Author Topic: How often do you play UWZ?  (Read 13743 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: How often do you play UWZ?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »
Getting games finished in two hours requires a few things:
 - Players need to be well-versed in the rules.
 - Quick Reference Sheets are a must!
 - Objectives, objectives, objectives.
 - Players must be willing to forego discussing interpretations until after the game in which the event happened to inspire the discussion.
 - Players must be well-versed in the rules!
 - Move quickly; measure one model, then move the rest as a squad.  Do not worry about the eighths of inches - it all balances out, range-wise.
 - Players must not argue cover, range, etc.  If it is close, err on the side of having fun and moving the game along.  Our group never haggles over eighths of an inch.
 - Agree on rules interpretations prior to starting the game.
 - PLAYERS MUST BE WELL-VERSED IN THE RULES! ;D (I cannot stress this enough).  If you are running a demo, you do your student and you a disservice if you are playing a game that is larger than 500 PC; 350 - 400 PC should be more than enough to run a demo.
 - Last, but by no means least, players should remember to have fun over all else.  It matters not, to me, that I beat my opponent if neither of us (especially my opponent) enjoys it.  Therefore, we never quabble over the minutia.  If we can sit back, afterward, and tell good stories about the game, then it was a success!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline micmellon

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »
I know it is not the topic of this one but joshuaslater do you got any answer from Thom regarding Pathfinders?

Sorry Enker to abuse this topic all the time  ;D but the "Topic: MOVED: Imperial Wolfpack Pathfinders, expensive for what?" is closed for replies.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
I've never gotten to play UWZ.  :'(

I never wanted to play 2 Ed.

I played metric tons of 1 Ed.
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Enker

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 02:21:32 AM »
One word to the playtime.

I belong to the German four player party.
And as some already said we need about 8 hours for one game.
But then we have 3000 - 4000 Points on the board.
You must keep in mind that a double of points does more than a double of playtime.
Why? If you only had to activate the double amount of models it would only double the playtime.
But with more models you first must think much longer which one you activate and what to do with this model.
And you discuss some steps with your teammate which takes time, too.

Unfortunatlly still some time goes into rules clarifications and discussions and that after playing UWZ for years.
And the later the evening gets more time goes into drinking beer and celebrating the glorious deeds of our soldiers.

Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 06:49:29 AM »
I reminded him.  If he doesn't chime in, I'll try to turn him upside down for an answer and post it.   ;)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Spoon_Para

• Ganymede
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »
Hi guys,
as I am new to the forum, I think this is the best thread I can start with. I started playing 2nd Edition few years back with my brother and a friend. Then there was a pause for a prolonged period up to now. We discovered Prince August about half a year ago (which is kind of late as many miniatures we wanted are long gone and unavailable) but anyway we got our hands on some great things we didn't even know to exist. At about a same time I found UWZ on Ebay and got the rules shipped here to Czech Republic. There was all-round happiness followed by drinking session to celebrate that the game is still alive  ;D only to find out few days later the true fate of this spectacular thing. But anyway I managed to find this forum and see that there is still good community around Warzone which is absolutely great. So much for introduction...

Back to the question. We play about one game a month depending on many factors. Sometimes 3 players, but mostly only 2. I will try to post some battle/miniature pictures as soon as i got them into my computer.

One more thing....thanks to the "dmcgee1's  ten tips for fast and furious game"  :) we finally managed to finish a game in 1,5 hour yesterday  ;)  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:55:05 AM by Spoon_Para »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »
***   WELCOME TO THE FORUMS   ***   ***   WELCOME TO THE FORUMS   ***   ***   WELCOME TO THE FORUMS   ***   ***   WELCOME TO THE FORUMS   ***   ***   WELCOME TO THE FORUMS   ***   
Welcome aboard, Spoon-Para.  It is always great to see new players join us, even if they are only new to these forums.

Explore the forums.  It is a very good community, and you will always find someone to help, advise, or joke with.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 07:33:08 AM »
Indeed-it's an honor to have you here.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »
I don't play nearly enough. >:( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( >:(
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y