Author Topic: Best Warzone Tactical Moment  (Read 10304 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Best Warzone Tactical Moment
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:09:30 PM »
Been kinda quiet around here-- thought I'd engender some conversation--

So what was your favorite/best/most awesomest-est, tactical stroke of genuis in a game--

D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Best Warzone Tactical Moment
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:44:37 AM »
Maybe not the best "tactical" moment, but the one or two that stick out in my mind are:

Hiding in cover with a squad of Trenchers waiting on the Vulkan army of doom to arrive. They of course arrived and somehow I survived the initial gun burst. Normally one would aim, fire, fire or just fire, fire, fire with what was left of the entire squad at the Vulkans. I decided it was time to break out the strenth +4 spades and charge them instead. Managed to take down one or two I think. It surprized Dave more than me. Now he had to roll to break from CC since Vulkans are not vehicles of course. The CC score for the Vulkan and Trencher trooper is the same. Charging also closed the gap between the squads and eliminated his best weapon's optimal range 6-12. If I had a Charger it would have turned out better for me since with deadshot I could shoot into the CC I created without fear of hitting my own guys. As it turned out the under manned and on the brink of panic Trencher's died a glorious death but manged to take out some vulkans doing so.

How to beat the Vulkan army of doom:

1. Lots of flamers
2. Get into and stay in CC with them
3. Hope he doesn't bring the vulkan army of doom to the battle.

Option 3 seems to work the best.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
Great story!  Heroic and strategic.  Karma to you.  Does seem odd that Vulkans can't break from combat but so it be.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
Great story!  Heroic and strategic.  Karma to you.  Does seem odd that Vulkans can't break from combat but so it be.

They can (like other non-vehicular units). They are not vehicles so do not have auto break. The breaking from combat can be achieved with winning an opposing roll to do so. It does cost one of their actions. Thus the reason I needed all the models I could to be in CC with them due to modifiers to help stay in CC. I think that is what Dave did and then he opened up at PB (not optimal but still a good range band for Vulkans).
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »
Hmmm.....  Not tactical... but definitely epic.

LI Captain at Origins a few years ago.  Lost his squad to a unit of Imp Regulars and Trenchers....  "You killed my Men!" He wailed and charged forward.

Shotgun blast drops a pair of regulars.

Next Turn- "You imp bastards killed my Men!!"  Charges the remainder of the Imp troops and begins cutting them in CC with his knife.

Last Action- another Shotgun blast at the nearby Regulars, killing them.

Trnechers come in and attempt to shoot down the mad captain.  Fail....  Next Turn
"You imp bastards killed my Men!!  You'll pay for that!!"

Charges the Trenchers.... kills one and gets locked in CC with another.
Finally mobbed and killed.

But it did set the scene for the rest of the Capitol army to clean up the remaining Imperials.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
Brilliant!  Love it.

@Lucky - yes sir, I'm familiar with the rules, what I was trying to say was that it seems weird that machines that large can't autobreak the way a vehicle does.  :D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
They should be able to IMHO sice they are more machine than man. They do have a CC weapon but they work best at SR of course. Great thread BTW.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:06:01 AM »
Okay - here is one of mine--

My Imperial forces were in a vicious firefight with a Cult Army.  Outnumbered we were soon hemmed in.  The Dark Legion general smelled victory and poured on a charge a clustering his forces together--

But he assumed my lack of figs ont he table was a result of Imperials high point cost.  He didn' t observe the majority of my table froces were grunt units.

When all seemed lost, I para-deployed a units of Blood Beret loaded with FT's specs on the DL flank and opened fire-- toasted cultists with marshmellows. 

The following turn I para-deployed second unit of BB's and did the same on the other flank. 

On mty necxt activation, I activated my colonel who then gave orders to 3 units-- 2 groups of Wolfbairns and Wolfbane Commandos to leap from their covered positions and charge the cultists in HTH.

The enemy broke under the swathe of fire and steel and Imperial soon won the day.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
WarzoneD you can only give orders to 1 unit per turn. Check page 43 6.2.9-Give orders. ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline micmellon

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:05:41 PM »
Most likly this great moment of WarzoneD is some time ago and not played in UWZ or how you got Flamer spec. in a BB squad? Was it 2nd Edition?
But anyway it sounds like a great moment for the brave Imperial Corp. and a lot of fun for the player!  ;D
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
@: Give orders-- Oops!  I owe my foe an apology!   Ah, well-- live and learn,

I believe they were Black Berets, of the speciality BB troops - Prince Charles' crew (of course, they don't para-deploy, so it seems like we messed that one up--!).   ;D

It was a while ago, but still, how embarrasssing.  :o ??? :P :-\

Anywho - keep the stories coming--

D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:39:30 PM by warzoneD »

Offline Enker

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »
Best tactical moments, hmm?

We played a four player scenario in which you had to take a bridge and each player started in a different corner of the table.
(Yes the one in the battle report forum).
I (Capitol) played with Imperial against Mishima and Bauhaus.
Lopis landed his Blitzer on the head of the bridge and placed mines everywhere.
It was very hard to step throught the mines.
Beside that he used Infiltrators so that they were able to play with two players against one (Imperial).
And they nearly completly ignored my army which was to slow to assist my comrade much.

The Pegasi moment. Again a four player game.
I fielded three Pegasi. Bauhaus and I played against Mishima and Imperial.
Our Problem was that Mishima always had more activations and that is deadly in a szenario with unlimited LOS in the first round.
So my Pegasi used their Reg.Tr. to spot a few models.
"That was it?". "No!". One Pegasi drove straight towards the deployment zone and spottet everything in LD.
Now we had a lot of targets for our messy assault rifle army and put them into a hail of bulletts.

Ah and one other.
I played against Mishima. Each one had to defend his Trench and on the end of the six round you just count the models which you had behind the enemy trench.
I fielded a lot of Wailing Banshees. The first turns I just sit behind my trench and shot Mishima down.
On the last two turns my Banshees came out of their cover and jumped behind the Mishima Trench.
One of my rare victorys against the Mishimen Army of Death.

I think there are more good tactical moments (esp. from my comrades). But these are the ones I remember at the moment.
And always remember. The best tactics doesn't work without luck. But sometimes luck seems to prefer the one with the better strategie.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
Playing an all cartel agent army against Daves Vicktors army? ( the Bahauas power suit dudes) and winning.
Great game that was, still look back fondly to that one.

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »
Seeing's as a few of these stories have to sdo with battling against me, I should say that I have had more than my fair share of cool tactical moments.  Unfortunately, they usually (as described in this thread) involved me being shown better tactics than I was displaying.  Kudos to those, for I always try to bring my "A" game.

That said, allow me to share one of mine where I was, actually, not the victim.

I strung my forces (a squad of Dragoons and two of militia) across the DZ at the start.  I was playing Tim "luckyone" Lewicki.  At the start, I separated the sniper, and found a good position to get some good shots.  I put the rest of the Dragoons and the militia in minimized-presence, and let my guns reach out for some negotiations-at-range.

Tim started advancing his forces.  He knew he'd have to dig me out, so he started to attempt to flank me, taking positions of cover in the hills.  In his advance out of his DZ, he left an opening.  On turn two, I dropped a drop-zone template in his DZ, leaving myself, literally, no room for error.  I put my Romanov Blitzers off to side, and started rolling my troops in.

The first one, the Sergeant, landed, but missed the template.  Then he failed his landing roll.  Now, I'm thinking, "This ain't gonna go well."  I pull one of the two squad FT Specs.  I roll a "2"!  Awesome; on the template!  He sticks his landing like he was going fr a perfect score at the Olympics, and has two AC's available to him.  I advance and blast, cooking a few of Tim's troops.  Feeling good about myself, I grab the second FT spec.  Another "2"!  Again, sticking the landing, I roast a few more.  I land the rest of the squad without losing a man.  Tim's squad is on the verge of panic.  Realizing the my squad of Blitzers is, now, activated, he ignores them for more pressing business.  He activates a squad and sends rounds down-range at my dug-in forces.

On my next activation, I whip out a second squad of Romanov Blitzers, and go for the same landing spot.  Again, both FT specs made perfect landings, and destroyed what remained of the squad immediately near them, and engaged another squad as there were no closer targets.

Tim could only shake his head while conceding the battle.  I had just beaten Tim, and was beaming.  I have so few of those moments, anymore.  ::sigh::
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 12:50:37 AM »
APPLAUSE!  That was a fine story, sir.

D