Author Topic: What's a good demo Point number?  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Pieper

What's a good demo Point number?
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:46:38 AM »
The main goal is to show off units  and the game, but keep it short.
Given the following armies to build from:
Bauhaus
Imperial
Cybertronic
DL Illian

Offline WarlordtheFT

• Journeyman
Re: What's a good demo Point number?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »
IMHO, I'd say 500 pts each side if only two sides are involved. 300 if your doing it as a 4 way. That way each side will get at least one nifty unit (like a deathdroid or attila squad for the cybers) along with the two grunt squads. Then the person won't
435th AI Assault Regiment "Disposable Heroes"
Cybertronic

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 09:50:30 AM »
I recommend 350, that generally gets you one grunt squad one elite squad and an individual, which will help introduce new players to all three types of troops without holding them up and hitting them with too much at one time.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:03:45 AM »
1 Grunt, 1 Elite and 1 Indie is good. But just one squad and one individual works fine as well.

If you just give them a squad and an indie each you can have several newbies at the same time. It's important to keep things moving and not bog new players down with too many options.

For complete newbies to Warzone or Chrono I would suggest just giving them the basic actions of moving, shooting, charging and waiting. Stuff like Aim, MP etc etc can come later.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »
I agree with Coil.

usually I use the prettiest Grunt squad I have, the Prettiest Elites and the most inspiring Individual model I have.  Or an individual and a Squad.

Anything larger and it's a full size game, and with newbies that can get unwieldy unless you have a Crusader per kid.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
I think the pretty part is important, if things look cool you'll attract more interest. I've demoed using just Elites and an Indie as well (force composition is a rule you can explain later on if they are that interested.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
Depends on what the target audience is. If they are experienced gamers then a higher point total is warranted. If they are total newbies then a lower number is better. The demo scenario also plays a factor. Depending on these factors a good demo can run from 300 points up to 800 or 1,000. the important thing is to judge the abilities of your audience and err on the side of simplicity. It's easy to arrange a bigger game for someone who gets it but the fastest way to lose a potential player is to put him/her into a game over their ability level.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »
Topkick speaks wisdom.  Use the KISS rule to the max (Keep It Simple Stupid).  It's easy to set up another, more complex game for a player who blows through the quick demo.  It's impossible (as Top has said) to go the other direction.

I have several pre-made force lists to pull out at a moments notice.  They are all between 225 and 235 pts.  That's just enough to give two small squads except for my Cyber list.  It has 2 squads and an Indy. 

I also have a simple scenario and terrain to set 3 tables of it.  The area is roughly 3'x3' and has an objective in the middle.  I give them 4 rounds to see who can capture and maintain possession of the objective.  This is important because it takes the focus off of shooting and killing.  Someone who sustains a few early casualties can still pull the game out if they stay focused on the objective.  The short time frame (4 rounds) helps to get the pieces moving and provides for a quick game.

As Coil mentioned, it all has to look pretty.  You catch more GW players with honey then you do with vinegar.  ;D
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
The first time I saw a UWZ demo. It started with just the units in the starter kit <imperial and Bauhaus>, a small 3x3 area some terrain and a couple of dice. AFter a quick tutorial we played and then I started gawking at some of the painted metal figs and creatures.

So Id have to say from personal experience, keep it small 250-350, for max saturation. You can always do more with more later. The simplicity of the game was what set the hook, the figs were the bait. Focus on those two and youll have new gamers in no time.

Philly
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Pieper

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the input folks.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 02:29:33 PM »
I have, usually, found that if I ignore points and just put out 1 grunt squad, 1 elite squad, and an individual on each side, a great game is had.  It is not too overwhelming for the new player, and it is easy for me to memorize the stats for all models in play.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 02:39:44 PM »
Me too, the points don't have to be exactly the same, just in the same general range.

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »
While we're on the subject of building armies for demo purposes what, if any, special abilities do you think are best avoided in demo games?

Impersonation, and Lurk are two that jump out to me that should definately not be used until everyone has a chance to get the basics under there belt.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 03:17:49 PM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »
I think that Ambush, Form Fireteam, Stalk are all bad, and Deadshot should probably be avoided...

or, you could just ignore special abilities altogether...

B.
not good at making demo forces...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 09:01:14 PM »
Try to avoid anything beyond the basics.  Anything that requires more than a sentance or two of explaination.  Ambush is ok as is Enchance Charge (you can't get away from it in Mishima lists).  Paradeploy is a bit much, unless they're pretty advanced players (personally I love the Paradeploy mechanic so I try to keep some Airborne Rangers or Blood Berets nearby).

Everything from the DarkLegion side of the SA's is straight out.

Basic, simple, enough to get them interested not enough to drown them. 

If they have questions send em to me.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum