That would be considered a "consultant."  I'll check.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »
Personally, I believe that Bauhaus is in need of a re-working, if only to no longer hear others' bemoaning the superiority of the force and its units.  ;D

That said, there really is no "over-all" force that I believe is in need of re-working.  Rather, it is my opinion that if one has a hard time with a given force, perhaps one should study the force to learn its strengths/weaknesses and exploit them.

:: now steps down from his soapbox ::
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:27:31 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »

I hope you are referring to the vulkan army of doom.

IMHO - Vulkans can be defeated- they are vuln to long ranged attacks and flamers. The problem is the in between distances with them. They are great at SR,MR (and LR). You have to engage and kill them at LR or greater, and/or PB/CC them with a risidual weapon (flamer).

This of course is in theory. In practice is hasn't been done.

I think another Bauhaus army with paradeploying flamers x 4 and snipers would give it a run for its money.

A Capital approach would be Orcas (w/ heavy flamer) and 2 squads sunset w flamer, sunset captain, somehow get a sniper in the army.

The result would be a blood fest.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »
i gave Dave a run for it with a Cartel Force many moons ago.

I lost... Dave's good but my getting ****y did not help.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

I hope you are referring to the vulkan army of doom.

IMHO - Vulkans can be defeated- they are vuln to long ranged attacks and flamers. The problem is the in between distances with them. They are great at SR,MR (and LR). You have to engage and kill them at LR or greater, and/or PB/CC them with a risidual weapon (flamer).

This of course is in theory. In practice is hasn't been done.

I think another Bauhaus army with paradeploying flamers x 4 and snipers would give it a run for its money.

A Capital approach would be Orcas (w/ heavy flamer) and 2 squads sunset w flamer, sunset captain, somehow get a sniper in the army.

The result would be a blood fest.

Technically, LR doesn't help you other than it puts more stuff in the way.  Vulkans can reach LR getting +1(x2).  The reason you don't get to shoot at that range is that there is, usually, intervening terrain.

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
its obvious the only answer to the vulkan army of doom is another vulkan army of doom.  followed by a small nuke.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 06:18:05 AM »
Nuke 'em from orbit..It's the only way to be sure.

You are right LR does not necessarily help. Maybe environmental would help.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »
As the game should never be played without copious amounts of terrain and some environmental rules, it is, truly, when it is an open field on a bright sunny day that Vulkans are at their best.

In one game I played, I had a squad of Vulkans in a subterranean game.  At one point, they were holding an important passage intersection.  PhillySniper sent his Soulslayers toward them.  He failed his environmental roll - badly!

Suddenly, the entire intersection erupted with steam and smoke, effectively blinding my Vulkans.  His Soulslayers made their saves - every last stinking one of them!  The Vulkans fell to Soulslayers, even though they had superior firepower, night vision gear, and supporting troops.

As for the Vulkan Army of Doom, it is, to say the least, a nightmare of min/maxing, and is lacking in flavor and style.  It is brute force, with just enough militia to field as many Vulkans as I can.

At last count, in a 1,000 PC battle, I could field 16 (yes, that's sixteen) of them.  In a perfect world (clear LOS, 6-12"), that's 144 shots per turn, with, roughly, 70% of those hitting their targets.  A quick calculation yields about 70 wounds in a turn.  Most armies cannot, possibly, stand up to that.  Hide, and get into CC with them.  Reduce their LOS, hit them with flamers (radiant and residual) and hope that I roll poor dice.

The army no longer sees the battlefield.  I merley threaten my opponents with the mere thought that I could bring it out... ;D

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 12:03:28 AM »
As far as Dark Legion goes I would rather be able to cross Apostles elites in a similiar way to Bauhaus.  You may choose Elite choises from other Aopstles but they count as Support choises instead.

If I am not mistaken, that can, already, be done.  That would be considered a "consultant."  I'll check.

As far as I know you can't.  In the book, under Dark Apostle Forces the last line is "They may never field units from another Apostle."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »

As far as I know you can't.  In the book, under Dark Apostle Forces the last line is "They may never field units from another Apostle."

Thanks, Sean.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »
I would love to see the mounted units get a reworking (maybe depowered a bit) so you can have larger units of them--

I've always loved the mix of mounted and high tech - a la WWI.  The use of them as a fast attack CC force-- Lawrence of Arabia, Civl War Cav, etc.

Just personal pref.

D

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:06 AM »

Maybe add an animosity rule where every turn the non-main apostle unit takes a leadership test and if they fail the rage against the nearest "friendly" unit; they couldn't stand the heckling and rivalry or something.

VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!