Author Topic: Question about Purple Sharks  (Read 12469 times)

Pax

Question about Purple Sharks
« on: November 16, 2009, 07:02:37 AM »
So, a question for the masses. I finally got myself together to get my own set of purple sharks, while I already got a set of Great Grey I'm now sitting and looking at the rules and thinking of what they could be used for?

I do notice the PS is worse than the great grey, it got less RC, less AC, less hight band range, same WD, and it is 3 points cheaper than a GG. With one exception, I got to buy a crew member along for 21-37 points extra. Also they can't team up but are only deployed in teams of 1. :(

So I'm looking at the three options: Gunner, Comm and Commander and I'm not sure what to chose.

Gunner: makes the RC same as the GG(!) and in essence makes the PS a 3/3 vehicle. That is nice and cost me the least, 83 points in total.

Comm: got marker grenades, forward observer ability. Thing is, the rules state he can't use his personal weapon while riding the PS. Do I have to disembark with him to make him able to throw that grenade? :)
Also is it even possible to use the forward observer ability? Will the PS stand still in mid air if doing so? It's a multi-crew vehicle after all so he must spend actions with the driver, but do that mean the driver only get 1 action he can do something on and I must use the forward observer ability on the first action? it takes 3 actions after all to use.

Commander: The commander acts as if he got a commanders helmet. This is nice. He must use this ability when within 20 inches of a unit though, 10 without a penalty so he must more or less be above them to avoid any larger penalties. Beyond that he do nothing unfortunately on the PS.

I'm obviously leaning towards the Gunner buyout, but what do others use these options for? And is someone able to explain the comm question?

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Question about Purple Sharks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:55:55 AM »
I use the gunner exclusively as a rider. I prefer Orcas as a vehicle choice, but the purple shark has proven itself very useful in a lot of games.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:45:58 AM »
That's why I've been quietly clamoring for a vehicle rules update - I think it'd be nice to revisit them and spruce up their purpose/effectiveness, and the game rules around them.  :)

D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:15:11 PM »
That's why I've been quietly clamoring for a vehicle rules update - I think it'd be nice to revisit them and spruce up their purpose/effectiveness, and the game rules around them.  :)

D

Yes indeed. That is why I am checking to make sure I have enough vehicles to field them appropriately when the new rules come out.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
I'd love to play a few larger battles with several vehicles - I have 3 Imperial walkers, 5 dragon bikes, and a whole fleet of purple shakrs!   ;D  ;D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
You may be able to soon.
The entire Capitol Army.

Pax

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:40 PM »
So, run with gunner and avoid the mess of the rest? :P

Offline Enker

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
Put your Purble Shark model in a shelf behind some glas.
It is useless, unless you want to have on of these two things:
1. You want a fast forward observer.
2. You want to take a location and let the optional Commander leave the Purple Shark.
Beside that this question has never been answered if the Commander can leave the Purble Shark.

If you just want to shot enemys the Great Grey is the much better choice.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Pax

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:57:58 AM »
heh, I'm actually seeing some use of them with a gunner since they would be a 3/3WD unit and have the same RC. Granted for more point cost, but at least I'd not have to worry about the PS being crippled in turning abilities or RC values if something manages to hit it twice.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 06:15:46 AM »
2. You want to take a location and let the optional Commander leave the Purple Shark.
Beside that this question has never been answered if the Commander can leave the Purble Shark.

I tend to dissagree (respectfully). You may want to come to a Talamania and watch Dodger or Cobalt play these. They definately have figured out how to use them effectively.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
It would be a shame if those were their only uses -- they're such aweesome models and cool concepts - I do think they should be more effective - I've always felt they should have some kind of special RC penalty to be hit - since they're moving so fast.

D

Pax

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »
Well, getting higher AC had been useful. (harder to hit).

Or they could be made to field in group of 1-2. Then they would have a advantage towards the GG that must be fielded alone. This could also balance the higher cost for the PS. Of course that had probably made them into Capitols Necromovers on wings. :P

Or they could have gotten a rule, that would hurt the GG a bit I suppose but:

PS is able to hover in place due to twin engines. So able to acquire a +3 stand still RC bonus. GG must always move forward with only one engine that bolts it forward (Flying unit standing still in air = crash) after all. :D

Edit: Anyway, no one that got any suggestions on how to use them? Except in the display case of course.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »

I tend to dissagree (respectfully). You may want to come to a Talamania and watch Dodger or Cobalt play these. They definately have figured out how to use them effectively.

I concur.  It was, originally, jjdodger for whom the term, "Richard Dance" was coined.  He initiated with the EDD, then turned it into an art form on the level of the Flamenco with the Purple Shark.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
It would be a shame if those were their only uses -- they're such aweesome models and cool concepts - I do think they should be more effective - I've always felt they should have some kind of special RC penalty to be hit - since they're moving so fast.

D

Speed is it's own addition to AC.  Of course, one has to make use of it.  Please, refer the Richard Dance.

P.S.:  Has anyone else noticed how dangerously close to 1000 posts WarzoneD is getting?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
Or they could be made to field in group of 1-2. Then they would have a advantage towards the GG that must be fielded alone. This could also balance the higher cost for the PS. Of course that had probably made them into Capitols Necromovers on wings.

You may be on to something.

The entire Capitol Army.